nurburgring car wanted

Permabanned
County said:
Although the E30 M3 is four cylinders you will be hard pushed to find a decent one knocking around without spending too much money.Also never released over here in RHD. You will notice i posted that it all depends on BUDGET :D

Not really knowledgeable on the E30 318iS although to find an unmoloested example will be hard to find again at a decent price, as i said before in the post all depends on budget.

And as for finding a 320is :p .

Dont you think a better response would have been like the one posted by Sone?

Cheers :)

The 318iS isn't that hard to find. Most seem to be pretty mint too.

Vastly preferable to any of the 6-pot E30s.

*n

Soldato
Nissan 200SX, either S13 1.8 turbo or S14 2.0 turbo
1992-1996 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC, BB4 model (one without sunroof or 4ws)
Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC

Associate
penski said:
The 318iS isn't that hard to find. Most seem to be pretty mint too.

*n

Serious?

Tell me where to find them, but as i said before all a matter of budget.

You had experience? If you have can explain why as i would like to know why :D

Permabanned
County said:
Serious?

Tell me where to find them, but as i said before all a matter of budget.

There have been four or five on eBay this year and I've seen three sold locally since I moved here in February. They're not as common as a silver 1.6 Focus but they're certainly out there and, if you are after such a vehicle, a month's hunt for one is not duch a hardship.

You had experience? If you have can explain why as i would like to know why :D

Driven a 318iS and a 325i on a local airfield - found the former much more sure-footed, nimble and evenly balanced. The big six really weighed the nose of the 325i down.

Not had a chance of an E30 M3...yet ;)

Hopefully I will at some point.

That said, I prefer the looks of the 325i M-sport to all other E30s. Even the M3.

As I said above, drop the 535i lump into a 325i and do a DIY-turbo job on it Toby Unna-style...Aim at 350bhp and smile :)

*n

Associate
As much as i love BMW i am slowly getting into Alpina manufactured BMWs :D

B5<-------Now thats a car for the Nurburgring :cool:

2mqw9ab.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
he lives in germany 130km from the track!

Everyone seems to be ignoring this. Go with the E30 idea. 325i is IMO the best drive. Others seem to disagree but to me the 318 seems a but gutless.

Permabanned
Jez said:
Go with the E30 idea. 325i is IMO the best drive. Others seem to disagree but to me the 318 seems a but gutless.

318iS != 318.

16v alloy head, a great exhaust manifold, forged crank, 10:1 SCR, lighter conrods and pistons, M3 Engine mounts, stiffer, lower, less-roll, M-tech spec suspension, 4.10:1 LSD...

Acceleration appears slightly hampered on paper by a need to change into third at 50mph but they're certainly not a 318i.

*n

Soldato
TomO said:
NOT a hot hatch and NOT a diesel! this is a high speed racing track. the uphills will make most things feels gutless. if you are aiming for around 9 minutes then that means you will be averaging almost 90mph. :)

I've been there and my 'gutless' diesel fabia did 9 minutes 57 secs. Yes, I had hired a BMW training driver to teach me the track, but even he said that the twin turbo 535d was probably quicker than an M5 in the hands of a less experienced driver. You actually don't want power to drag you up a hill, you want torque. There's not much quicker up a hill than a small car with a big diesel engine in it.

Man of Honour
WJA96 said:
I've been there and my 'gutless' diesel fabia did 9 minutes 57 secs. Yes, I had hired a BMW training driver to teach me the track

So you had a BMW trainer, 130bhp and a Fabia and you barely managed to beat austinpowers time in an 82bhp Astra DTI estate loaded with IT gear?

Good skills mate, that Fabia must be something really special ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
So you had a BMW trainer, 130bhp and a Fabia and you barely managed to beat austinpowers time in an 82bhp Astra DTI estate loaded with IT gear?

Good skills mate, that Fabia must be something really special ;)

Sorry but that really made me laugh :D :p

Soldato
WJA96 said:
You actually don't want power to drag you up a hill, you want torque. There's not much quicker up a hill than a small car with a big diesel engine in it.

Load of carp. If you have 4 people in your car and a boot full of gear then yes. With one or two people in the car ragging it round a track and using the gear stick, Ill take the power thanks.

I'd take a Vetc Honda over any similarly powered diesel hatchback everytime.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

When you get back from the ring Fox, then perhaps you will be in a position to comment on times. Imho 9:57 is a very good time in that car.

Anyone know the power and weight of the van Sabine struggled to hit 10:00 in?

Soldato
Trickle said:
When you get back from the ring Fox, then perhaps you will be in a position to comment on times. Imho 9:57 is a very good time in that car.

Anyone know the power and weight of the van Sabine struggled to hit 10:00 in?

What time did you do it in Trickle ??

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I've been there and my 'gutless' diesel fabia did 9 minutes 57 secs. Yes, I had hired a BMW training driver to teach me the track, but even he said that the twin turbo 535d was probably quicker than an M5 in the hands of a less experienced driver. You actually don't want power to drag you up a hill, you want torque. There's not much quicker up a hill than a small car with a big diesel engine in it.

i think that is a good time for the car. however are you seriously telling me that you think that fabia would be better that an stripped out E30 325i as a car for specifically going around the ring? :confused:

also, i am pretty confident that my big petrol engined car would be a lot faster on the long uphill section than the fabia.

Soldato
Sorry - did I forget to mention I still had the BMW guy with me when I did that? We did a bit of standing about watching, a bit of road driving so he could see my level, a bit more standing around chatting about lines and safety, then he took me out and drove me around for 3 laps. I then drove on and off for a total of 15 laps. I didn't have time/money for any laps on my own, but as I have a customer in Euskirchen I have a perfect excuse to go back. Doubtless I'll get it down further, but seriously, what sort of lap times should I be aiming for? I'm quite happy to accept that I'm a carp driver, but the car's NOT slow. It will do a genuine 140mph no problem (it doesn't need a long run-up to that either) and the in-gear times are VERY quick.

Soldato
what engine mods are done then as looking at the skoda website 140mph is not standard.

i wouldnt really aim for specific lap times, wouldnt want to push too hard. is nice to get a good time, but its always tempting in a bad way to push harder on a timed lap.

just have fun embarassing faster stuff, easy to do as a lot of things are driven sedately or by people who dont know the track!

btw - i clock 140mph on the long uphill strech ;)

Soldato
TomO said:
i think that is a good time for the car. however are you seriously telling me that you think that fabia would be better that an stripped out E30 325i as a car for specifically going around the ring? :confused:

also, i am pretty confident that my big petrol engined car would be a lot faster on the long uphill section than the fabia.

I'm not saying it wouldn't, but for £3000 the OP couldn't buy the wheels and tyres on yours. He could buy a 5 year old Golf with the PD engine. We're not arguing over whether I'm a poor driver or whether my car is slower than an M5 uphill, but I'll take bets my Fabia 1.9l with 165bhp and 360lb/ft of torque will beat a tuned, low torque 2.0 BMW any day of the week, especially as I've got a 6-speed box and he'll only have 5. Like I said, don't **** off the car if my driving's timid.

Back
Top Bottom