nurburgring car wanted

Associate
Bear said:
What time did you do it in Trickle ??

After I span in the wet I decided not to time myself in the dry.

I looked at the in car clock each time when I did 6 laps in the dry on the final evening and when I finished and was slowing down I looked at the clock again and each time it showed + 10 minutes. Which could mean I got a time of 11:55 each lap or could mean I got under 10.

I passengered with Yak and I doubt I was faster than him. He got a 9:57 on the last day with Kev. I dont think he was pushing too hard either. We'd both done 4 days there - 3 in heavy rain - and seen plenty of crashes to want to risk everything for a flash time. I tried that in the wet on the 2nd day.

Soldato
TomO said:
what engine mods are done then as looking at the skoda website 140mph is not standard.

I've got the newer type Superchips upgrade (165-175BHP depending who's figures you believe), the Ibiza PD160 intake and the Jabba Sport ARB at the back. I'm also running 7kg Minilite wheels which make an amazing difference.

Man of Honour
WJA96 said:
And I only said it had to have the PD engine - it didn't have to be a GT TDI.

Go on then, show me a Gold TDI PD on a 51 plate for £3k*

*That isn't stolen, or just about dead, or something.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I'm not saying it wouldn't, but for £3000 the OP couldn't buy the wheels and tyres on yours. He could buy a 5 year old Golf with the PD engine. We're not arguing over whether I'm a poor driver or whether my car is slower than an M5 uphill, but I'll take bets my Fabia 1.9l with 165bhp and 360lb/ft of torque will beat a tuned, low torque 2.0 BMW any day of the week, especially as I've got a 6-speed box and he'll only have 5. Like I said, don't **** off the car if my driving's timid.

i'm not suggesting he buys my car. i am suggesting an E30 325. which is easy to get for £3k and is also not 2 litre. :confused:

my comment regarding my M5 up the hill was based on the fact that you said there wouldnt be much quicker than a small car with a big diesel engine in it.

Soldato
TomO said:
i'm not suggesting he buys my car. i am suggesting an E30 325. which is easy to get for £3k and is also not 2 litre. :confused:

It would be less of a done deal, but I'm still prepared to meet someone with a 325i of that vintage and take a run at a long hill. I do most of my overtaking up hills :D

TomO said:
my comment regarding my M5 up the hill was based on the fact that you said there wouldnt be much quicker than a small car with a big diesel engine in it.

LOL - how common are M5's then? An M5 is a supersaloon. There is no other word to describe it. But I still believe what the BMW instructor told me - In the hands of a less experience driver the 535d would be faster than the M5 because you can completely miss a gear change and it matters far less, you just push yourself out of the corner a bit slower. In a petrol car, you'd be bogged down and looking for a lower gear.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Go on then, show me a Gold TDI PD on a 51 plate for £3k*

*That isn't stolen, or just about dead, or something.

Autotrader.nl has a 2000 Golf TDI 115 with 260,000km on it (but then your suggested Beemer needs an engine rebuild anyway doesn't it?) that is priced at 5500 Euro, but haggling for cash would get that down to closer to £3000 sterling ;)

It is red though. :rolleyes:

He could get one of several LHD Ibiza or Leon TDI's though with more like 100-150,000km on the clock for about 5000 Euro.

Soldato
Trickle said:
After I span in the wet I decided not to time myself in the dry.

I looked at the in car clock each time when I did 6 laps in the dry on the final evening and when I finished and was slowing down I looked at the clock again and each time it showed + 10 minutes. Which could mean I got a time of 11:55 each lap or could mean I got under 10.

I passengered with Yak and I doubt I was faster than him. He got a 9:57 on the last day with Kev. I dont think he was pushing too hard either. We'd both done 4 days there - 3 in heavy rain - and seen plenty of crashes to want to risk everything for a flash time. I tried that in the wet on the 2nd day.

Dont get me wrong, Im not judging anyone on their times, I was just curious. Ive never driven it so who am I to say how good or bad a time is. Half of it is how willing you are to cane it, obviously the more you value your car the less you feel willing to push it and risk an off into a barrier.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
So you had a BMW trainer, 130bhp and a Fabia and you barely managed to beat austinpowers time in an 82bhp Astra DTI estate loaded with IT gear?

Good skills mate, that Fabia must be something really special ;)

:p

[QUOTE='TomO]btw - i clock 140mph on the long uphill strech ;)[/QUOTE]

Around 100-110mph in the Rover and 65-75mph in the Astra :D

Soldato
WJA96 said:
Autotrader.nl has a 2000 Golf TDI 115 with 260,000km on it (but then your suggested Beemer needs an engine rebuild anyway doesn't it?) that is priced at 5500 Euro, but haggling for cash would get that down to closer to £3000 sterling ;)

It is red though. :rolleyes:

He could get one of several LHD Ibiza or Leon TDI's though with more like 100-150,000km on the clock for about 5000 Euro.

i think you have got a little carried away with diesel love here.

all race cars are petrol for a reason (aside from publicity stunts and rule fudges - audi @ le mans)

even if a FWD diesel hatchback could get a similar time around the track as a RWD well balance 6 pot petrol, i know for sure which one would be the more entertaining drive.

Soldato
No, I made a suggestion and I got a load of nonsense back - about usual it appears. At least one of the people posting hasn't actually done the 'ring but he knows what he's talking about I'm sure.

I also found this, which makes some of these claimed lap times look a bit, well, good. I'm assuming that a German car magazine probably has some proper lap timing equipment (my BMW guy had a satellite gizmo that did it all for you) and I reckon they probably have a few experienced drivers too.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61673

[Edit]Sorry - you have to scroll to the bottom[/Edit]

Ones that I find especially interesting are the Alpina B10, the Mercedes CLK430 and VW Golf V6 4-Motion. All big-engined petrol cars. The German lady driver with the Transit was less than 1 minute slower than the Golf V6!

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
With Automatic gearboxes. Hardly best for fast track driving.

The Golf definitely isn't a Automatic. The Mercedes can be had with a manual and the Alpina almost certainly is Automatic. I actually think the problem is that they don't go round corners too well, or (the Golf) they are too lardy to get up the hills, big motors or no. The auto gearbox thing can't be the reason as almost all the Mercs are automatic now - even the SLR.

Honda Civic Type R - that's a track car isn't it? 8 minutes 47 is good in that company.

I don't feel so bad now.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
No, I made a suggestion and I got a load of nonsense back - about usual it appears. At least one of the people posting hasn't actually done the 'ring but he knows what he's talking about I'm sure.

Ive openly said I havent driven the track and said Im not judging anyones times as Ive havent driven it. All I said was you were talking crud about you not needing power but torque to get up a hill.

Back
Top Bottom