Any opinions on the SE p990i?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hey guys, im looking around for a new phone at the mo, and i quite like the idea of the P990I or something along those lines, i have a Nokia N70 at the mo and its been my first foray into the nokia world for a while, and tbh the phone has been a complete disappointment, largely due to the bluetooth functionality :(

Anyway, has anyone got a P990? whats it like, the camera any good? whats the battery life, and lastly anyone spotted any deals for it on O2? i presume sim free prices are round the £400 mark?

Soldato
I have an M600i and monitor the UIQ3 forums a fair bit, so although I don't own one, I feel reasonable informed enough to comment.
The UIQ3 OS is really new and has it's fair share of bugs, a few have been ironed out in the time between the M600i release (which also has the UIQ3 OS) and the P990 release, however, it's still really quite buggy in some areas. Thankfully the Sony Ericsson Update Service means you can upgrade your firmware online, so you are always able to install newer and less buggy firmwares as they're released.
In short, it's potentially a superb phone, but the bugs needs to be ironed out before it can live up to that.
Your best bet is to check the Symbian UIQ3 forum here:

http://www.my-symbian.com

It'll give you a mountain of info on the P990.

One thing though, if you need to pick up a branded handset (e.g. Vodafone, Orange etc...) then try your best to go for O2, as they generally do very little to the phone when branding. My M600i is vodafone branded and some of the functions have been heavily butchered, they really do take the ****.
Oh and neither the M600i or the P990 work properly on the vodafone live website, regardless of what vodafone say.

Soldato
mcwildcard said:
One thing though, if you need to pick up a branded handset (e.g. Vodafone, Orange etc...) then try your best to go for O2, as they generally do very little to the phone when branding.

Current Vodafone P990i stock isnt branded on the outside or inside, only a start up logo appears. nothing else.

Associate
Tinders said:
Do you reckon they will be sim locked on voda, cos i can either stay with them and upgrade or move to O2.
Currently the P990i Voda are supplying are fully unlocked. No dbout when the Live!'d up handsets start appearing within the next month or so they will be network locked however.

Incidently, to the OP SIM free prices are currently around the £540 mark. I got mine a few weeks ago now - was one of the first batches into the UK. I know Spawn here on the forums got his at the same time. The original firmware was pretty rough but the two last firmware updates have sorted most of the major stuff out. I am really happy with mine - it is everything I expected and more, but the handset does still have a few issues which no doubt SE will resolve fully in the coming months.

Caporegime
sl33pyhead said:
Currently the P990i Voda are supplying are fully unlocked. No dbout when the Live!'d up handsets start appearing within the next month or so they will be network locked however.

Incidently, to the OP SIM free prices are currently around the £540 mark. I got mine a few weeks ago now - was one of the first batches into the UK. I know Spawn here on the forums got his at the same time. The original firmware was pretty rough but the two last firmware updates have sorted most of the major stuff out. I am really happy with mine - it is everything I expected and more, but the handset does still have a few issues which no doubt SE will resolve fully in the coming months.

Indeed i have one and like Sleepyhead i was one of the very first guinea pigs to get one, cost me about £600 sim free but thats the price you pay for cutting edge tech i suppose.
As for my opinions on it??, well a lot of people have said that £600 is a lot of money to pay for a phone and yes it is but to me its oh so worth it...its basically the ultimate phone/pda device that ive been after for a very long time. Although ive always had a soft spot for the SE P series having owned all the previous models.

The camera on the p990i is ok, its a 2mp cam and its not too bad but dont expect it to take brilliant photos. Battery life is ok, i get about 2 days standby and about a day and half use depending on how much i use the WIFI and the 3g services...3G is very very fast on this unit. The problem being is that SE have sent a 950mah battery with the p990i when it should have been the higher capacity one but nevermind...still get good use out of it.
As sleepyhead just mentioned, the early units with the first firmware was very buggy and hardly left you with any operating ram but 2 updates later and its much much better...memory management is veyr good now with hardly any mem leaks but SE are constantly working on a newer firmware. Also some great apps are now coming out on the UIQ3 platform so things are getting better slowly.

Would i recommend this phone to anyone??, yes i would...in fact my boss is looking at getting one for himself to replace his p910i that hes had for awhile now. Definitely one of the better phones ive used in the past few months...

Soldato
OP
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Spawn said:
Indeed i have one and like Sleepyhead i was one of the very first guinea pigs to get one, cost me about £600 sim free but thats the price you pay for cutting edge tech i suppose.
As for my opinions on it??, well a lot of people have said that £600 is a lot of money to pay for a phone and yes it is but to me its oh so worth it...its basically the ultimate phone/pda device that ive been after for a very long time. Although ive always had a soft spot for the SE P series having owned all the previous models.

The camera on the p990i is ok, its a 2mp cam and its not too bad but dont expect it to take brilliant photos. Battery life is ok, i get about 2 days standby and about a day and half use depending on how much i use the WIFI and the 3g services...3G is very very fast on this unit. The problem being is that SE have sent a 950mah battery with the p990i when it should have been the higher capacity one but nevermind...still get good use out of it.
As sleepyhead just mentioned, the early units with the first firmware was very buggy and hardly left you with any operating ram but 2 updates later and its much much better...memory management is veyr good now with hardly any mem leaks but SE are constantly working on a newer firmware. Also some great apps are now coming out on the UIQ3 platform so things are getting better slowly.

Would i recommend this phone to anyone??, yes i would...in fact my boss is looking at getting one for himself to replace his p910i that hes had for awhile now. Definitely one of the better phones ive used in the past few months...

I would have thought the cam would be on a par withe k750??

Tbh if they bring out tomtom for it, i will be well happy!

Back
Top Bottom