nurburgring car wanted

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
I get the impression the 'Ring is not the place to test the limits of your car unless you PROPERLY know what you are doing.
Unfortunately not many circuits are - run off areas are generally not that huge even in the UK and even when they are we've seen what can happen on dry grass and crop fields (that Skyline that went up after sliding off at Combe)

The Nurburgring does not have very much run-off at all. After a little bit of grass there's armco almost every inch of the way.

Associate
Lopéz said:
The Nurburgring does not have very much run-off at all. After a little bit of grass there's armco almost every inch of the way.

I was dead jammy. Spun off where there was no armco, which is as you say none to frequent. I suppose your brain automatically chooses when to push harder and when not. Most of the accidents I saw in the wet were coming out of corners.

I ended up completely up this bank sliding for a few feet sideways (I thought it was going to roll - its very steep). As per usual when I've spun it was my fault for not reacting quick enough. Last couple of times though I tank slapped it as I wasnt quick enough on the way back - this time I was just rubbish.

trickleBank.jpg

Also, I always have my foot jammed on the brake sliding backwards and am suprised (at the time) by the way the car isnt slowing down. Of course when you hit the grass...

I want a roll cage :rolleyes:

Soldato
Nozzer said:
A friend of mine does it all the time, handing the cars back with no tyres/brakes and not hearing anything from the hire company. I will get more details if you like.

If the hire car doesn't have insurance then things could get fun if the car is involved in an accident whilst out on the circuit.

Associate
The Americans were adament that their German insurance policies had no, and could not have, exemptions for the circuit like many of ours do.

If I were a German insurer theres no way I'd want to insure someone living nearby on a sporty car if I couldnt exempt it. Perhaps thats why some of them drive diesels :D

Soldato
From what I understand a pretty high percentage of standard German insurance policies explicitly exclude the Nordschleife. A few British policies have been known to exclude it aswell, either by name or by inference, using phrases such as "unlimited toll road".

Regardless, although you're supposedly covered unless there's a clause to the contrary, in reality virtually all policies have standard clauses about time trials and racing and you'd be hard pushed to prove you were doing neither of these. Yes you could drag it through the courts and might win but then you might lose and be faced with a monumental total bill. For all intents and purposes, you're best off assuming you're not insured on the 'ring and driving accordingly.

BTW, this thread is depressing the hell out of me. I want to be back there right now more than just about anything :(

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I get the impression the 'Ring is not the place to test the limits of your car unless you PROPERLY know what you are doing.
i think what seperates the 'ring from just about every other track in the world is, due to it's layout, if you're a press on driver you need almost encyclopedic knowledge of the course as most of the bends are capable of killing you if you attack them incorrectly.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Mondeo ST220 might be an idea. 3.0 v6, loads of midrange power. Alternatively, cheaper option would be an MG ZS 180 (2.5 V6). Excellent handling and good mid - top end power.

Soldato
Vertigo1 said:
From what I understand a pretty high percentage of standard German insurance policies explicitly exclude the Nordschleife. A few British policies have been known to exclude it aswell, either by name or by inference, using phrases such as "unlimited toll road".

Regardless, although you're supposedly covered unless there's a clause to the contrary, in reality virtually all policies have standard clauses about time trials and racing and you'd be hard pushed to prove you were doing neither of these. Yes you could drag it through the courts and might win but then you might lose and be faced with a monumental total bill. For all intents and purposes, you're best off assuming you're not insured on the 'ring and driving accordingly.

BTW, this thread is depressing the hell out of me. I want to be back there right now more than just about anything :(

However the 'Ring is a public road and so you must be insured when driving it. Doing a track day on a UK circuit is completely different as you don't need insurance (though trackday specific insurance can be handy).

Caporegime
Think i posted on page 3, but man what a great / funny thread this has turned into, good reading.

Had no idea you had a trip planned FOX, good luck first time you pull out of the ticket booth and onto the track you will think WTF am i doing, just watch out for nutters on the exits to corners i almost got written off by an idiot in a passat.

Fingers crossed for the next trip but the last one was problem free apart from me almost spinning in the wet due to a bad gear change.

Soldato
Alibaba99 said:
However the 'Ring is a public road and so you must be insured when driving it. Doing a track day on a UK circuit is completely different as you don't need insurance (though trackday specific insurance can be handy).
You need basic 3-party cover by law but there's little doubt that any UK policy which provides this on normal German roads would also provide it on the 'ring as it'd be very hard for them to shirk their responsibility with regards to a 3-party claim on a public road.

Where it gets interesting is when fault is disputed. AFAIK, with UK trackday insurance, if there's a coming together, each person claims off their own insurance, end of. On the 'ring however, the normal public road insurance rules apply, meaning that apportioning of blame becomes important and the police are sometimes called out to the scene of accidents.

On our last trip the track was close for an hour or two and it transpired that Sabine had had a coming together with another car. Apparently an Elise (a Brit if I remember correctly) pulled across into her path as she was going to over take and she had nowhere to go and so punted his rear quarter with her front wing (you could see the scuff marks on the arch of the M5). From what I heard afterward the Elise driver was claiming it was her fault and wanted the officials to attend the accident to gather evidence/statements/etc.

Soldato
Vertigo1 said:
You need basic 3-party cover by law but there's little doubt that any UK policy which provides this on normal German roads would also provide it on the 'ring as it'd be very hard for them to shirk their responsibility with regards to a 3-party claim on a public road.

Where it gets interesting is when fault is disputed. AFAIK, with UK trackday insurance, if there's a coming together, each person claims off their own insurance, end of. On the 'ring however, the normal public road insurance rules apply, meaning that apportioning of blame becomes important and the police are sometimes called out to the scene of accidents.

On our last trip the track was close for an hour or two and it transpired that Sabine had had a coming together with another car. Apparently an Elise (a Brit if I remember correctly) pulled across into her path as she was going to over take and she had nowhere to go and so punted his rear quarter with her front wing (you could see the scuff marks on the arch of the M5). From what I heard afterward the Elise driver was claiming it was her fault and wanted the officials to attend the accident to gather evidence/statements/etc.

Unless it is one of the policies with specific exclusions for the 'Ring or do the exclusions only affect the 1st party insurance?

Soldato
Alibaba99 said:
Unless it is one of the policies with specific exclusions for the 'Ring or do the exclusions only affect the 1st party insurance?
They might claim otherwise but, as far as I know, they can't absolve themselves of responsiblity for 3rd party claims as it's a public road. They can refuse to pay out for your trashed car but they still have to pay for the other guy's if it's deemed to be your fault.

The whole insurance thing can be very academic anyway. If you have a major prang and cause a lot of damage to the armco plus a long closure and possibly even require medical assistance then even if the insurance company pay out for your car there's no way they're going to foot the bill for the rest of it, which could prove massive.

Soldato
Something a little different?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIERRA-XR4-I-...oryZ9844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

A friend of mine has one of these that he drifts every weekend, plus it was his daily driver up until a few weeks ago - it's got 190k miles on the clock and the engine is still going strong:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E30-325-B...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-BMW-528-...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-PULSAR...ryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Associate
Vertigo1 said:
They might claim otherwise but, as far as I know, they can't absolve themselves of responsiblity for 3rd party claims as it's a public road. They can refuse to pay out for your trashed car but they still have to pay for the other guy's if it's deemed to be your fault.

The whole insurance thing can be very academic anyway. If you have a major prang and cause a lot of damage to the armco plus a long closure and possibly even require medical assistance then even if the insurance company pay out for your car there's no way they're going to foot the bill for the rest of it, which could prove massive.

Someone I know span and clipped the armco twice (not a huge amount of damage to that or the car) and got landed with a 4000 Euro bill. Cash or card, sir?

A friend's brother had an (epilectic) seizure in the Grunne Holle bar and they called the air ambulance to take him to Koblenz - bill was approx 8000 euros and no medical insurance :rolleyes:

Span 360 at Brunnchen in the wet a few weeks back, stayed on the black stuff though :D

Back
Top Bottom