Last minure reassurance beofre I buy....(bike can)

Soldato
Last minute reassurance beforeI buy....(bike can)

Right, I decided that the dent in the standard can of my bike is a good enough excuse to get a new one :)

I have checked ebay, lots of nice ones about for my bike, I did want a carbon but decided that stainless steel will look nice anyway :)

I am about to buy this can for the CBR, does anyone have any thought on carbon can comany as a whole, and the quality of their products? At £110 its quite cheap and looks really nice.

Any input is much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I've read, the Carbon Can Co. sell pretty well put together bits of kit. I've never had one, but going by any reviews in the biking press, I'd say its safe to go ahead and buy it. Pretty good price and good quality item.

Cant be bad, can it??!!. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Cheers mate, thats all I wanted to hear.....going to buy now :) It should be fitted before the wekend in that case :cool:

It has removable baffles in it, I assume removing them then makes the can non road legal?

Soldato
if it has a BSI kitemark on it it's legal,, if it's not it will probably have 'NOT FOR ROAD USE' stamped on it somewhere. Iirc you can buy kitemarks to stick on yourself fairly easily ;)

HT

Soldato
Errr. No...

But I've got a Blueflame EVO can with removable baffles, but tbh on a GSXR1000 the noise with the baffles in is much better then normal, and OK for alerting traffic of your presence.. remove just the smallest baffle and its "Hello, nick me please" loud.. I doubt with the baffles in that it deserves the e-mark on it.. but at least I've been responsible

Anyway, the carbon can company do make good kit, I liked the finish and construction when I checked them out at the NEC, I just got a good discount on the Blueflame otherwise I'd have cosidered one myself..

Soldato
If you were unlucky enough to be stopped and have it tested with a decibel meter ( fairly uncommon ), there's a fair chance you would be in trouble with the law.

However, if its got the BS stamp on it, even with the baffles out, the feds most probably wouldn't realise it or be able to "prove" anything.

I used to have a Wolf stainless race can on my Mille a while ago, and it had no BS stamp on it, conversely, it didn't have a "Not for road use" mark on it either. The cops just scratched their heads at it anytime I got pulled over. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Ok cheers, guys, well I think I will be keeping them in anyway as its a day to day bike that see's lots of police on its rounds, I have yet to be pulled over for anything on my biking life but sods law says as soon as i get this and de-baffle it there will be one round the corner with a decibel meter.

Saying that I had a few happy months on my CBR with a race system on it, no baffles, no nothing, i was told you could hear it from my house when I was coming back from work some 3 miles away if it was late.

Soldato
That Wolf race can I had on mine, the missus could hear me coming home from work 2 miles away as I bimbled down the motorway slip road to our town.

Neighbours never said anything, even when it got started up at 07:00am for me going out on dayshift, but after a few months I decided it wasn't fair on them anyway, especially as our next door neighbours had just had a baby. So I ditched it, flogged it on eBay for £20 more than I paid for it and went back to the original "dust-bin" can on the RSV. Even that's still pretty noisy, V-Twins are way louder as standard than most inline 4's. My mates RR3 Blade is barely audible at tickover when he first starts it up.

I fitted an Evoluzione race airkit, which gives me the best of both worlds, as a compromise. Sounds standard at tickover when warming it up, but give it some revs on the move and it growls away nicely, as well as increasing power and grunt through the mid-range. Even with a standard and derestricted end can ( all Mille's have restrictions in their exhaust cans from the factory, its the first thing that gets removed from UK RSV's by the dealer when they unpack 'em from the crate ), the Evo airkit coupled up with the PCIII Power Commander gives a healthy boost in performance.

It's also a nice feeling, when you get pulled over by plod, knowing that they cant "tsk,tsk" at any dodgy race can. I love seeing their faces when they go over my bike and can't find anything illegal with it, seems to annoy 'em a little.

Even had a young and rather fiesty and inexperienced cop attempt to give me a pink slip for having a "Race can" fitted to the bike last summer. He assumed that because the factory fit Aprilia end can has "Racing" on it, that it was a "race can" and therefore illegal. Had to stop him in his tracks, point out the stamped EU mark and speak to his partner, a Traffic Sgt. before he could be convinced that he was talking nonsense!! :D :-

endcan.jpg

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Sorry to ressurect this thread, but the search brought up as relevant.

I'm looking at an Aprilia RSV Mille at the moment, and its darn loud with a Blue Flame on. Not sure on stamps, but they guy said he had to put the stock one on for his trackday as there was a 90DB limit :o

My question is, if they catch up with me, DB read it and its over - what happens?

Don
Pug said:
Sorry to ressurect this thread, but the search brought up as relevant.

I'm looking at an Aprilia RSV Mille at the moment, and its darn loud with a Blue Flame on. Not sure on stamps, but they guy said he had to put the stock one on for his trackday as there was a 90DB limit :o

My question is, if they catch up with me, DB read it and its over - what happens?

Rectification order and £30 fine. They can also prevent you from riding home but this is unlikely.

Been stopped loads of times on the Raptor with straight through Akkers carbon cans on and never had a problem. They were usually more worried about my less than legal number plate and my tinted visor.

Back
Top Bottom