Microsoft Academic Office 2003 Parent/Student/Teacher Edition?

Soldato
some vertions you get the CDs in the box and its just the T&C are different (the one that I got when i was at college did this).
others you have to send somthing off with a teachers signature on it.

Soldato
Energize said:
Does it just have word/excel/powerpoint on it or does it have the others like access and publisher? Access is a must for me.

google

Product Features

* Full versions of improved yet familiar Office programs for up to 3 of your home PCs
* Microsoft Office 2003 Standard comes with:
* Microsoft Office Word 2003
* Microsoft Office Excel 2003
* Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
* Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
* NOTE: This is a student and Teacher licensed product

anyone got that "I will google before I ask questions" image?

Last edited:
Associate
There are no forms to sign and send away with the 2003 version of Student and Teacher editon Office. This is just a licence for use by students and teachers.

Justin

Permabanned
Energize said:
That defeats the whole point of forums.
In what way? Forums are a place for discussion/help, not to have other people do your homework/research for you because you cant be bothered. (I use the "general you" in this case, in case you think I'm getting at you personally :)
Tho tbh I just ignore any questions that could be answered by a simple google search these days anyway

Soldato
VeNT said:
but if you read the fine print then its only good till your out of eduacation.
and only YOU can use it.

Both false - anyone in your household can use it (I've got the box here, it specifically says that on the back), and you can continue to use it (for non commercial use only) even if your status changes such that you are no longer a qualified user.

(both of these are mentioned at http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/students/faq.mspx)

The 2003 version of Office student and teacher doesn't require you to send anything to anyone, you can install it straight away and activate online and it behaves just like the standard edition.

Soldato
Microsoft did shoot themselves in the foot with the latest version of the student/teacher edition.
Whereas up until the 2003 version you simply got a form in your box that needed sending off, complete with a teachers "teacher number" and this was first validated by Microsoft and you then had your media sent out.
It was certainly a slower process but at least MS made sure that only the right people were getting it.

The latest version comes with everything you need in the box and is good for three computers.
My fiancee is a teacher, so my PC, our laptop and her PC all have Office 2003 installed under this license which is pretty cool.

There are a broad number of ways you qualify to use the product (as with every discussion on licensing what you can physically and legally do are two entirely different things).
Just because you can go and buy it off the shelf at PC World doesn't mean you automatically qualify to use it - so it is your responsability to make sure you qualify to use it before purchase.
As long as you've got a child in full-time education or you/your partner work in education then you qualify for the cheap license.

Soldato
PinkPig said:
Both false - anyone in your household can use it (I've got the box here, it specifically says that on the back), and you can continue to use it (for non commercial use only) even if your status changes such that you are no longer a qualified user.

(both of these are mentioned at http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/students/faq.mspx)

The 2003 version of Office student and teacher doesn't require you to send anything to anyone, you can install it straight away and activate online and it behaves just like the standard edition.
the last copy of student office I had (iirc it was pre 2000) this was not the case.

Associate
csmager said:
Did you not take any notice of anything above? :p

First result in google:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/students/faq.mspx

"For obtaining individual copies of Microsoft Office Access 2003, there is no special pricing for students or teachers."

Google, and the Microsoft website are not always accurate/up-to-date.

You CAN/COULD get a copy of Access 2003 for around £30 if you buy the Student and Teacher edition of Office. I bought mine two years ago before starting University and there was a leaflet inside directing me to a website where, with my office product key I could order Access for 2003. The leaflet said when the offer ended but I ordered my copy almost a year after the leaflet said the offer ended.

Justin

Soldato
VeNT said:
the last copy of student office I had (iirc it was pre 2000) this was not the case.

Quite right, I think it's only the last version or so that they've just included the disks - I imagine they thought the administrative costs of checking eligibility and sending off disks was too great.

Caporegime
OP
It seems pretty stupid that access is not avalible when it's probably the most widely used program by I.T. students, and they wonder why people pirate their products, over £200 for access. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Energize said:
It seems pretty stupid that access is not avalible when it's probably the most widely used program by I.T. students, and they wonder why people pirate their products, over £200 for access. :rolleyes:

I've never been an IT student - I'm totally self taught so I really don't know what course requirements are on courses.
However I cannot see why students would be using Access so much - unless they were actually on an MS Access course, in which case....obviously.

I'm trying to think what benefit an IT student is going to get in life knowing that much about MS Access.
If he goes into web development work than MySQL and the likes are going to be the database of choice.
If he's going to follow a career in database work (which can pay extremely well) then he's unlikely to be using Access at a Professional level.

Microsoft don't wonder why people pirate their software at all.
You ask anyone at Microsoft "Why do people pirate your software?" they will tell you that there are just plenty of scum thieves out there who feel the world owes them a living and they shouldn't have to pay for the things in life that they want.
There is no mystery as to why people pirate software - it's just greed.

Back
Top Bottom