New tyres needed - advice please

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I have a Mazda 3 Sport, and the front tyres need replacing (the rears are OK). The car still has the stock tyres on, which are Bridgestone Potenza RE 040.

The question is, do I replace the fronts with the same (£89.10 each), which will keep them matched with the rear tyres, or do I put something different on the front?

Other options that I am looking at are:
Dunlop SP SPORT 9000 - £94.60
Pirelli P 7 - £96.90
Bridgestone Potenza S-02 - £102.90

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
OK, been doing research, and I have read good things about Kumho tyres... 2 new options into the mix...

Kumho KH11 - £60.70

Kumho 712 Ecsta Supra - £75.00

Man of Honour
If you want tyres that perform very well but don't want to pay top dollar, go for Toyo Proxes T1-R. They're a bit cheaper than the Goodyears / Bridgestones but they perform just as well. The only downside is that they apparently wear down a bit quicker.

I've just bought a pair for my Toldeo and I'm very impressed :)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
You get what you pay for. Don't skimp on tyres.

I do agree, but I'm beginning to get the impression that the well known names charge a premium. I'm picking up on makes like Kumho, Falken, Toyo, etc, that are well regarded by people that are "into" their cars, and these makes support racing teams, so should have some idea.

After further reading, I'm now leaning towards the Falken FK-452 (£63).

Does it matter to have different tyres front and back? Is it no different to having the same tyres with different amounts of tread left?

Man of Honour
Different tyres front and back aren't a problem as long as they are of similar grip levels. Top quality tyres on the front and cheapie ditchfinders on the back (or vice versa) is not a good idea.

I really recommend you spend a few quid more and go for the Toyo T1-R's. I've heard mixed reports about Falkens, ranging from decent performance to borderline dangerous in the wet. It depends on the specific model etc. though.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Late update... I went with the Falken FK-452 on the front (haven't changed the back yet) and am pretty happy with them.

Noticably more grip than the Potenza S-02 that came as standard... now I have to try to spin the front wheels (not that I do), whereas before it would happen by accident when I pulled away with too many revs.

Back
Top Bottom