My Rover VTEC Coupe

Soldato
Hi,

As some people may be aware the early Rovers had the 1.6 D16 engines in. I have a Rover Coupe which only ever came with the 1.6 SOHC Honda engine, (not twin cam as ths would probably show up the 2.0 litre NASP Rover lump)

The car was bought as a project, nice bodywork but a blown engine, well close to blown, 5 miles up road it through the conrod through the block, was a legit RAC call out at least

I fitted a DOHC D16 from a Concerto too it (D16A9, just like in the CRX) Managed to make 154bhp from that engine with breathing mods and lots of ignition advance, after looking into more power there was little for D16 engines. B16 tuning mods seemed in abundance, as did the high power output storys. I found a CRX VTEC for sale with front end accident damage, and my mind was set on making a VTEC powered Rover Coupe with huge tuning potential.

Well after lots of research head scratching and good 'ol engineering the engine is fitted and working perfectly. All done by myself on my driveway

Vtecin.jpg

And looks OEM fit, just as i intended.

All i can say is VTEC is awesome, 8000rpm is quite sublime and im sure many Rover have gone off the speedo clock before (mainly the Rover 220 Turbo's) but very few have hit the 8k mark on the tacho.

I was at CCC Action day last week in it, after getting some nice brakes on it, he real search for power will begin

Hope this is of interest to some of you guys

Jonny

Caporegime
You wanna see the flames

Sounds well nice though. Very Fast and furious exhaust note to it. And it revs forever :D

Jonny, Get the birdkill off your radiator ;)

Si

Associate
Looks very tidy. I really like it.

Its a shame I dont have any space because I'd love to give somthing like this a go. Or at least teach myself a bit about engines etc.

/thumbs up.

Soldato
Very nice work. This is the kind of modding I can truly appreciate rather than all this cosmetic* stuff that passes as 'modding' these days.

*And I include 'zorsts, induction kits and lowered suspension in that as well seeing as the majority of people primarily do those mods for the looks/sound

Last edited:
Permabanned
That is awesome. Very nice sir. I've seen a few engine swaps, but that must be one of the neatest ever - and considering you did it yourself, my titfer comes off to you.

Majik

Associate
Being a rover coupe fan and a owner of a 92 220 coupe

that one nice little engine you got there

wish I had played with engines more - I know where the oil/water goes :D

Back
Top Bottom