Little Help Please

Associate
Hi All, I’ve recently built a dual core system and I want to add two IDE 40 GB drives (raid). My spec is below. I have two questions that I need some help with.

1st I have a 160 Gig Sata2 HDD with my OS on, can I raid two 40 GB drives with my motherboard? I have an Asus P5W.

2nd When ever I try to plug in the two 40 GB drives they get really hot and then started to smoke :eek: (so I quickly take them off again) dose anybody know why this maybe? I have a Hyper 580 PSU.

Spec of my machine

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400
Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 NR PC2-6400 (2x1GB)
Hiper HPU-4M580 Type R 580W ATX2.2 PSU
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
Akasa AK-ZEN-01-BK Zen

Man of Honour
DAY_1985 said:
2nd When ever I try to plug in the two 40 GB drives they get really hot and then started to smoke :eek: (so I quickly take them off again) dose anybody know why this maybe? I have a Hyper 580 PSU.

Yikes, smoke is bad! Whereabouts is the smoke coming from? Round the power connector? The only reasons I can think of for drives smoking would be a short between the drive and the case or a dodgy connection that's arcing.

Assuming that you can get them off the fags ;) you should be able to RAID the two IDEs without too much hassle.

Associate
OP
The smoke came from the power connector which conects to the 4 pins in the HDD. It looks like there's to much power going to the HDD from PSU? There both two new IDE HDD, so I don't think it will be that. So that just leaves the PSU but that power's my Sat2 HDD and thats fine.

?????????????????? :confused:

Man of Honour
Make sure the molex power connector is properly seated - I've melted the PCB on a couple of drives due to badly seated connectors before :eek: Are you using any power splitters, or just the looms from the PSU?

The only reason you'd draw too much power is if there is a low resistance path between the positive and ground rails, check there's nothing shorting out between the case and the HDD. It's unlikely that the PSU is pushing out too much power (over volting) because as you say the SATA disk is fine.

Back
Top Bottom