Anyone a Special Constable or cop?

Soldato
I'm considering applying to become a special constable for the MET, you have to do a minimum of 4 hours work for free a week (expenses are covered) but you have the same powers as a normal officer, not like those toy cops, cso I think they're called :p If I enjoyed it I'd really consider quitting my job and try to become a normal officer.

Just thinking about it as I have a lot of free time from work due to working shifts and it's not a challenging job so will be nice to have some variety and feel like I'm making a difference. My dad's cousin is a special constable so I'm going to have a word with him and see what he has to say, he seems to enjoy it from what my parents have told me.

Anyone have any experiences or advice?

Soldato
OP
I looked it up and they basically hand out parking tickets, direct traffic, stand on guard at events etc, the fact you see a lot of them though is a good thing. They can't really arrest people though

Special constable sounds interesting though as it's normal police work, so could be anything

Permabanned
HAz said:
Toy cops huh :rolleyes:

Im sure they pay a valid roll in the local society.

Infact CSOs are a complete waste of space, the OP is correct. Good luck with the specials, I say go for it mate if you are in the position to do so. I will be a police officer one day.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
I hear its easy to get into the met, compare to say devon & cornwall.
Great money, prospects and all round good job imo.
Im also thinking about applying too, but not as a CSO.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Violent-J said:
Infact CSOs are a complete waste of space, the OP is correct. Good luck with the specials, I say go for it mate if you are in the position to do so. I will be a police officer one day.

I saw a documenty on it and they vist old ppl and get cups of tea.
In certain areas im sure they play a valid roll, in otehrs not.
ANd yes i dont theink they can arrest ppl, but have the power to call on officers to do so for them.

Bit like a dinner lady at school i supose.

Last edited:
Associate
Get yourself over to http://www.policespecials.com/forum/ . Thats the place to ask questions.

You can ask to speak to some existing specials at your local nick. This way you can find out what kind of stuff you can expect on duty. Give the recruitment line a ring at your areas HQ to see the current state of application time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sirrel Squirrel said:
but you have the same powers as a normal officer, not like those toy cops, cso I think they're called :p If I enjoyed it I'd really consider quitting my job and try to become a normal officer.

Anyone have any experiences or advice?

Thats not strictly true. Specials have the powers of a constable conferred on them and it is valid in that force area and the surrounding force areas whereas a regular constable has jurisdiction in England & Wales, covering all 43 forces, but not applicable in Scotland or Northern Ireland to a certain extent.

Soldato
Pinter75 said:
^
True, plus you are not allowed to drive under blue lights, so forget any car chases ;)

Some forces have started to allow specials to driver under blues and twos, but they arent allowed to drive advanced vehicles, so im affraid you wont be getting yourself on Police, camera, action.

Permabanned
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I looked it up and they basically hand out parking tickets, direct traffic, stand on guard at events etc, the fact you see a lot of them though is a good thing. They can't really arrest people though

Special constable sounds interesting though as it's normal police work, so could be anything

Yes they can arresst people! And i did on several occasions. You have the same powers as a regualr officer and you can apply them the same.

I also did a lot more than your suggest, plain clothes drug operations, policing football events, house searches all sorts!

Granted it didn't happen over night but i worked with the same block all the time got to know them.

The only reason i stopped was becasue i was working away from home and i couldn't put the same time in as i had been doing.

Associate
Slinwagh said:
Yes they can arresst people! And i did on several occasions. You have the same powers as a regualr officer and you can apply them the same.

I also did a lot more than your suggest, plain clothes drug operations, policing football events, house searches all sorts!

Granted it didn't happen over night but i worked with the same block all the time got to know them.

The only reason i stopped was becasue i was working away from home and i couldn't put the same time in as i had been doing.

I think he was referring to PCSO's and not SC's

Man of Honour
My first feeling when reading your opening post is that your are only doing this for a "power trip". If so, you are doing this for the wrong reason.

I have quite a few friends in the force including the Met, and they'll tell you it its no walk in the park. Think carefully that this is really what you want to do and the reasons why.

That said, it will give some good insight before applying for a full time placement. Good luck.

Soldato
Violent-J said:

I'm told they're useful for the more mundane jobs such as 'providing a presence' or such. There are many times when officers can be freed up by using CSOs but obviously they don't compare to the Real Thing...

My brother was a special for a long time, he enjoyed it. If you fancy being a policeman or going into the police, it can help.

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
I'm told they're useful for the more mundane jobs such as 'providing a presence' or such. There are many times when officers can be freed up by using CSOs but obviously they don't compare to the Real Thing...

My brother was a special for a long time, he enjoyed it. If you fancy being a policeman or going into the police, it can help.

PCSO's were a requirement from the government and they provided funding for them so it would not dent already paper thin police budgets.

They are handy when major incidents occur and can help to direct traffic, help with house to house during major incidents and youth nuisance stuff which frees up police to do their real job of doing the swim on an ocean of paperwork, occasionally hitting the streets.

Being a special will give you insight into what it's like on the streets, although you won't learn such things as interviewing or other more complex aspects of law and investigation. It will tell you wether policing is the right job for you as although most aspects are very rewarding morally, there are some very unpleasant and horrific things you will see and witness and you will know if it's what you want to do. Also, while most of the public are law abiding, there are a certain element who wish to see harm come to the cops and are prepared to do so.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom