Merge in turn vigilantes

Associate
NathanE said:
otherwise you might rear end somebody who doesn't understand basic driving skills.

Normally a HGV scarily enough...Who will then quite happily back up a whole dual carriageway whilst it takes them 3 miles to overtake another HGV going 1 mph slower :mad:

Associate
Yea I have come across a couple of these vigilantes in the past when merging, it is the view ' you are pushing in ' , or 'skipping queue' which offers their motivation. Ashame some people don't understand how it is meant to work (well I didn't really until I made a thread about it :p ) . Sometimes I am so tempted to just go off road (grass on the right) and overtake them, but value car more than the blockers.

Man of Honour
I just don't get it with english people... they love to queue I guess - hence why they start queuing 3 miles before the merge point or something?

It's so so far more efficient doing the "zip" merging - actually here in Germany they are very very good at doing that I have found. :)

I sometimes wished i owned a tank so I could just give them a gentle "**** you" jolt back into their lane... Then I realise I'm really a rather passive person and just give my gallic shrug and get on with my life

Soldato
My and my mates call these people "Heros".

Always a hero when your attempting to merge in turn on the way home. I just laugh at them the squeze round in my battered old golf. They really don't like that. :D

Associate
On the A9 up just down from Stirling there is roadworks, and especially on the southbound carraigeway I have noticed that as much as a mile back there are signs saying "use both lanes". Then further up there is a couple of signs saying "merge in turn ahead" then finally at about 100 yards before the cones there is "Merge in NOW".

And with these signs up people actually use both lanes right up untill quite near the cones, which if you ask me must cut the queue by a mile.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This really annoys me too, one of the many benefits of having a company car i guess, i just merge in where i should do. If someone wishes to drive into me then they can feel free to do so. They have more to lose than me.

Man of Honour
You English and your queueing mentality are to blame :p It was quite a shock to me when I moved to England to find how many people were offended by me following the highway code and merging in turn.

How dare I jump the queue, damn impolite paddy!

Soldato
One of the great joys of driving vehicles which double in value when you fill the tank is that when some pillock tries to push you off the road into the barrier, you CAN go off the road and get close into the barrier. And get passed the pillock.

Can't wait to get the SJ back on the road, be nice to have a set of wrecking bars up front again. Umm, safety bars i meant, yeah that's it, safety bars ;)

Soldato
What's wrong with the following (apart from the hassle):

Driving past everyone in the empty lane, someone pulls out with no warning, drive into them. Their fault (I believe) so they pay insurance, + possible prosecution for dangerous driving.

Win?

Transmission breaker
Don
growse said:

Driving past everyone in the empty lane, someone pulls out with no warning, drive into them. Their fault (I believe) so they pay insurance, + possible prosecution for dangerous driving.

Win?

Far too much room for possible problems. You hit them in the rear, they say they indicated.. 10 witnesses all ignorant of the rules of the road who think you the spawn of Satan...

Im not gunna try it :p

Soldato
growse said:

Win?

I'll give it a try the next time it happens and let you know. The van is disposable.

Man of Honour
growse said:

Win?

You mean purposely have a collision?

Regardless of whos fault it would be in the insurance companys eyes, that's the completely wrong attitude to have. What about the possibility of injury to yourself, passengers or people in the other car. Regardless of how others drive, purposely colliding with them to teach them a lesson is incredibly childish, petty and above all, stupid.

One of the big problems on our roads are the vigilantes who are out there to teach us all a lesson. Regardless of who is in the right or the wrong, driving dangerously is never, ever justifiable. I'll probably get it in the neck for saying this on an English forum but English drivers are the worst for it. I don't mean to tar you all with the same brush, what I am saying is that there is a noticeably larger proportion of drivers in England who seem intent on teaching everyone how to drive properly. How do they go about it? By driving dangerously, offensively and carelessly whilst at the same time displaying their frustration using hand signals.

People who do this are the ones that need taken off the road.

Associate
What do you lot make of people that will push into the smallest non gap and wont back down then, is that good driving. Merge in turn is all well and good but we drive on the left in england and if there is a big ass queue on the left your "turn" is after all those people you "overtook" have passed.

Soldato
Fishman said:
What do you lot make of people that will push into the smallest non gap and wont back down then, is that good driving. Merge in turn is all well and good but we drive on the left in england and if there is a big ass queue on the left your “turn” is after all those people you “overtook” have passed.

Ugh. If everyone used both lanes for the duration that they were available, there wouldn't even be the queue―that's the point! Queues form when you try to cram twice as much traffic into one lane, as everyone immediately goes left as soon as the signs for the lane closing appear.

Soldato
Fishman said:
What do you lot make of people that will push into the smallest non gap and wont back down then, is that good driving. Merge in turn is all well and good but we drive on the left in england and if there is a big ass queue on the left your "turn" is after all those people you "overtook" have passed.

No.

Scenario: 2 lanes, merging to left hand lane, heavy rush hour traffic. Are you saying that the people in the right hand lane (who aren't 'overtaking', they are moving faster) should wait until the left hand people pass by? Could be waiting a long time.... Hence merge in turn (What happens when the right hand lane become full as more cars wait for the laft hand lane 'to finish'?

Transmission breaker
Don
Fishman said:

errrm, noooo

So, im to drive past lots of people who have no idea of the correct road rules, then sit there and wait for them to all pass me again before i merge?

**** that, when i get to the merge point, im merging, its supposed to be one by one. So if someone trys to block me, wedge my car into the gap and force my way in!

Permabanned
Malt_Vinegar said:
errrm, noooo

So, im to drive past lots of people who have no idea of the correct road rules, then sit there and wait for them to all pass me again before i merge?

**** that, when i get to the merge point, im merging, its supposed to be one by one. So if someone trys to block me, wedge my car into the gap and force my way in!

Testify!

Back
Top Bottom