Going to Alton Towers

Lew

Lew

Associate
Next week has anyone been before?

Its going to take me the best part of 5 hours to drive there and staying at a near by hotel.

Just wondering the best order of rides to go on?
Went to Thorpe park the other week but didn’t manage to go on any decent rides as the other half wasn’t feeling that great.

Soldato
air doesnt make you feel sick atall. i call that a softies ride :D

if you like rides, oblivion or nemesis is absolutely fab :D i didnt go on the pinball one because i whimped out.. but everyone said it was great.. :o

Soldato
If it is your first time to Alton Towers you will love it :)

In no order, but you have to go on...
1)Nemesis
2)Oblivion
3)Air
4)Submission
5)Log Flumes
6)Water Rapids
7)RipSaw
8)Rita Queen of Speed

Do not, go on the Silver ride which is directly opposite Oblivion after you have had something to eat.
Made me feel really sick

axe

axe

Suspended
my adivice is get your ass in the Single Rider Ques ... we skipped 90mins queing and literally got strate on to the rides... The longest we Qued was 15mins ( compared to 2hours ) on Rita and we still ended up sitting next to each other.

Soldato
If your going in the week , the monorail and sky ride are closed, so you have a walk from the car park 15 min ish walk, or you can pay £10 for priority parking, normal car park charge £4.

Rita may be closed, its been broke down since last saturday, i saw it happen, not sure if its been re opened since.

I generally start off near air, nemesis, a few goes on those, then goto rita, then oblivion.

It was dead dead busy last weekend, huge ques that used all the que space.

Much better to go in the week.

Also if you book and visit before the 30th sep, its £14.75 entrance online, or get one of the bogof deals, works out same ish.

They also do an unlimited short cut pass for £50 , i wish i had bought one , it was that busy last saturday, would have been worth its weight in gold.

Unlimited Shortcut

Enjoy favourites Air, Nemesis, Oblivion and The Flume over and over again with this unlimited Shortcut priority pass.

Some good info here:

http://www.towerstimesforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

Last edited:

Lew

Lew

Associate
OP
Thanks for the Replys,

Im going next friday so Hopefully wont be too busy.

Thorpe park had a quick pass system pay extra £7 for 4 rides. Didn't see anything like that on Alton towers website?

Soldato
simoran1 said:
go on rita first as thats drawing the biggest que this year, i

Rita was closed last i heard, they dont know when it will re-open, something flew off it last saturday, not been open since.

i took a pic,lol

rita-probs.jpg

Soldato
During the week there cost cutting now, because its not busy.

There have been a lot of complaints to.

Operational changes are now in place for the rest of the 2006 season. They are as follows:

*Skyride and Monorail: CLOSED during weekdays until 20th October.
*Flume and Rapids: Opening at 12 noon during weekdays until 20th October.
*Air, Nemesis, Rita and Oblivion: Operating at reduced capacity between 9am - 11am and 3:30pm until ride close on weekdays until 20th October.
*Submission, Enterprise and Corkscrew: Opening at 12 noon on weekdays during September and October.
*Bob the builder shows and Cred Street Playground: Duel operation until end of season.
*Hex: Closing 1 Hour before normal ride close during September and October.

Soldato
Lew said:
Is it worth going next friday now then?
Just have to Time the rides then?

Yes , just means you have to do a lot of walking,lol. And will be a lot less busy than weekends, you will fit a lot more rides in.

I would pay for priority car parking though,only £6 more and if monorail closed its worth it, you will feel upto walking when you get there, because your excited, but when youve done the rides etc, you wont feel like walking back !

Soldato
Lew said:
Thanks Bobbyboy,

Dont think id be up for too much walking after driving 5 hours :)

The thing is , where air and nemesis are,there very close to the car park, so you have to walk to the main entrance then sort of double back to get to those.

Would be better for a seperate entrance near air etc :)

Associate
If your going next weekend (Starting 29th) its Gaydar weekend there. The park will be rammed full of gays and there friends.....not sure if its exclusivley for gay peeps or not but I know the hotel is that weekend.

So if that thing bothers you I would postpone it lol

Soldato
Rita still closed:

http://www.towersalmanac.com/index.php?show_story=263

Rita is currently closed and could remain so for a while, following an incident on Saturday.

Nobody was hurt during the breakdown, but it was severe enough to stop the ride from running for the immediate future.

One witness of the incident said: "As a train launched there was a loud bang and a puff of smoke just after the brake fins. That was the last time [the ride] ran.

"As we were evacuated, several engineers could be seen picking what looked like fragments of metal from the inside of the launch track."

Hopefully, the ride will be back in operation sooner rather than later. We will, as ever, keep you informed.

Soldato
I've just got back from there today. We always do a similar route:

Nemesis, Air, then the Ripsaw: All at the far end of the park and all usually have the longest que's throughout the day so get to them first and you can have a ride or two before any que's grow.

Log Flume and Rapids: Que's are usually quick moving and it gets you wet early on so you have a few hours to dry.

Corkscrew & Rita: Again, quick moving que's.

Oblivion and the other rides around that section: Oblivion is ACE and should be ridden a good few times.

The Pinball rollercoaster: Excellent way to end the day and next to the exit/ entrance for a quick escape. Here's a tip though- DO NOT QUE IN THE NORMAL QUE. Go down the "single rider" que. You can ride it 6 or 7 times in about 30 minutes this way compared to a 30 - 60 minute que to ride it sat next to a friend.

With this route we've successfully managed to avoid long que times for the last couple of years.

Definately start with Nemesis and Air though as the que times can be an absolute killer if you leave it too late. That said, today was just awesome for ques: There were none (Thank God for school keeping the kids out :D). We managed to get on every ride we wanted again and again and again and again. :)

Oh, and don't waste your time with the haunted house, hex or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They're utterly pants for anyone above the age of 8.

The monorail IS working during the week. Don't waste money on priority parking. Rita, the skyrail and the Mine train were the most notable attractions closed today. It is definately worth going during the week. It was so incredibly quiet and easy to get on every ride. The rest of the rides were open from opening to close so I'm not sure why others are stating strange ride operating times.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hellsmk2 said:
The monorail IS working during the week. Don't waste money on priority parking. Rita, the skyrail and the Mine train were the most notable attractions closed today. It is definately worth going during the week. It was so incredibly quiet and easy to get on every ride. The rest of the rides were open from opening to close so I'm not sure why others are stating strange ride operating times.

The times stated were what Alton Towers put on there website, but they have had so many complaints they may have altered them.

So the monorail was working today then?

Back
Top Bottom