Hammond Critical - Top Gear Car Crash!

Soldato
Tob3z said:
Also the helicopter service is making a good amount of cash from this. I don't think that's right to profit from a celebs accident.

.... And prize winner of most stupid sentence of the year award goes to .... Tob3z.

Soldato
toy_soldier said:
Whats so unbelieveable about what he said, ive seen stories before of charities having corrupt people making a profit from donations.
Yes but air rescue ambulances aren't often run by corrupt businessmen wanting to make a quick buck from donations.... All of the money gets directly put back into the daily running of the 'chopper and paying the personnel wages.

Man of Honour
Jonny69 said:
A quick show of hands, if you were offered a chance to drive a jet car flat out that could do 300mph would you jump at the chance?

I'll kick off with HELL YES!

Go Hammond

Same here.

300mph with a jet engine screaming behind your head sound like a huge amount of fun and I would jump into that so quickly....

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Jonny69 said:
A quick show of hands, if you were offered a chance to drive a jet car flat out that could do 300mph would you jump at the chance?

I'll kick off with HELL YES!

Go Hammond
/raises hand..
NathanE said:
Yes but air rescue ambulances aren't often run by corrupt businessmen wanting to make a quick buck from donations.... All of the money gets directly put back into the daily running of the 'chopper and paying the personnel wages.
Exactly..

Associate
"Toot for Hammonds Recovery"

I reckon a good few these strewn across several busy motorway bridges across the country would be awesome. Set up a camera over 24 hours, wouldnt even be close to a few thousand, not even 10's of thousands but well over 100's of thousands.... just a thought....

Hammster for the family and the admirers of a quality presenter and generally great man..... imho

Soldato
i would have been very sceptical about getting into a 300mph. human bodies are not designed to impact with things at speeds much higher than running pace.

most people would be lucky to live after a 60-70 mph crash, surviving at 100mph would be pretty amazing, 300mph is a different world though. i am amazed he survived at all if he was going at anywhere near 300mph.

i really hope he is ok

Associate
The Doctors won't be able to asses whether there has been any permanent injury until his brain swelling goes down.

Overhead shot of the runway where it happened..
3312b5w.jpg

Although it looks serious, it doesn't look like the car was travelling anywhere near 300mph at the time.. 200 maybe (at a push - I assume the parachute had some effect before the accident).

Last edited:
Soldato
Infidel said:
Do you think the fact that doctors are saying he will make a "good" rather than "full" recovery is significant?

Maybe, but they could have brain damage instead of injury. I suppose its very difficult to say being so early after the crash. :confused: :(

Soldato
PAC2006 said:
I have to say though that imo TG had become a little silly...

Their constant sections on 'see if we can do this - in that - and go round there'

Instead of sticking to car reviews etc. I would say the celeb circuit should have been the most they got to being lightheated/silly, and kept to the car reviews.

Not to say I didnt find some of them funny, but really, should a presenter be doing something like this? I say no. but now its too late :(

Thats what has made it as popular as it is today, look at top gears history, i would say that its at its upmost now, and its ever-growing popularity because of its sheer originality.

Like someone said, if top gear took its old routes it would be like every other car programme on the box, boring and dull...Ok it still is about the cars, and more forth its about what can be done with them! Brings that little bit more exitement to the programme than dull boring car reviews which can be found on any shelf in a newsagents...

Soldato
[Sniper][Wolf] said:
Thats what has made it as popular as it is today, look at top gears history, i would say that its at its upmost now, and its ever-growing popularity because of its sheer originality.

Like someone said, if top gear took its old routes it would be like every other car programme on the box, boring and dull...Ok it still is about the cars, and more forth its about what can be done with them! Brings that little bit more exitement to the programme than dull boring car reviews which can be found on any shelf in a newsagents...

Top Gear can suvive without crazy stunts, tbh, this stunt when i would have seen it on the programme would have been good, but i wouldn't be missing out if they never did it.

The chemistry of the 3 presenters is where its at. They can still test drive cars, race round tracks and do stuff like buy an italian supercar under £10k and get it through slough, without endangering lives.

It cant and wont be cancelled, the BBC want their head read if they even think about it. It will be more popular than ever, as you know everyone will want to see the return of the hamster, in whatever capacity.

Frank Williams (even though i dont like the man) was crippled by a car (a pace car he was riding in crashed into a tree at a race track (from memory)), but it didn't supress his passion for owning his own F1 team. The hamster will never lose his passion for cars, he might be more cautious in the future, but he'd be gutted to think Top Gear would cease due to an accident he was involved in.

Long live the hamster, and her's hoping he's back in action very soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom