• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900gs VS x1900GT

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
yep just checked some reviews, the 7900gs is faster, but at the same price of the x1900gt the x1800xt can be had. so it seems like the x1900gt is an odd ball :confused:
That's because the X1800XT has been out of official production since January, the X1900GT is its replacement. It just so happens the X1800XT is slightly faster than it though.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
yep just checked some reviews, the 7900gs is faster, but at the same price of the x1900gt the x1800xt can be had. so it seems like the x1900gt is an odd ball :confused:
You seem to be completely mistaken as to which card is faster.
Are you trying to justify to people why you purchased a 7900GS?
The X1900GT is faster than the 7900GS no doubt about it.

The X1900GT beats the 7900GS in all the reviews i have looked at ---

http://xtreview.com/review145.htm
Shows the X1900GT has better FPS on most games tested.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2827&p=9
Clearly the X1900GT is the quicker card in the games tested here.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE2MCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
Again the X1900GT is the better card overall (even here compared to the XFX 7900GS Extreme edition), generally having faster FPS or the X1900GT has the higher IQ settings. The X1900GT is commonly tested with 16xHQ AF whereas the 7900GS is tested using 8x AF.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3946&s=4
The X1900GT is quicker in Half-Life 2 Ep1, Serious Sam 2, Oblivion & Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.
The cards are identical in Call of Duty 2.
The 7900GS is quicker in Quake 4.

Last edited:
Associate
ACESHIGH said:
You seem to be completely mistaken as to which card is faster.
Are you trying to justify to people why you purchased a 7900GS?
The X1900GT is faster than the 7900GS no doubt about it.

*snip*

The X1900GT > 7900GS. Easily.

The reviews above should show you this.

Soldato
I guess it depends if you ever want to go SLI. With the X1900GT, its not possible where it is with the 7900GS. If you dont have an SLI mobo just get the fastest card out of the two.

I had the same choice but went for the 7900GS as i knew id be wanting to get another for SLI, and now i have got 2 of them ive got performance comparable to the GX2. Only downside is only having 256Mb RAM

If id got a crossfire or a non SLI board id have gone for the X1800XT or the X1900GT

Associate
2x X1900GT can be crossfired. Its been done on these forums by The Asgard on an Intel 975x Bad Axe mobo.

Search for the thread and have aread. I'm currently investigating the possibility of doing this 'software' crossfire on my 955x based (P5WD2) Intel motherboard.

Associate
=assassin= said:
X1900GT is faster than 7900GS, but I'm an NVidia/Leadtek fanboi so I only ever had one option in mind. :)

Lol, sometimes we stick with a company even though they don't deserve it! :D

I don't know why but I've had worse experiences with ATI cards compared to Nvidia, yet here I am still buying them .... weird.

Soldato
OP
well for the amount of power consumption, x1900gt sucks up twice the amount of power compared to a 7900gs and it does not return twice the performance back for it. so my choice would be the 7900gs. that way my gfx card purchase is cheaper since it doesn;t involve buying a new psu in the process.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
that way my gfx card purchase is cheaper since it doesn;t involve buying a new psu in the process.
Rubbish, pure rubbish. If you have a PSU that won't power an X1900GT then you have much more serious problems than choosing which graphics card to buy.

If an X1900XT 512MB can run on an Antec 380W PSU that came with a case, as is the situation with my mate Slyvester who also frequents these forums, then I think any PSU you have can more than easily run an X1900GT. Locutus12 is also running one on a 400W I think, which happens to be the little brother of my Akasa 460W with 29A on the combined 12V rails.

I don't understand this fascination everyone seems to have with wildly over-exaggerating the power requirements of ATI graphics cards. They do draw a lot more power (relatively) than Nvidia graphics cards, but they don't need a nuclear power station to run.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
your clearly underestimating the power consumption. an x1900xt sucks up 10a from the 12v rail. thats a lot of power for any single card to consume. id be better of going quad sli if that was the case.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
your clearly underestimating the power consumption. an x1900xt sucks up 10a from the 12v rail. thats a lot of power for any single card to consume. id be better of going quad sli if that was the case.
No, you are clearly over-exaggerating the problem.

As I said my friend is running his X1900XT (OCed to XT-X speeds) on an identical setup to mine, but he is running a 380W Antec PSU that came with a case. Gibbo would very easily back up what I am saying, as he has said similar over and over again.

Assuming your PSU isn't the absolute bottom of the barrel, it will easily run an X1900 Series graphics card, and if it can't then as I said you have more problems than you think.

Soldato
OP
well whats the exact amount of power x1900xt sucks up from a psu? i got 24a available on my 12v rail. if a x1900xt sucks up 10a of that then there is not much left for the rest of the system, unless the rest of the system hardly sucks up any power......

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
well whats the exact amount of power x1900xt sucks up from a psu? i got 24a available on my 12v rail. if a x1900xt sucks up 10a of that then there is not much left for the rest of the system, unless the rest of the system hardly sucks up any power......
That's because 24A on 12V is poor, I should know because I have 29A on 12V and can't get my Core 2 Duo to 3.2GHz because of it with my setup.

Even my mate's 380W PSU, the one that came with his Antec case, has 32A on 12V at about 70% efficiency. On first glance his PSU is a piece of budget garbage, but it's better than mine so I am assuming these days there is a much different standard.

Suspended
I've got dual 16amp rails with the PSU that came with my NSK 4400 - that's only 380watts I think - should be more than enough for my setup, but I must admit I didn't want to pick components that were any more powerful mainly due to electricity prices being higher, and the cost over a couple of years or more can easily mount up, so I picked lower power components in the end.

Soldato
=assassin= said:
I've got dual 16amp rails with the PSU that came with my NSK 4400 - that's only 380watts I think - should be more than enough for my setup, but I must admit I didn't want to pick components that were any more powerful mainly due to electricity prices being higher, and the cost over a couple of years or more can easily mount up, so I picked lower power components in the end.
Yup, that's the exact same PSU my mate is running with the same setup as in my sig and it's smooth as butter.

Technically that case PSU is better than my Akasa 460W that costed me £80 way back when.

Ignore the scaremongering, as long as you don't have a rubbish PSU the overall wattage doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom