• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4800+ Worth The Upgrade From 3700+ ?

Associate
Hi all,

I Have a 3700+ @ 2960mhz on water atm but I think its holding my two 7900GTX graphics cards back, heres why... Out of interest (and I Like to fiddle)I down clocked both 7900GTX's cards to 650/650 from 650/800 and benched them, firstly using 3dmark 06 then the CS:S speed test.

The results surprised me, I lost only 50pts in 06 and 7fps in CS:S. I then overclocked both cards a little and saw very little gain, so I'm guessing the CPU is holding me back and stopping me from getting the most out of the cards.

So... I saw that the x2 4800+ is down to a reasonable £215, having a 939 motherboard I have a limited upgrade path and this sounds like my last chance to bag one of these cpu's I just wondered if I would see any performance benefit over the 3700+ as its at almost 3gig and how well the 4800+ cpu's clock bearing in mind I have a pretty good water cooler setup.

Thanks! :)

Associate
id say not chap, as not many progs will ultize the dual core ness of the 4800+ you may get a better OC from it but thats luck of the draw id say, if you want to see big gains then its to the darkside im afraid

Ryan.

Rab

Rab

Associate
with w/c u should get around 2.8ghz np, probs more. big diff thou with dc for me is the amount more u can do on the pc @ the same times as say decoding/ripping ect, with single core, was always w8 on 1 job finishing before could start the other. also WHEN a lot more Appz or Games r released with d/c in mind they should get far better. ( TBH thou, how long d/c been out now, aint much in the piplines, from any companys 2 let us use d/c )

best thing i ever done was go d/c, had a athlon64 3000 @ 2.5ghz, got my 3800 @ same, big diff for me :)

Soldato
Rab said:
with w/c u should get around 2.8ghz np, probs more. big diff thou with dc for me is the amount more u can do on the pc @ the same times as say decoding/ripping ect, with single core, was always w8 on 1 job finishing before could start the other. also WHEN a lot more Appz or Games r released with d/c in mind they should get far better. ( TBH thou, how long d/c been out now, aint much in the piplines, from any companys 2 let us use d/c )

best thing i ever done was go d/c, had a athlon64 3000 @ 2.5ghz, got my 3800 @ same, big diff for me :)

English please?

Associate
OP
I did think about the 4600+ and it's a good bit cheaper but I felt as it only has 512Kb L2 cache and the 4800+ has 1mb there would be a significant performance difference?

Suspended
Windows itself is a multi-threaded OS, so it does generally feel nippier, but you have to do a bit of heavy work to see the difference, things like Photoshop, gaming whilst encoding in the background...that sort of thing. Helps having several drives if heavy HD I/O other both SC and DC will slowdown because of HD bottleback (recently added a second HD, so playing game off that, whilst other drive is encoding music) much faster than both accessing the same drive at the same.

Associate
I wouldn't have though a 3700+ at nearly 3Ghz would be bottlenecking your graphics cards.

Because if an AMD chip @ nearly 3Ghz is bottlenecking your CPU (I dont think a X2 4800+ is going to go much higher) then you are going to have to move to Conroe.

Associate
My 4800 wont go above 2.7ghz and thats with nearly 1.6v. On water. At 60C prime on each core. :/

Try the 4400 instead if you are feeling lucky, many of us who stumped up the cash for the 4800 arent seeing the clocks.

Suspended
bilston said:
My 4800 wont go above 2.7ghz and thats with nearly 1.6v. On water. At 60C prime on each core. :/

Try the 4400 instead if you are feeling lucky, many of us who stumped up the cash for the 4800 arent seeing the clocks.

:eek: that is quite poor I can manage 2.7ghz on a 4440+ 1.535v, 50 load on air.

Permabanned
Rab said:

OMG, was this posted from a mobile phone???

Associate
Rab said:
& this helped this thread HOW?
Edit found that out , 300+ post just joined, nice spamming

lol and yet people who try and post constructively and not spam are penalised by not being able to access all forum functions.. When I joined I think you needed 75 posts to view members market? How about if you've been here 12 months, you get full forum privileges anyways? I made a thread about it on general discussion board, was deleted by a mod in about 10mins.. who simply commented No, no, and no.. Which was super helpful. Made me think hmm... maybe I shouldn't have spent 5k+ in last few years with ocuk..

Still, spam seems the way ahead, thing is, I can't do one smilie or one word posts, I just don't see the point.

Back
Top Bottom