England Fined

Soldato
Though I don't like all this racism malarky, I have to say that England are treated differently to everyone else. We really do get punished an awful lot when compared to countries like Turkey and especially Italy. Italy fans are possibly the worst alongside Turkey in my opinion.

When you look at it all, England fans are not as much trouble as it is made out. They only seem to be provoked into trouble.

Just my opinion from the outside looking in anyway.

Soldato
Aye I must admit such a sum is stupid imo & I had heard it was 75k. A fine like this will do nothing to stop those trouble makers who do this sort of thing. It is also highly unbalanced with everything that has happened, and with note for once I must agree with Gilly & bring up Turkey as an international example of how bizarre this is.

Man of Honour
Seems to me this is the way governing bodies in football are going, half measures. They will find people guilty of offences and then impose fines which are relatively small in terms of the defendant. E.g. footballers getting fined £5k by the FA, that doesn't exactly impact a great deal on their income.

It's just a cop-out way of slapping people on the wrist without creating too much controversy by imposing harsh punishments (which can then lead to accusations of inconsistentency compared to other offenders, Turkey in this case).

Same thing with Fergie's punishment, <£5k to him is what a few days wages? The only way to really punish people in football is by punishing them in footballing terms - bans and the like.

The sad thing is that when serious punishments are imposed on Nations (i.e. playing behind closed doors) then thousands of innocent fans end up suffering in addition to teaching the FA a lesson.

On a related note I don't think it helps matters when following a goal England players start rushing off the pitch towards the England fans, that incites trouble a little. I'm not saying they shouldn't celebrate vital goals, but is it really necessary (or advisable) to leave the field of play and in some cases start hugging members of the crowd? Get back in your own half and get on with the game. Again, this doesn't excuse the behaviour or yobs who can't control themselves, but I don't think it helps.

Soldato
Its a start to redemption , but its a bit of a small fine to worry the FA.I think for the most part , its the Turkish fans who cause the trouble.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by [ASSE]Hinchy
Though I don't like all this racism malarky, I have to say that England are treated differently to everyone else. We really do get punished an awful lot when compared to countries like Turkey and especially Italy.

Slovakia - punished with a closed doors game

England - an insignificant fine in contravention of the guidelines

In what way are England unfairly treated? The loss from a closed doors game the FA would have suffered is £2m, a far more appropriate punishment.

its the Turkish fans who cause the trouble.

It wasn't on the evening in question.

Soldato
Uefa are a joke, England should be treated sternly, as should Inter Milan earlier this year, as should Turkey and their teams. There's no consistency at all and no standard so how can I say whether it's harsh or fair?

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
70k? :eek:

And what have Turkey got for all their performances in the past? :mad:

Damn right Gilly, they've kicked off all over Europe over the last few years, murdering two Leeds fans, terrorising Arsenal fans in Copenhagen (I know this as I was there), kicked off at the Parc Des Princes etc, etc.

The only reason why things were that bad was the disgraceful treatment various English fans have received every time they play a Turkish team.

That said, any kind of racism is abhorrent and shouldn't be tolerated.

Permabanned
Damn right Gilly, they've kicked off all over Europe over the last few years, murdering two Leeds fans, terrorising Arsenal fans in Copenhagen (I know this as I was there), kicked off at the Parc Des Princes etc, etc.

And our `boys` havent?:rolleyes: , everytime there is a tourny, its the idiots from our side who have been involved,everytime.We export more hooliganism all over europe than any other country, the turks are bad too,But in all honesty we are worse, at the game in question the turks werent involved.

But thats the flippin problem with uefa they dont know their arse from their elbow,half measures,inconsitency galore, it htink it were will carling a few years ago,refeered to the rugby bosses as `old farts`, i think that statement applies here too

Soldato
Originally posted by wohoo
And our `boys` havent?:rolleyes: , everytime there is a tourny, its the idiots from our side who have been involved,everytime.We export more hooliganism all over europe than any other country, the turks are bad too,But in all honesty we are worse, at the game in question the turks werent involved.

No they weren't involved, but due to their actions towards English fans in the last few years, tempers were obviously raised.

Our fans have their bad times and the world's press are very quick to pick up on that, but we're not as bad as their supporters, but they never seem to get the bad press, why's that???

Everyone seems to forget the Dutch, Germans, Greeks, Italians, Argentinians etc, etc, it's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and slaughter the English fans all the time.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Big Kev

Everyone seems to forget the Dutch, Germans, Greeks, Italians, Argentinians etc, etc, it's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and slaughter the English fans all the time.

Its coz England fans are so damn good at hooliganism! They must be trained.

No they weren't involved, but due to their actions towards English fans in the last few years, tempers were obviously raised.

From what i've read of the fans who attacked the Turkish buses, they attacked like wild animals which suggests blind hatred and not raised tempers.

Soldato
Originally posted by Yossarian
Its coz England fans are so damn good at hooliganism! They must be trained.

As you're a Scot, I'll ignore that comment.;)

From what i've read of the fans who attacked the Turkish buses, they attacked like wild animals which suggests blind hatred and not raised tempers.

But where they walking around with big knives, stabbing people to death and terrorising the general population???

Associate
OP
As you're a Scot, I'll ignore that comment.;)

Careful ;)

But where they walking around with big knives, stabbing people to death and terrorising the general population???

Fair point. However to put it into perspective it was 2 people who were stabbed in Istanbul, tragic and unnaceptable but proportionally very small. I can't comment on the terrorising of the other fans except to say English fans trashed and terrorised much of France during France 98.

Soldato

Fair point. However to put it into perspective it was 2 people who were stabbed in Istanbul, tragic and unnaceptable but proportionally very small. I can't comment on the terrorising of the other fans except to say English fans trashed and terrorised much of France during France 98.

What about the Germans killing someone in France, if my memory serves me right, a policeman. The locals who continually attacked the English fans during the tournament, what about the murders that happen all the time throughout Europe and South America, as I said before, the Turks were running around Copenhagen attacking small groups of Arsenal fans with knives, attacking Danes at will, rioting in Paris.

England fans do have a deserved bad reputation, but murders DO NOT happen nowadays, but that isn't the case everywhere else, so putting things in context, we aren't as bad as a lot of other nations.

Associate
OP

else, so putting things in context, we aren't as bad as a lot of other nations.

Well i agree with that. But I don't think Turkish fans can be demonised for one incident. I know 2 people who went to Istanbul in 2000 when Rangers played Galatasaray, they said it was like any other away game in europe, didn't see any real trouble and apart from the airport welcome from the Galatasaray fans didnt think it was all that hostile.

what about the murders that happen all the time throughout Europe and South America

Exactly, its not only Turkish fans who have killed opposition fans.

Soldato
I think this punishment is leanient, we should have been made to play a game behind closed doors.

But sonsidering we usually get treated far worse than anyone else it's about time we got some leinency.

Other countries fans are a lot worse, domestically and at home, but England fans travel very badly, i don't know what it is, mabye it's the we are English and by right much better than anyone else and should be abel to do what we like psyche that these idiots have, when Italian fans seem when following Italy are not too much of a problem, mabye thir hooligans, have a sense of national pride and do not want to tarnish their nation or something.

Domestically, the Italians, Spanish, Argentinians, Turks, Germans and others are far far worse than us and rarely get punished, because they do not go on and on about it in their papers calling themselfs disgraceful.

When English teams were banned from Europe, it was all blamed on the Liverpool fans, but from what i have come to understand about the situation, Liverpool fans were forced into the Juve fans by the disgraceful police force, in a stadium that wasn't fit for conference football, oddly enough trouble broke out, as it would if you force that amount of rival fans together, especially in a heated game, then peple paniced and surged forward and a wall collapsed, and people were crushed and sadly died.

This should have been investigated thoroughly, as to why the game was at the first place played at such a sub standard stadium, why the police took such obviously stupid action. and to why the trouble broke out. But the English media did all the work for them, the fans were branded as nutcases that should be strung up, and we were a disgrace, and as the government jumped on the bandwaggon, Uefa had no option to take harsh action in the light of the condemnation from home sources.

If this had been Barca v Juve, the same thing may well have happened, but i highly doubt the spanish media would have been up in arms and the government would almost definately not got involved, and a more suitable punishment would have been administered.

A good few years ago at a fiorentina match, a small explosive device was thrown onto the pitch, which injured a referee, this game had already been moved to a neutral venue because of trouble at fiorentina games, yet when this happened ralatively leinient punishment was given out. If that had been at old trafford after an Arsenal game had been moved due to trouble, i highly suspect that we would have been kicked out of europe again.

Soldato
People have been killed at a number of top flight European league matches, I seem to remember when Football Italia was on C4 at least two fans being killed within the stadium in a season. Likewise in the Dutch league where fans are literally caged. I don't understand why Inter got away with throwing rocks and flares at Newcastle fans and players, not to mention the racial abuse which was equally as bad as at the Stadium of Plight. There's no consistency in Uefa, they're muppets just like the FA.

Soldato
Agree, at the time Italian football was on c4 it was terrible, stabbings, assaults and such like were happening at most games, and worse. It's not quite as bad now, but still bad. and yet nothing ever happens to them.

Like you said UEFA - Muppets, just like the FA

Soldato
England got off easy they should have had to play the game behind closed doors. Slovakia had to do so for a much less offense so i dont know why some of u are complaining that uefa are harsh to u.

Like Yossarian why are people trashing talking turkey fans all the time over a couple of bad incidents, i know what they did was wrong but lets not try and make it out like the english are angels ;)

Back
Top Bottom