been ripped off

Associate
wtf -just checked my internet banking site & discover I've been ****ted to the tune of £200+ via 3 payments which are nothing to do with myself :mad:
One was for about £187 to some office supplies company and another of the payments was a ****take of a payment for £2.00 to muslimaid.com!! I am so angry.
I have a fair idea where this fraud originated from so for anyone out there who has a 3-in-1 card (ie cash point/debit/cheque guarantee card) do not be tempted to buy fuel & cigs at a garage or order a home delivered curry using a cheque whilst waiting for pay day to arrive.

I've rung the bank & cancelled my card and will speak to the fraud dept tomorrow morning to see how much I can claim back. Has anyone else out there been in a similar position & what advice can you give me to get this money back? No doubt my bank will try to blame me for this fraud so any pointers would be most appreciated.

Man of Honour
The trouble is that it's really difficult to work out where this could have started from.

I have heard of stories of guys searching through your rubbish for old receipts which may have card numbers/details on them. You have to be careful with stuff like that which is why whenever I have a receipt or anything with my card number I tear off and if I can burn the part with my details on them.

My mate was the victim of similar things a while ago - and luckily for him one payment was made while he was in the bank talking to the manager about his problems. He got all of his money back which was cool since it amounted to around £800!

Associate
OP
greenlizard0 said:
The trouble is that it's really difficult to work out where this could have started from.

Very true. I've had this particular card for some time so the card details could have been copied or cloned some time ago. Luckily I'm normally skint so anyone would usually have a hard time getting anything out of my account lol.
Looks like they just got lucky this time with the timing of their shopping spree being around the (brief) time I actually had money in my account :(

Pez

Pez

Soldato
FishPolice said:
I have a fair idea where this fraud originated from so for anyone out there who has a 3-in-1 card (ie cash point/debit/cheque guarantee card) do not be tempted to buy fuel & cigs at a garage or order a home delivered curry using a cheque whilst waiting for pay day to arrive.

Interesting. Another person who belives that they can write cheques even though they dont have the money to cover them.

On another note, if you didnt do it, your bank will cover you 100%. I've seen many instances of muslimaid.com.

Soldato
This happened to me last month. Phoned the bank and reported it, they gave me the money back next day and sent me a form to acknowledge that I hadn't authorised the payments and that was it. Thumbs up to First Direct :)

Soldato
Assuming you are with a half decent bank then they should write it off as they will have a fraud protection scheme in place.

Its just up to you to convince them that you didnt authorise the payments. If you can do that, you will be fine.

Associate
OP
Well I have just spoken the the fraud dept at my bank and they have told me I am NOT liable for the amounts taken out of my account. PHEW :)

Great news except I guess this means I won't be receiving the muslim maid now :(

Soldato
FishPolice said:
Well I have just spoken the the fraud dept at my bank and they have told me I am NOT liable for the amounts taken out of my account. PHEW :)

Great news except I guess this means I won't be receiving the muslim maid now :(

Oh well thats good :D

Unless ofcourse muslim maid is code for something like...........the national lottery jackpot

Soldato
Had a similar thing on my Egg card.

Egg were very quick to deal with and I was not liable for transactions.

Muslim Aid was used to defraud me.

According to the reassuring Egg worker, 'This thing happens all the time'..

Soldato
So that makes 3 people in this thread who have all seen muslim aid come up on their bank statements.

How do these people get your details?

If the banks are wise to who they are then why dont they just block anything under that name?

Permabanned
Nazbit said:
So that makes 3 people in this thread who have all seen muslim aid come up on their bank statements.

How do these people get your details?

If the banks are wise to who they are then why dont they just block anything under that name?

Its common when using card details to go for a small amount first of all to see if the card has been blocked, before then going in to big transactions if it hasnt (Small ones arouse less suspicion).

Charity donations are most commonly used for this., so its not surprising at all. I'd be wary of suggesting that the charity in question is linked to the fraud, for two reasons. 1) Its an incredibly dim thing to do - to steal credit cards and then use them to pay money directly to yourself/your organistaion and 2) Surely if you were going to do that you'd pick a larger amount than a few quid.

Permabanned
Tin hat - whats not to say muslimaid is a cover for funding terrorism or something extreme like that. Uk banks search out dodgey potentials and where their monies go to fund groups.

/Tin hat

Associate
I got a phone call from John Lewis saying that i had been cut off before she could give me my reference number. I went online to see what it was about and found out that i had bought an £800 plasma screen. I phoned JL to say it wasnt me and they canceled the order, then phone Barclaycard who canceled the card, the payment didnt even appear on their records.
The strange thing was neither JL or BC really that botherd about it at all. I was really annoyed but they seemed to just brush it off.

Associate
OP
Visage said:
Its common when using card details to go for a small amount first of all to see if the card has been blocked

Yeah that would make sense.

What is annoying though is that the office supplies company took the £187 out of my account on the 6th Sept but did not actually despatch the goods (ink cartridges) as they became suspicious. Why then did they not refund the card straight away? Presumably they have had it sat in an account gaining interest for them whilst awaiting contact from "the customer" or a fraud investigation team.

When will banks get their acts together? I mean where I work I sometimes need to take card payments from customers. It would be so easy to glance at the back of the card to see the last 3 digits of the security number. We always have the customer's address details on file already. The customer gets his copy of the receipt, we keep the other copy. So following one of these transactions I could very easily have a card number & expiry date, the card security digits, the customer name & address. Now all I need is an online company who will despatch goods to an address different to the billing address. This is insane. What are the banks thinking of?...

Back
Top Bottom