• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4800+ Worth The Upgrade From 3700+ ?

Permabanned
Madwelsh said:
lol and yet people who try and post constructively and not spam are penalised by not being able to access all forum functions.. When I joined I think you needed 75 posts to view members market? How about if you've been here 12 months, you get full forum privileges anyways? I made a thread about it on general discussion board, was deleted by a mod in about 10mins.. who simply commented No, no, and no.. Which was super helpful. Made me think hmm... maybe I shouldn't have spent 5k+ in last few years with ocuk..

Still, spam seems the way ahead, thing is, I can't do one smilie or one word posts, I just don't see the point.

Totally understand. I joined over two years ago. I had made 85 posts in that time. All constructive. In the last 2 months I have made over 200 posts and got up the nose of quite a few people.

Oh, and BTW, in doing so I learned that you can go on one thread, say "Windows and Other Software", and merely question why people would buy Vista and end up starting a flame war. You know people quoting your posts whilst knowingly taking your coments out of context. They started quoting the usual I love Vista stuff, "DX10, security, etc", you know the usual posts when "everyone else is wrong and talking crap if they disagree with my viewpoint" fanboy stuff.

However, when I posted on the "Games" and posted in a thread "PC vs Xb360", and questioned buying an 360 when it wont be able to upgrade to Dx10 when Vista comes out. Got flamed saying "not everyone wants to upgrade, blah, blah"...

God help them if they ever met in a pub... Hmmm. Come to think of it, it was probably the same people contridicting themselves. Its rife... And ive been posting everyday for 2 years.... :p

Come on Madwelsh, you can do it. Just turn on the diahorea button on your keyboard. :cool:

Oh, and if you have the money to buy a x2 4800+, then of course its worth the upgrade from a 3700. It will be like going from a Duron 1800 to a Athlon 64 3200+. If your asking is cost affective in the long run. Then probably not. Your probably going to need a new mobo. 939 is dead in the water

(even though I bought one... but I dont mind, I always replace everything... and what I got now will do me for 2 years... )

Do you want to change Mobo's, RAM at the same time? Do you have the funds? How long are you prepared to wait? Will you have the funds in a month. Sure Conroe is great an all... But it was over my budget. It would have cost me more a decent Conroe mobo at the time of my upgrade that my AMD CPU cost. It blew my budget, and I wasnt going to double to save 10-15 seconds of a lame mp3 encode...

Maybe next time around I might... But then I might wait till next year and get Quad Core Conroes for the same price... I bet there are a lot of Conroe owners a little bit miffed they didnt hold out for the Quad Core... I didnt spend too much on my upgrade after I sold my old rig. Maybe I might sell this rig come 6 months, and get a cheapo duo then...

:p

Last edited:
Associate
UKTopGun said:
No wonder you only get 2.7Ghz then. Why spend £300+ on CPU + Water then buy a cheap mobo? :confused:
I recently fubarred my MSI Neo2 Plat by flashing it and that failing. I was attempting to flash it with a BIOS that had dual core support. Hence why I have a 4800+.

As I was on the MSI still, I had an AGP card. The asrock one is the only board with an AGP slot in it still, while still providing a bit of future proofing with a PCIE slot aswell.

It's not a bad board all things considered, I seriously doubt it is the culprit behind my poorly clocking X2 as I can use high dividers to keep the FSB down to acceptable levels while also maintaining high clocks on the CPU. Others that have the X24800 from the last batch have also had problems with getting high clocks.

Your confusion should now be gone ;)

Soldato
Rab said:
& this helped this thread HOW?
Edit found that out , 300+ post just joined, nice spamming

I may be a forum whore, but my posts aren't "spam".

My point was that if you are going to make a post then please try to use proper grammar and spelling; it makes it much easier to read, therefore you get better answers.

Permabanned
gurusan said:
My point was that if you are going to make a post then please try to use proper grammar and spelling; it makes it much easier to read, therefore you get better answers.

I couldn't agree more. I can understand a bit of l337 speak on a txt message. Its got a small screen and a numeric keypad to enter words. However, on a PC with even a 15" screen at 800x640 res, there is no excuse for it.

It doesnt look smart, it looks stupid. Also your posts will date very quickly because its a cultural generation sensation. Like flares in the 70's. big hair in the 80's and boy bands in the 90's. In a few years, you'll look back and see how sad you were for using words such as "pwned".

:p

Soldato
kona ryan said:
id say not chap, as not many progs will ultize the dual core ness of the 4800+ you may get a better OC from it but thats luck of the draw id say, if you want to see big gains then its to the darkside im afraid

Ryan.

Why is it that some ppl only think of single app benefits. :o

Suspended
Final8y said:
Why is it that some ppl only think of single app benefits. :o

No idea. People presume if something isn't multi-threaded it won't be faster. Windows itself is a multi-core OS so it WILL be faster for EVERYTHING, and you're less likely to overload/hog the system to a half (bar HD I/O access of course)

Associate
squiffy said:
No idea. People presume if something isn't multi-threaded it won't be faster. Windows itself is a multi-core OS so it WILL be faster for EVERYTHING, and you're less likely to overload/hog the system to a half (bar HD I/O access of course)

but would you say that was worth £215? i certainly wouldnt. and seeing as though the original question was is it worth it, id say that it was a valid response

Back
Top Bottom