My gut.....the final step.

Soldato
Does anyone have any advice for getting rid of this pair of love-handles and sticky outty at the bottom belly bit I've cultivated? Upper Chest and legs are reasonably well-defined and I'm happy with the amount of work and exercise I do there, but it's just that final little ring of lard I need to get shot of. I used to exercise and play a lot of sport, then I let myself go (damn EQ) - in the last six months I've shed 2.5 stone and now I just need to finish it off.

I'm of the belief (but I could be wrong) that the high intensity stuff I used to do when I was a rugby player was great at getting rid of little excesses - the sprint 50 yards, then jog back, then 15 seconds rest, then 70% sprint etc.... but my knees are shot these days, so high impact stuff like jogging (especially treadmills, they make my legs lock up for some reason) and running are out of the question. Considering getting a bike again (had an accident a couple years back and haven't been on one since) or, since the weather up here for the next four months isn't conducive to being outside, getting an indoor bike or rowing machine.

Finances are finite, as is space indoors, but I can splash out some cash :)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Man of Honour
Don't waste any money on fancy gear or gimmicks! That's my foremost advice.

Sit-ups are probably the best exercise you could do for that, and won't have any effect on your knees. Depending on how serious a problem your knees are, you could also try my favourite exercise, which is a real heart-pounder and sweat-producer: burpees. Get a nice, thick but plush exercise mat. That's the only thing I'd recommend spending money on. (If you don't know what burpees are, run a search on them as it'd take me forever to type out an explanation.)

Soldato
You can't spot reduce that fat, so cardio is the way to go. If you can't run then get on the bike, rower or cross trainer.

This is how you do burpees and they would work as it's basic cardio.

Soldato
Firstly,post your diet.No point in doing anything unless you're eating properly :)

Deadly Ferret said:
...Sit-ups are probably the best exercise you could do for that, and won't have any effect on your knees....

I'm sorry but that is wrong.Sit-ups,crunches,leg raises etc all harden and build the muscle underneath the layer of fat.As Brenos above me has said..you cannot spot-reduce fat by exercising the area you want to lose fat from.Burpees whilst good would kill the knees IMHO..and you're already weak in that area so I'd steer clear.

Cardio is your friend and lots of it.Swimming or rowing would be my preference but cycling is also acceptable.

Soldato
Deadly Ferret said:
No need to apologise. I disagree though. Sit-ups are cardio...

Crikey..I could never do the amount needed for them to considered cardio.I wish I could.The wife,I'm sure,would wish I could (then perhaps that damnable poster of Brad Pitt from Fight Club could come off the wall)

But let's see his diet first..then we can really help :D

Soldato
OP
My diet is pretty consistent through the week - on the weekends, it's more of a potluck thing. During the week while I'm at work it's easy to regiment things.

In the last six weeks I've lost 16 pounds (I'd hit a kind of block at 18.5 stone) with the following during the week:

Breakfast - 07h30:
Medium bowl of Fruit and Fibre with Skimmed milk
Glass of fruit juice

Lunch 1 - 10h30:
Chicken/Ham Sandwich, wholemeal bread

Lunch 2 - 14h00:
Chicken/Ham Sandwich, wholemeal bread

Tea - 17h30:
3/4 Piece of Ryvita with low fat spread

Supper - 20h00:
Various - I'm quite concious of what I eat, so never anything more than 600 calories or so - most of my evening meals are between 350 and 400 calories. Ranges from home-made curries, to chicken pieces with mushrooms. Also a fair few low-fat prepared meals from the supermarket too....I get tired ;)

Weekends are very similar except occasionally the breakfast cereal is swapped with two pieces of toast and I leave out one of my lunches.

Exercise-wise, I walk for anywhere between 15 and 35 minutes every morning, and 15 minutes at night. Four nights a week (3 weekdays evenings and once on the weekend) I do crunches, bench dips, press-ups and various other exercises for around 20 minutes (this really gets a sweat going).

I don't have motivation issues with regards working out at home, which is why I thought a CV-machine at home would be a good idea.

I have one vice, the Friday night after work, but that hasn't stopped me dropping off a pound or two a week for the last six. On the plus side, my Friday nights out are no longer ended with a kebab, chips and various other things ;)

Thanks for the advice, fellas :)

Soldato
Your diet seems fine to me, anyone else disagree? Just a matter of Cardio work, since your knees are bad can you go go on the rowing machine or biking? Ever heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)?

Soldato
I'd say if you start a cardio routine don't restrict your calories too much, because your body will go into starvation mode and actually retain fat. So although your cardiovascular system will develop, i.e. you might not make visible improvements.

Google is your friend, pretty sure you will be able to find lots of calorie calculators, diet advice etc.

Soldato
OP
I've heard of HIIT - but was never entirely sure what is was - so I Googled it....pretty much like the plan I detailed above with the sprinting and jogging at rugby practice all those years ago when I could still run farther than the bus stop without my legs falling off. ;)

I pretty much cut about 600 calories a day off my usual diet, if not more - but then I used to be a nightmare for food and beer. I could have cut it in half to be honest. I like to make sure I get plenty of protein and carbs in my diet (lots of chicken and rice these days) so there's a good balance.

Because I only eat small amounts I usually get hungry every few hours, but since I decided to just have a small meal whenever I'm hungry, I'm losing more weight. It's just the bottom part of the gut now (and the love handles) - when I suck in, there's barely any difference these days - I think it's progress :)

Thanks again for your comments, everyone. It's looking more and more like I'm gonna get an exercise bike for some HIIT over the next month or so, and see how it goes - but I'm still open to suggestion...

Soldato
Yeah small meals more times a day is the best way to go.
When using your bike just warm yourself up for about 5minutes by doing it gently but slughtly pushing yourself, take a rest.
Get back on the bike at the same pace for say a minute, then go as fast as you can for say half a second (maybe not 100% as this unsustainable, try about 90%), do this a few times its hard the more you do it the better you get at it I suppose.

Soldato
Deadly Ferret said:
No need to apologise. I disagree though. Sit-ups are cardio, and would give him the benefit of a strong stomach/core as well as a nice look. No negative effect on the knees too.

How many sit-ups do you do?

Soldato
OP
Vegeta said:
Get back on the bike at the same pace for say a minute, then go as fast as you can for say half a second (maybe not 100% as this unsustainable, try about 90%)
I'm not trying to be funny, because I do appreciate the advice - but you do mean half a minute, right? I'd be quite upset if I couldn't sustain half a second of effort ;)

Linoge said:
How many sit-ups do you do?
Me or the Ferret dude?

Personally I do between 20 and 50 (I like to change stuff around), either straight crunches or twists, legs up/down, usually in two sets with a break inbetween so I don't feel like I've been shot in the guts.

Soldato
im in the same situation, for the last 2 months ive cut everything that wasnt healthy out my diet. so far lost about 1.5 stone and trying to loose that last ring of fat around my waist. i now walk 4 miles a day to work and play football once a week along with swimming when i can. its slowly working just need to give it more time

MW

Back
Top Bottom