What male greetings/acknowledgements for young female acquaintances/random persons?

Soldato
Chick, sweetie, biatch! depends who it is :D

I usually use their name though, I thought thats why they have names :confused:

Man of Honour
John, how about being called fella? 'Nice one fella, speak to you later' is a common term for me to use if someone does something for me at work, for instance.

Associate
z0mbi3 said:
Hand them 10 bucks and say "Shake it baby"

actually a good idea,sounds like fun and worth a try :D

i use " hi sweet " on a daily basis - goes down fine but too many times(more than 2) & its too flirty really,unless you know them well enough.

Girls are fairly attuned to knowing the difference bettween sleaze and a joke or introduction IMO so most words unless repeated parrot fashion are okay if there is no immediate 2nd meaning ie chicken could mean chicken legs

people love it when you use there name in a way that makes it like you are talking only to them :)

Man of Honour
Mrchu_ said:
actually a good idea,sounds like fun and worth a try :D

It is only a good idea if you are a) lantern jawed and b) called Duke Nukem, other than that I'd guess the most likely response is a quick slap if you are lucky. :)

As I said before maybe I'm just a simpleton but I find a hello and introducing myself seems to work fine in pretty much any circumstance you'd care to name.

Soldato
Scott Salisbury said:
How can something so trivial annoy you so much? I don't understand :confused:

I sometimes say "Cheers mate" if people let me passed or hold a door etc, but not often. But, if people use these words with me, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I like it.

It's just a way of being that little bit more friendly, it works for some people and doesn't for others.

I didn't say it annoyed me, I said that I find it creepy. Why should a stranger presume to elevate themselves to an unwarranted level of friendship? I find 'Mate', 'Buddy', 'Pal' et al all slightly nauseating when coming from complete strangers.

Associate
Von Luck said:
I find 'Mate', 'Buddy', 'Pal' et al all slightly nauseating when coming from complete strangers.

fair enough if a pet name comes across as an excuse for not getting to at least hear your name.but what if someone else doesnt feel comfortable using a title thats more direct or more formal?
Would you give off body language representing an air of uncomfortability??
curious

Plus theres 2 hot tarts at work that would show a little for a tenner(theyd probably do more, but im not having it)

And i mean it as only a joke.as it is probably illegal :D

Soldato
Von Luck said:
I didn't say it annoyed me, I said that I find it creepy. Why should a stranger presume to elevate themselves to an unwarranted level of friendship? I find 'Mate', 'Buddy', 'Pal' et al all slightly nauseating when coming from complete strangers.

You find it nauseating? Someone is pleasant to you and you want to vomit? Would you rather they said thank you man of average build and height? :p

I applaud everyone here who goes out of their way to seem that little bit more affiable and friendly. If someone is kind enough to hold a door for me, they can be my mate. I can't see the harm.

For me if it's random kindness from a woman it's a big smile and a thank you or a cheers. If it's a woman behind a till or a transaction of some kind it's a big smile and a cheers ma'dear. No damn harm in being pleasant.

Soldato
This thread reminds me of the time my father's politeness was questioned.

He was walking out of a shop just as a woman was walking toward the door. As he always does, he stepped out, but paused to hold the heavy door open for her and I assume most people here would do the same.

She stopped on the threshold, turned and said to him "Would you have done that if I was a man?"

Understandably taken aback at having his manners questioned so bluntly, he replies quick as a flash "Why, are you a man?", lets the door go, and walks off leaving said woman scowling after him. Great stuff :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Conscript said:
This thread reminds me of the time my father's politeness was questioned.

He was walking out of a shop just as a woman was walking toward the door. As he always does, he stepped out, but paused to hold the heavy door open for her and I assume most people here would do the same.

She stopped on the threshold, turned and said to him "Would you have done that if I was a man?"

Understandably taken aback at having his manners questioned so bluntly, he replies quick as a flash "Why, are you a man?", lets the door go, and walks off leaving said woman scowling after him. Great stuff :)

Good answer, although I would have just said yes. :)

Soldato
smids said:
Don't ever, EVER say that. First, after a vein in my forehead bulges, I go into a rage and want to hurt furry little animals.

I am becoming angry right now at the thought of it and can't adequately articulate my feelings on that particular word!

I am overjoyed that someone feels the same as I do regarding the evil that is "Chicken".

Soldato
I agree with the opinion that 'love / mate / darling' etc. is just annoying, it makes me feel un-comfortable. What's wrong with just 'hey' or 'hey there' or 'hello' : ( I don't get it.
My only exception is 'dogg', or possibly 'house of lords', 'cos they're cool.

Soldato
damn some people are wound up way too tight ....

the world in general is too hostile these days and i for one try to be as nice and friendly to everyone i meet

a guy holding a door for me would usually get "cheers", sometimes "cheers mate"
a girl holding a door for me ........ "thanks" followed by a big cheesy grin :D (like this one)

Soldato
Just to seem to chip in :

Typically i call all ages of Men and Women "young man/ladie" Respectively.
Or i call the female "lass", seems less formal and freindly.

Alright lass? / how are we young ladie?. Latter more formal, than the former, But also depends on what mood i'm in.

Back
Top Bottom