Track day tips?

Soldato
housemaster said:
My E46 M3's of which I have owned 2 in the past were both wet sump and it was very clear in the manual that over filling them with oil was 'likely' to cause engine damage. On 4 separate occasions I took my car back to the dealers after servicing to get them to remove excess oil. Eventually they learned to stop over filling them, and I was astonished to see their total lack of understanding of the problems of over filling M3's even though it was stated by BMW that it was no no. My wifes Golf Mk5 Golf GTI also states clearly that you should never over fill the engine oil as this may cause damage to the engine.

My 330d is always overfilled by dealers too. Very annoying :mad:

Caporegime
Duke said:
I met a group of MX5 owners who seemed really nice people and there was another Puma on track. Usual M3, Evos, Imprezas etc.

Managed to hit 110mph going towards Avonrise.. bit of a tank slapper as well there with the lowered suspension lol.
Gave the MX5s a good run.. was quicker than the 1.6s and just catching the 1.8 turbo which I thought was pretty good.

Photos + video over the weekend.

Such a great car on the track can't wait to get mine back on :)

Permabanned
What the hell am i on about.. lol

Anyways bad luck about going off :( I was lucky when i come off that i went into the middle of the field! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yeah bit of a mess but it woke me up and taught me a hell of a lot. I went out much more carefully and concentrated a lot more.. building up the speed lap by lap.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks bad :(

Duke said:
I was heading towards tower corner with two evo's (who were racing each other) closing in. I pulled to the left side of the track, going down hammerdown but they didn't go past as I expected them too.. queue me then missing my breaking point for Tower corner and drifting off and kissing the tyre barrier :(
After a couple of track days you get used to 'being on track' and other cars wont phase you. You get good at seeing them in the rear view and choosing exactly the right point to get out of their way. It is daunting the first time, but I dont think any driver - even the annoying corporate ones - minds being held up for up to two corners.

I had intended posting asking what you were doing pulling over "to the left", but isnt Castle Combe the sole uk track to go round the other way? If you missed your braking point, then you know why they didnt overtake you. You out braked them! ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Trickle said:
After a couple of track days you get used to 'being on track' and other cars wont phase you. You get good at seeing them in the rear view and choosing exactly the right point to get out of their way. It is daunting the first time, but I dont think any driver - even the annoying corporate ones - minds being held up for up to two corners.

I had intended posting asking what you were doing pulling over "to the left", but isnt Castle Combe the sole uk track to go round the other way? If you missed your braking point, then you know why they didnt overtake you. You out braked them! ;)
Yeah after a few runs, I felt a lot more confident and was passing as many cars as I had to let by. I was prepared to go home after feeling a **** from doing that but after some other people came over and gave their stories etc I felt more at home, had some help bodging it and got back out there.
I don't know if the MX5 chaps had been on track before (I'm guessing they are semi-regular) but one of them spun in the same corner as I did after passing me.. thankfully for him though he kept it on the black stuff and I just had to brake hard myself to make sure we didn't touch.

You have to pull and indicate to the left side when being passed at CC. Isn't that the same for other tracks?

Soldato
SgtTupac said:
Anyways bad luck about going off :( I was lucky when i come off that i went into the middle of the field! :D
Likewise, I span off at combe once after overtaking an elise and Impreza STI in one manouvere, messed up my corner entry and then that was that and into the field in the middle!

Back
Top Bottom