• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OK. So your Gfx card has got up and left... whats next?

Associate
Now, thanx to you guy's I have diagnosed my graphics card with acute Amnesia, that is its memory is no more… its ex-memory. RIP

This leaves me in the awkward position of being graphics card-less (apart from the X600 piece of cr*p that came with my machine) and I was wondering if any of you Gents would be kind enough to point me in the right direction in terms of a replacement???

I have a Dell 5150 system with a P4 3GHz processor, 2Gb DDR2 RAM, a (somewhat empty) PCI express interface and a max budget of £200.

The million dollar question? -If you were me, how would you spend my money???

:D :confused: :D

Soldato
Ouch at the 3ghz P4.

I'd say X1900GT or X1900XT 256Mb, even then I think they are a waste with such a lower powered CPU unless you game at 1600x1200 or over.

a X1800XT or X1800GTO might do...

Caporegime
GingerAngles said:
can I upgrade the CPU? if so what would you recommend???
:confused:

Depending on what socket,I presume s775 then you could get a 3.4ghz P4 but it wouln't be worth it.

If thinking of upgrading CPU you might as well sell the dell with th x600 and build yourself a conroe rig.

6300 £120
DS3 £100
Geil DDR 2 £150

Caporegime
GingerAngles said:
Alright, sounds like a plan. Any words of wisdom (or a list of thing to buy and how to put them together? lol)

:D

TBH you will be suprised how little you will be spending after selling the dell.

add me to msn and ill sort you out. :)

Soldato
I would save your money and just get a 1800xt or 7900GT for ~£140

Nothing wrong with your cpu imo. The way they were talking you'd think you was on a PIII. Save your money.

Last edited:
Soldato
just run games at ultra high resolutions and slap on loads of AA and AF, thats what i intend to do when my x1900xt arrives.

if your current machine is fine for you in the cpu department, such as general use and some gaming, then get a x1900gt and save up the extra cash for a upgrade next year and go for quad core.

also check the psu in the dell pc, it may not be able to handle the load of the x1900 cards. if it can;t handle the load then just get a 7600gt.

would advise against a 7900 series card, after what happened to my 7900gs. :mad:

Soldato
qwerty07 said:
Can anyone say bottleneck? p4?

The cpu the weakest part of the system yes. But come on is it really going to make any difference. Your probably looking at 2-3 fps at most. Yeah really worth the hassle and expense.

Like the guy above said you might need a new PSU. Would advise a decent PSU anyway the Dell is probably some generic carp.

Associate
easyrider said:
Depending on what socket,I presume s775 then you could get a 3.4ghz P4 but it wouln't be worth it.

If thinking of upgrading CPU you might as well sell the dell with th x600 and build yourself a conroe rig.

6300 £120
DS3 £100
Geil DDR 2 £150

got to agree with easy on this 1 sell it and build your own m8

plus i dont think the stock psu in a dell will cope with a x1900 most dells have a 250watt
and they have different plugs on them so be carefull if your going to replace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom