First car advice

Soldato
Associate
Try to see the car before you part with money. If possible, drive the car.

It's a 1994 Fiesta, should be fairly cheap. Nevertheless, I would be wary of a car that costs £300-ish. The quality needs to be asertained physically. If possible, take a mechanic-friend/the AA out to check the car over.

You don't want to spend £300-ish only for it to go wrong soon after.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Cueball said:
If possible, drive the car.

If possible!? No, definitely drive the car. Better still, get someone with more driving experience to drive it for you. It's the easiest way by far to pick up any faults.

Engine size will be a 1.8, non-turbo I believe :).

Soldato
yeh, spend at least £1k, it may seem a lot, but if you buy a cheap car it'l only cost you more in *** long run, likely to fail mot's etc etc, there are some good deals out there shop about on autotrader etc etc, ppl looking for quick sales, corsa's are cheap to insure as a first car, bear this in mind(insurance) b4 u buy.

A friends dad sed he'd pay for his sons insurance, he son went a brought a mg zr 1.4 16v as his fir car(103bhp) insurance is setting him back £2.5k minimum, lucky b*stard, lol

Soldato
Benny06 said:
yeh, spend at least £1k, it may seem a lot, but if you buy a cheap car it'l only cost you more in *** long run, likely to fail mot's etc etc,

Not really. I paid £100 for my volvo 740 estate. ran it for 4 months, put it in for MOT, passed 1st time and im still running it. Had it for 8 months and 9k miles and not one failiure.

The car in the 1st post has a full MOT, its a diesel. Its cheap motoring at its best. Hell its no BMW 540i but its good enough for a first car :)

Dont spend £1k on your first car if you dont want too. After all, its going to get a few knocks and scrapes, so its not worth it. get a cheap car and build a few years NCB first, then progress to something better / more powerfull :)

Benny06 said:
A friends dad sed he'd pay for his sons insurance, he son went a brought a mg zr 1.4 16v as his fir car(103bhp) insurance is setting him back £2.5k minimum, lucky b*stard, lol

SOunds a bit silly really, buying a totally rubbish car, then paying mental insurance premium also?

Last edited:
Soldato
Benny06 said:
corsa's are cheap to insure as a first car, bear this in mind(insurance) b4 u buy.

o dear. stay clear of all corsas full stop. prob best advice regarding that matter.

clios, 106s, fiestas are better options, with the latter being probably the best choice for a first car. How much do you have to spend?

Soldato
OP
well im only really looking for a small engine based car around 1L engine, im not exactly brialliantly financed so i am on a buget and £1k would be too much for me to spend

Back
Top Bottom