Lightroom Beta 4

Just got an email today saying that its now ready for download.

Lightroom Beta 4 also features:
Groundbreaking changes in the way tone curve adjustments are made and displayed, giving you the highest quality results in an interface that's easier to use than ever before.
More streamlined and elegant user interface - We've made several changes to the look and feel based on your feedback in the earlier beta releases.
Customizable interface - You can now display only the controls you want to be visible.
Precision white balance selection tool
Facility to easily rename and convert files to DNG after they've been imported to the Lightroom library
Increased interaction between Lightroom library organizational structure and the underlying file system
Filter and search presets to more quickly find the photographs you want
Better performance and improved interface for the Web module features
Develop control improvements based on community feedback, including comments from the Pixmantec user community (welcome!)

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/?trackingid=KRTF

I can say with some confidence that this is looking impressive!! The curve tool is great!

Havent got time to play with it all day.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a very, very quick play last night. Seems quicker and more responsive on my MacBookPro setup.

Interesting to see that they released this, the day before the anticipated and then actual Aperture update announcement that happened yesterday.

Will try to have more of a play tonight.

Soldato
Given the fact that RSE doesn't adhere to the EXIF standard for JPEGs, I'm keen to find another RAW handler that's as good as RSE. Will have a play and find out :)

*edit: nope, it's not as fast, easy to use, or as functional as RSE. :(

Last edited:
Associate
just had a play myself and I have to say i'm very impressed. Very slick, easy to use etc. I hope they integrate this into the next version of photoshop...its far better than bridge imo

Associate
Is the Windows version any more efficient than the last couple of betas? That was the main problem with it for me, the UI bloat made it just about impossible to actually use.

Soldato
morgan said:
just had a play myself and I have to say i'm very impressed. Very slick, easy to use etc. I hope they integrate this into the next version of photoshop...its far better than bridge imo

Lightroom is going to be a stand alone application.

I haven't tried it yet but will give it a go tonight.

Soldato
I've been using Lightroom for about an hour now and it's awesome !!!
The speed, functionality and quality are all amazing.

Associate
just been using this for the last hour on some shots I took at a wedding yesterday. The results are fantastic. But its so slooooow on my pc compared to cs2 etc. I'm using a 1.8ghz sempron, 1.25gb ram. Laptop btw. its very frustrating. I'm going to try it tomorrow on my dell precision workstation tomorrow to see how much difference that makes.

Soldato
I had a quick play and tbh, i just cannot get to grips with the interface. I will be experimenting when I get a bit of free time, comparing the same image put through Lightroom, Aperture and RSP, but for my needs and ability I doubt ill see any differance.

Associate
I tried Lightroom a few versions back and hated the interface, and it doesn't seem to have changed much. It seems more powerful than RSE 2006 but I'm struggling to get to grips with the sheer number of options it presents at any one moment. Not only that, but it's incredibly laggy on this PC, Athlon 64 3700+ with 2GB RAM. :confused:

Soldato
Glad im not alone in disliking the interface. :D

Not having lag issues im trying it out on my Macpro 4x 2.66ghz with 4gb ram, which gives me the option of running it under XP or OSX, so far ive tried XP, perhaps the OSX interface is slightly differant, Ill try it under that later.

Associate
the lag does really bother me, as does the general speed. but it is beta tho...

the interface i do like (after a while of getting used to). One thing I cant fault is the results. For portraits/wedding stuff the control on tone/curves etc for a raw editor is miles ahead of anything else. I havent optimised my workflow yet and its taking me about 10 times longer than it would do in bridge but I think the results are worth it at the moment. When this is released I'll definately buy it.

Associate
i'll give this a go. I liked the interface and general idea of Lightroom and have used Beta 3. Unfortunatly after a couple of times of using it, it got REALLY slow and laggish, so had to give up. It was fine at fist though :confused:

So i'll give this ago and see if the speed has come back :)

Soldato
Flibster said:
Beta 4.1 now available....

Simon/~Flibster
Some info on the update

Lightroom 4.1 bug fixes:
Photoshop Lightroom beta 4.1 was posted on 10/19/2006 in order to resolve some issues with the original beta 4 build. The following bugs were fixed:
  • There was an issue where a user could not edit a metadata field after editing it for another picture which has been fixed.
  • The preview cache was using wrong relative path.
  • There were a couple fixes in the database update feature, fixing a few situations where the database would not update properly. Also, upgraded libraries would not always allow images to be moved between shoots.
  • There was an problem selecting an existing folder for web galleries. The web gallery would move all images previously in the folder to the trash silently. This has been fixed. All contents of directory where a web gallery is saved are sent to the trash with no warning. Also in web, large exported galleries will now have all the images expected.
  • The app had a couple unexpected failures canceling dialogs. Selecting cancel on the Enter Password dialog now reliably works, as does selecting cancel in Page Setup.
  • The shoot selection should no longer change unexpectedly.
  • The “Additional External Editor” preference and the “Edit in Photoshop” preference are now separate.
  • If you had mixed managed photos and by reference files, the paths of by reference files would be changed when changing the location of the managed folder.
  • Images exported with Constrain Pixels would produce the wrong result for portrait-oriented images .
  • There are some changes in the relationship between Luminance and Saturation.

Back
Top Bottom