Tesco-branded software

Associate
subxero said:
Tesco won't be coming anywhere near my computer, I wouldn't even bother trying it.
I agree. People who actually know what the coffee cup holder is for won't go near their software products.

But Tesco don't need knowledgeable people to buy their products. Look at mobile phones. Tesco sell more mobiles than anyone else. Why? Because Tesco customers disengage what few brain cells they have when queing at the checkout and they see a pretty phone and... the sale is done. It doesn't matter that payg is a rip-off and the product is totally unsuitable.

ChavWare by Tesco :rolleyes:

Soldato
KizZ said:
What's next? :rolleyes: :p

1uc5.jpg

Hehe, nice pic :p

Man of Honour
Celestial Caravan said:
It doesn't matter that payg is a rip-off and the product is totally unsuitable.

Can I just say that I've had my new phone since christmas and I've made two calls and wrote about three texts in all that time.
PAYG is certainly not a rip off for me.

Not all of us are fortunate to 'find' Microsoft Office at no cost or any other product at no cost. If Chavware does the job at a fraction of the cost then the customer is happy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
manveruppd said:
It's sad that marketting muscle and mainstream brand recognition will probably win out over product quality 9 times out of 10... Then again this is the case even within the technophile community, as shown by the amount of people on here who still use Norton AV:p

I've been into PC's since the 286 days and I consider myself to be quite computer savvy. SPIE will confess that I'm in his shop every week buying parts for new machines. This last year because of advise off these forums I've experimented with other anti-virus software such as NOD and Zone Alarm (crap) and I've gone back to recommending Norton AV because I've NEVER had a problem on any machine I've built since the day it came out.

jdickerson said:
EDIT - MY EYES MY FREAKING EYES.... Install it... you know you wanna! It looks like it is coded in delphi. Yuck

OMG :eek:
No way will I use a program coded in Delphi - what would my neighbours say?
I might be able to write letters and spreadsheets but what if anybody found out, I just couldn't live with myself.
I think I'll go the car boot instead because theres a nice man selling a legal copy of Office XP for a fiver.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As mentioned above, Formjet wrote Ability Office which is a very capable bit of kit and certainly good enough to act as a replacement for Office in a home environment. After all Tesco don't make anything, they just use their brand to sell others' products.

That said, would I use it - absolutely not.
:D

Soldato
gonna get flamed here but- just because computers and parts is something a lot of you know about does'nt give you the right to jump on the rest of the population who are'nt as savvy in this area, i mean how many of you shop for DIY products at B&Q which in my eyes is just the equivalent of the big computer superstore you all know.

to give an example, i went there with the girlfriend to buy a door and ended up going through a stack of 40 doors trying to find one good door and they were all what i would class as rejects being a joiner by trade whereas someone without my knowledge would have just bought the first one.

my point is everyone knows a lot about some kind of industry but will get ripped off in others.

Man of Honour
darreny said:
i mean how many of you shop for DIY products at B&Q which in my eyes is just the equivalent of the big computer superstore you all know.

Excellent analogy.
I have the same problems with people buying guitars from Argos and PA amps and speakers from the 'holiday' high street shop.

At the end of the day most people don't know about John who can get you a copy of XP Office for a fiver and only know the prices they see in perhaps OCUK's pages or similar. If a nice box with several useful programs is selling for £20 then I know what I'd buy if I had no choice (even if it is wrote in Delphi).

Back
Top Bottom