Converting VHS-C to DVD

Associate
I have about 15 compact VHS tapes (VHS-C) from an old camcorder I want to convert to DVD. However, I don't have a DVD recorder and therefore I am trying to figure out how to convert them using my computer.

In terms of what my computer and the camera have...

The camcorder has an s-video out.
My pc has sound card, video card and a tv card.

What extra cables/hardware/software will I need to convert these tapes to DVD?

Thanks
Andy

Soldato
You'll need a capture card or device (USB) and software. The capture device will probably come with some cut down software that will do the job, but be lacking in some editing and effects functions. Bear in mind that an actual standalone DVD recorder could probably be purchased for less than £100, but again there would be no editing or effects available using a DVD recorder.

Soldato
Sorry, missed the bit about you having a TV card.
If your TV card has an s-video input, then it should be able to capture it.
I can't recommend any, as I'm all digital for my video editing.

For software, if you want to edit and add effects than Pinnacle Studio is good VFM. Adobe Premiere is the choice of professionals and serious enthusiasts. Nero and I suspect most other DVD burning programs will also be able to make a DVD, but they'll have little or no editing facilites.

Associate
I've done quite a bit of editing work with tapes from video including V2000 and camcorder tapes .I use firewire to capture direct from my cam with Pinnacle 9 as capture software , really good with no dropped frames.For the other tapes I use a TV capture card [have two in separate PC's ,Jetway & Mercury] were only £29 each and do a good job. Remember , your VHS-C tapes fit into a adapter the same size as a standard VHS tape [that's what I use] ,so will play straight from your Video player . Link your player by scart to phono's , yellow to the TV card , audio to the sound card and capture . I've put my old vhs-c tapes onto DVD using this method and there not bad considering the quality of the camcorders in those days , nothing compared to miniDV though. You will need lots of disk space and an editor .Using Pinnacle you can do a composite capture to avi or mpeg , mpeg takes up less space. You, can get a separate capture device that will link your video to PC either by Firewire or USB2 , but they cost more .HTH.

Associate
OP
Would there be any difference between connecting from the tape player to my computer or from connecting the camera to my computer?

Associate
I would think connecting the camera the the PC would give the best quality ,the quality from the vid recorder would depend on the video . I use a Sharp 6 head model for output to PC.

Back
Top Bottom