• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to buy nvidia?????

Associate
Rumors were flying today around Wall Street trading desks of a pending Intel buyout of NVIDIA, which helped the graphics company to a hefty raise in shares, but didn't do much to validate the whisperings that have been going around ever since AMD snapped up ATI in July. The word was the deal is supposed to go down tonight, so we'll keep an eye out for sure, but we're not holding our breath. There are reasons aplenty for Intel to stay away from NVIDIA, including a hefty asking price -- about three times that of ATI -- and of course the fact that Intel already has some rather successful integrated graphics thank you very much, so the key reasoning behind the AMD / ATI deal just isn't present here. All the same, it'd be pretty badass to have the two biggest CPU processor manufacturers duking it out with the two biggest GPU manufacturers under their respective wings, so we've got our fingers crossed for some gauntlet throwdown tonight.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/04/nvidia-shares-riding-high-on-fresh-acquisition-rumors/

Soldato
deadeyedic30 said:
Buying NVidia would cost a serious amount of money, a lot more than ATI.
Probably double I reckon, not to mention the fact that Intel already make integrated graphics components whereas AMD didn't - so there's a conflict of interests there. Buying ATI meant AMD were able to dip its feet into markets it wasn't even involved with, the same can't be said of Intel.

Associate
I can't remember where I read this (it could have been on the inq) but there was a comment made that the CEO of NVidia is bit of a control freak and would want to be at the top of the new company.

Does Intel really need Nvidia? Intel have been hiring graphic chip people and have signed a contract with the guys behind the PowerVR tech, what would Nvidia bring to the tea party??

Seems a daft thing to do but with the recent emergers or buyouts who knows ;)

Just found this for a little background info: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33298

Last edited:
Soldato
Durzel said:
Probably double I reckon, not to mention the fact that Intel already make integrated graphics components whereas AMD didn't - so there's a conflict of interests there. Buying ATI meant AMD were able to dip its feet into markets it wasn't even involved with, the same can't be said of Intel.

Not double, tripple;

Intel to stay away from NVIDIA, including a hefty asking price -- about three times that of ATI
;)

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

I'm not sure if that would go ahead probably just rumors because of the market I'm sure they would not be allowed to as Microsoft own a lot of the market already. They are huggggggggge!

Soldato
Doubt Intel will go for it, they're more into controlling the market on their own. They have free access to 3DNow due to cross-licensing on x86, however, they have never utilised it.

Even if NV is worth 3x as much as ATI (and to think ATI used to have 80% of the market over a decade a go before NV TNT2), it would steal be feasible for Intel to buy them. AMD are microscopic compared to Intel.

Soldato
intel buy nvidia...whose been smoking pot, nvidia are enormous compaired to ATI, intel can't just go and buy them, just because AMD bought ATI people think intel are immediately gonna panic and buy nvidia, not sure if intel could spare the cash to do so or whether they'd want to, nvidia doing well by themselves so why then need intels oppressive hand ruling them?

Associate
I think if intel decided it wanted to it could buy out Nvidia but lets just think what a company that already owns nearly 60% of the graphics market would want with Nvidia? conflict of interrests there, the company would end up competing with itself

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I don't think people realise the size of Intel. They could easily buy nVidia, either through a straight cash deal or through a share exchange.

But the monopolies commission in the US would never allow it to happen due to Intel already making more graphics chips than anyone else.

Associate
Intel have been laying o lot of people off, but recruiting experts in graphics! Maybe they have reached a decision to buy as opposed to build the capability in house...which would also cost a lot of cash, and then how would they compete... with Nvidia and AMD/ATI..

The AMD/ATI deal may have swing Intel decision in favor of a buy...

Associate
UPDATE: Adding background details.

Reuters news-agency has reported that Intel Corp. may acquire graphics chip designer Nvidia Corp. The announcement may be made in less than 24 hours from now, it is claimed. Sources of the unofficial information could not be determined.

“There is speculation that Intel will make an acquisition announcement tonight,” said Bill Lefkowitz, options strategist at brokerage firm vFinance Investments in New York.

Terms of the possible deal are unclear. Nvidia’s market capitalization is currently nearly $11 billion, which means that the company may be sold for $14 – $15 billion, whereas Intel Corp. only has $7.64 billion in cash currently.

Rumours about possibility of Nvidia acquisition by Intel Corp. have been circuilating since July, when Nvidia rival ATI Technologies announced take over by Advanced Micro Devices, the arch-rival of Intel, for $5.4 billion.

Neither Intel Corp., nor Nvidia Corp. commented on the news-story.

Soldato
don't get all this bull crap monoploy commission stuff, if a company has the money to buy another company out, and the company being bought out wants to be bought out then they shoudl allow the deal to go through and not interfere with it.

its just stupid i say. its not like they are being held at gun point and told to sign over the company papers and hand all assets over :rolleyes:

this is just stupid.

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
don't get all this bull crap monoploy commission stuff, if a company has the money to buy another company out, and the company being bought out wants to be bought out then they shoudl allow the deal to go through and not interfere with it.

its just stupid i say. its not like they are being held at gun point and told to sign over the company papers and hand all assets over :rolleyes:

this is just stupid.

:eek:

Allow me to put that into context by use of a hypothetical example. Intel want to buy AMD, and God forbid, AMD agrees to it. You say the deal should go through and that the Competition Commission should not interfere? Whose side are you on, theirs or ours? :p

Basically, I think you're missing the point. It's not about holding the company at gun point to sign the papers, rather, it's about the wider implications that the merger would have on the public. It's always in the interests of the public to have more choice rather than less. This is one of the reasons why monopolies are discouraged i.e. to prevent the public from being 'exploited'. Would you like the prospect of having to obey a tyrant company because you have no alternative? I think not. So really, it's not 'stupid' at all. :)

Of course in this case it's not a monopoly because Intel do not have 100% control over the market, but who knows what the future holds.

Back
Top Bottom