Dell 2405/2407/2007 and banding

Associate
Hi,

I am still confused at which monitor to go for to replace my ageing CRT. I think I will go for DELL as I can see good reviews about them. But I am not sure which one to go for as I am mainly going to play games (hardcore gamer) and movies as well. One particular issue I am worried about is the 'banding' issue I can see in some reviews. How prominent is it when playing games/movies ?

Cheers

Associate
best thing to do would be to go look at it yourself...some people dont notice anything and others do...then you get the fanboys who ignore all faults and promote it as much as possible...go check one out

Associate
I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP.

I havent noticed any banding and I think that was a problem on the older revision monitors and has been fixed with revision A02.

I went from a Samsung 19" CRT and the difference is amazing..No ghosting, nice bright colours. The only thing I do notice is tearing in some FPS games but that can be fixed by turning on vertical sync.

Dan

Mud

Mud

Soldato
It is only the XX07's that band, and of those not all do (at least appreciably). The XX05's have their own set of issues (2405 has ~50ms lag and the 2005 has a significant amount of screens with backlight bleed). None of these problems are as serious as they sound and are well documented because the screens are so popular.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the assurance guys - looks like there is a 2407 in my future (unless someone posts here soon I am going to put me monitor on fleabay and pray that it sells for about 25 notes - its a Mitsubishi Diamondtron Pro 750SB 17"")

Associate
I've had a 2407 for about a month now. It's astounding. With the offer on This Week Only I'd buy another one if I wasn't about to move house and need to pay solicitors and such. It rocks... do it :)

abc

Associate
hedgey said:
2407 isnt HD compatible.it wont play 1080i/p. benq one does for a bit more money. its a no brainer really.

I'll give you that the 2407WFP has problems displaying 1080i over component (though it WILL do this) and that it won't display 1080i over VGA/DVI (which I believe the 2405fpw won't either), but there's no proof of it not supporting 1080P. There's a discussion about it having a particular problem with a BluRay player over DVI/HDMI, but that's down to the player, not the screen.

Whether it will support 1080P AND HDCP, is another issue, and that's still not be answered... I'm waiting to see the results of running a PS3 on one of these puppies, as either way it's not as if gaming requires HDCP (and the 2407WFP is very capable of displaying 1080P sourced from my PC).

Associate
I'm no expert, but I'd wonder why anyone'd bother running an interlace display on a high-res monitor... surely it's just a fudge for low res displays? Maybe I'm still in Amiga mode (well I'm fairly old :)

For PC use though, I'd just say "get one" if you can afford it. Oh, and a coder friend of mine has a PS3 on his desk at work, and from what he's said I'd prolly recommend getting one of those too, in spite of all the negative press at the moment. So many toys, so little money...

abc

Man of Honour
as said already (but just to clarify further), the 2405FPW was never really plagued with any issues with "colour banding" across gradients. This was something which was noticed in the 2xx7WFP range. Have a look here about the issue, but it has all but been eliminated in the latest revisions of the screens (A02 on the 2007WFP and A02/A03 on the 2407WFP). Regardless of which version you had, i doubt very much you'd see any adverse affects of this in gaming or movies, and you'd probably have to be looking at colour gradients to notice it in real practice. I've tested an A00 revision of the 207WFP for instance and in real use the banding was not a problem

Back
Top Bottom