Would you buy this?

Suspended
My mate has a Dell Dimension 4400 with 15" flatscreen that he's offered me for £250

40gb hd
768 memory
xp home

not really sure about the spec but i just thought dell pcs come with standard stuff

is it worth it?

Man of Honour
Probably not, the OS is/was worth about £50 but the rest isn't that great from what I can tell having looked up the specifications. It is a P4 based machine, slow memory, not a large hard drive and it uses AGP 4x graphics. I'd even consider a laptop ahead of it as I managed to pick up one with better specifications for about that sort of price range(albeit with very limited upgradability).

Associate
It's the way technology advances. My last machine cost around £1000 to build, its just over 2.5 years old and obsolete. I would have likely got more selling the components than selling the complete PC. The memory alone cost me £190, yet I expected no more than £300 for the whole PC. I used it to upgrade my missus from a PIII 600.

New, better and more usefully upgradeable machines than the Dimension 4400 are available for not much more than £250.

Associate
it might be an oem copy of xp so it wouldn't be worth the 50 either.
the motherboard won't be standard, (dell specific power supply, and xtra connector on mb). the case won't fit a standard mb ( unless it's different from all the others I've met) so even to break it for spare parts you are limited.
Mind you, if all you do is email and surf why not?

turbotoes

Suspended
OP
turbotoes said:

turbotoes

yeh, thats what itwould mainly be used for. ill give it a miss anyway, thought about re-selling it too

cheers for comments

Man of Honour
To be honest the second hand market is absolutely SUPERB for anyone looking to pickup a slightly dated, run-of-the-mill machine for general windows work (i.e. not most of the people on this forum!).

I mean the way prices are on older kit, you can get something like a complete ~2ghz/512meg/gf4/60gig/dvd-rw system well cheap, maybe something around the £150 mark?

OK so that's not exactly going to be blisteringly quick, but when you bear in mind that you can barely get a midrange graphics card for that kind of money, that's a pretty good deal for a full PC which would be perfectly adequate for a lot of people.

It's not like the old days, when buying something a few years out of date meant you'd be running low on RAM, constantly paging to a tiny HD barely big enough for windows and a few apps, with no sound/network or burning capabilities.

Associate
turbotoes said:
it might be an oem copy of xp so it wouldn't be worth the 50 either.
the motherboard won't be standard, (dell specific power supply, and xtra connector on mb). the case won't fit a standard mb ( unless it's different from all the others I've met) so even to break it for spare parts you are limited.

turbotoes

Never had a problem with MS re-activating an OEM copy on a different machine so that shouldn't affect the value, as long as you answer their questions how you want them to they'll give you a code.

Back
Top Bottom