£5k budget what car?

Associate
Hi guys,

My current car is a 2001 1.25 fiesta freestyle with FSH and 42k on the clock. I've owned it for 18 months now and fancy a change. I'm currently looking around for a replacement but I'm having trouble deciding on a specific car, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I'm almost 25 (Nov) with 2yrs no claims and live in a good postcode so insurance shouldn't be too bad. (currently £460 fully comp).

so I've been looking down the sensible route of a 1.8/2.0 focus but wanted you guys input on alternatives particulary on the not so sensible cars!

so 5k to play and nothing too old say 98 onwards

Soldato
Shall we have a "recommend our own cars" thread?

In which case, a 106 GTi would serve nicely....

As for the not-so-sensible recommendations:

Mitsubishi FTO/GTO
Toyota MR2
Scooby/Evo
BMW 328i (or similar)

There's lots of pretty capable, pretty fast cars out there for £5k or so.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
What do you want from a car?

Handling
Manoeuvrability
Straight line speed
Economy
Image or lack thereof (Focus/Mondeo etc)
Practicality - interior + boot space?

For £5k of my own money factoring in insurance and running costs I'd probably buy a petrol (probably V6) Mk3 Mondeo or maybe a very late Omega MV6 but that's me and my requirements might be totally different to yours :).

Associate
timbob said:
Shall we have a "recommend our own cars" thread?

Bit silly to recommend something you didnt rate yourself. I often deliberately avoid mentioning my own car.

As to your suggestions, bar the beemer they are rubbish as for 2 of them they wont fall into the age restriction and the 3rd he'll likely balk at the insurance... as did I when I was looking at this type of car on exactly the same budget 2 years ago.

Soldato
Trickle said:
Bit silly to recommend something you didnt rate yourself. I often deliberately avoid mentioning my own car.

As to your suggestions, bar the beemer they are rubbish as for 2 of them they wont fall into the age restriction and the 3rd he'll likely balk at the insurance... as did I when I was looking at this type of car on exactly the same budget 2 years ago.

FTO - My GF's just bought a 97 plate FTO, fantastic car. Only a year out, and insurance shouldn't be too bad at 25. FTOs are very expensive to insure though.

MR2 - Again, I've seen R, S and T plate rev3 MR2s about for sensible money. When I was looking at changing cars and trying out lots of options, I could insure modded MR2s and 200SXs for under £800 fully comp - at 22 years old.

Scooby/Evo - Plenty around for the age and price. Again, insurance won't be too expensive at 25. Insurers seem to think a 25 year old with only a couple of years experience is less of a risk than a 23 year old with 5 years experience for some reason - so the OP should be ok on the insurance front.

Associate
OP
Adz said:
What do you want from a car?

Handling
Manoeuvrability
Straight line speed
Economy
Image or lack thereof (Focus/Mondeo etc)
Practicality - interior + boot space?
QUOTE]

What do I want from a car? To be honest I'm not too sure, coming from a 1.25 fiesta more or less everything will be a massive difference. I guess I'm looking for a decent upgrade - faster, same handling etc but not stupidly fast i.e kicking the **** out of the insurance.

I do ~ 8k miles a year so economy is not overly important, practicality - if the car fits me and one other person in it thats enough. Finally image, not overly bothered but I'm not ready for the pipe and slippers yet.

Man of Honour
timbob said:
FTO - My GF's just bought a 97 plate FTO, fantastic car. Only a year out, and insurance shouldn't be too bad at 25. FTOs are very expensive to insure though.

Exceptionally rare on anything other than a 95M plate.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Sounds like a 2.0l Focus would be a good suggestion. You could also look at an Astra SRI. Both relatively mundane cars therefore cheap insurance but decent handling, strong engines and good running costs :).

Adz

Adz

Soldato
rgzcampbell said:
There is a few Seat Leon 20V T cupra's in my price range what's the general consensus?

Basically a Golf. Decent engine, reliable but the handling is a little numb. Big upgrade from a 1.25 Fiesta though!

Soldato
rgzcampbell said:
What do I want from a car? To be honest I'm not too sure, coming from a 1.25 fiesta more or less everything will be a massive difference. I guess I'm looking for a decent upgrade - faster, same handling etc but not stupidly fast i.e kicking the **** out of the insurance.

I do ~ 8k miles a year so economy is not overly important, practicality - if the car fits me and one other person in it thats enough. Finally image, not overly bothered but I'm not ready for the pipe and slippers yet.

A Clio 172 sounds like it ticks all the right boxes - quick, great handling, and reasonable insurance (IG16). At £5k, you'll get the choice of a 2000/2001 phase 1:

media

or a 2001/2002 phase 2:

media

Back
Top Bottom