• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ALL READ - Zero Tolerance Policy - Any more blatant rule breaking = BAN !!

Soldato
Mekrel said:
As for "It's the attitude that I don't like, not the rule" kodswallop, simply - they pay for the forums, their rules, their attitude. If people didn't like it as much as they say, then why are they not leaving the forums? Grow some round things between your legs instead of posting about not liking it. (Not directed to you Matt100 by the way, just the generic few who seem to have so much of a problem).

Surely the real problem isn't a lack of balls, it's a lack of a decent alternative. I come here for a bit of help, a bit of education, to show off a bit and for a bit of a laugh (this is only a only 4 bit forum). There are some very clued up people on these boards - Easyrider and a few others essentially kept us all up to date on what a Core2Duo was going to be like. Smids is the man if you've a hard drive issue and Yewen can always be counted on to recommend the correct Lian-li for any given situation ;) .

But there is also a lot of carp posted that could very easily be answered by either searching the forums or indeed, by using Google.

And much of the 'discussion' on the GD forum is just excrement. I'm here for the hardware, and I'd be a liar is I said I hadn't recommended that someone google on a particular search string that took them to a store elsewhere where they could source an exotic piece of hardware that OcUK don't stock.

I'm all for obeying rules, but you should be able to question and challenge rules, as they are not necessarily all good, all the time.

Associate
Just wondered why this is in the Graphics Card section.

Surely more people would read the thread and know about it if it were in all/more sensible sub forum(s) and stickied as well?:confused:

Associate
Not sure if this can be done, or if it is already done. How about adding competitor urls/names to the swear filter? And insta ban those that try and get around the filter? Might cut down on the admin load :)

Richie.

Associate
I don`t get the issue really, I mean if you don`t like the forum rules then you know where to go don`t you? Why complain about it? Its not like your real life revolves around a forum, if it does, then that would be rather sad, you should get out more.

I always go with OCuk first as they normally are the cheapest with most parts and its not worth the additional cost of shipping to 'save' money elsewhere, however I do go to other e-tailers if OCuk don't have what I need. If I spotted something cheaper elsewhere theres not much point in mentioning it to someone here because if they don`t have the brains to shop around then its their own dumb fault :rolleyes:

Associate
Come on guys, lets stop the fussing and a fighting. Behave yourselves and do as your told.

There are people out there posting, right now, who need you! These people rely on you, your exertise, your advice and, most of all, your love. Don't neglect them by wpending your time in circular discussions.

Now go, go and help the needy any way you can! *

:D :D :D

(* terms and conditions apply)

Soldato
matt100 said:
I know what you're saying but my point is the FAQ exist, I've been around here long enough to see plenty of people being told not to mention competitors, clearly I understand the rule myself but I'd bet the majority of rule breakers are new members.

They won't read the FAQ, they won't read this thread, they won't obey the rules and frankly they probably won't be that bothered if they get in bother.

I've served my time in environments where you're tempted to make little signs saying "don't eat this its mine" or "please fill the printer if you empty it" and other narky little things like that and I think this smacks of a similar attitude.

To be honest if ocuk can't handle the rule breaking with their admins and have to resort to pointless threads like this (and look at the people posting replies, on the whole we're all long term members who know full well what the rules are (except cyber-mav lol)) then perhaps its time to question the whole forum. I frequently empty my pockets in the direction of lots of online IT retailers (am I allowed to acknowledge there are others?) most of which don't have forums and don't employ fridge style "this is my butter" post it note posts to try and defend what I thought was a pretty healthy business.

It's not really a pointless thread though, would you not think it was even harsher that this thread was not made as a pre warning - and they just started banning people because they had made the decision and not let people know.

Of course you are allowed to say that you shop elsewhere, I do - I buy cheapest when possible as long as that doesn't mean sacrificing customer service. You just have to stop from mentioning their name, hinting at their name and the price. It's your buy, and as said - people with a couple of brain cells should be able to search themselves.

Keep going and you WILL be an underboss some day!

Listen mate, what is it to you if people have posted in this thread saying, not rudely I might add, that they have a problem with some of the things around here. All you're doing to be frank is making a bit of a prat of yourself arguing like a broken record against people simply stating their opinon in a reasonable way. Just let it go and stop trying to play the big man by spouting non-nonsensical, pseudo-macho lines like: "Grow some round things between your legs instead of posting about not liking it" (though I have no idea how posting an opinion on a board that frown upon it constitutes a lack of balls, quite the opposite in fact). No-one's impressed.

The mods here are very very strict, but I'm sure they're not complete nazis. If they have a problem with what's been said then let them post and say so, they don't need you to act the busy-body I'm sure they're quite capable of fighting their own battles (indeed we know they are).

I don't wish to be a mod, or underboss or anything other than to post help around here, which I do a lot. I also post here asking for help - I hardly go into the Life section of the forum.

The forum is great for that reason alone, I can't see why people feel they should, or have the right to posting competitor information. If that thing floats your boat then why not post on a forum that does allow it?

No one here would own a shop, and allow someone to stand at the door, deterring custom to a competitor for XYZ reasons. Ok, this isn't technically the shop as the rules keep it separate for reasons already explained, but it is funded by the shop and it doesn't matter how much it costs - it's the principle.

I'm also not trying to impress anyone, I'm doing like you - basically posting my opinion. The rule has been in place since the beginning of the forum, so why is it going to be changed now?

If anyone is trying to impress anyone, it would be you with the first personal attack of the thread directed straight at me, implying I wish to be more than a member.

So if this rule does indeed stay, and is actioned. What are you lot who do not like it, going to do? Stay? (If so then why are you arguing about it.)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mekrel said:
If anyone is trying to impress anyone, it would be you with the first personal attack of the thread directed straight at me, implying I wish to be more than a member.

So if this rule does indeed stay, and is actioned. What are you lot who do not like it, going to do? Stay? (If so then why are you arguing about it.)

Goodness grief man... get a grip. Seriously. I can only imagine what you're like out of the forums, an asolute scream I bet. "You personally attacked me by implying I wish to be more than a member". You get a big lol for that one.

People are voicing their opinions and they have every right to as long as it's done reasonably with no cussing or malice or bad-mouthing. Stop trying to police the forum, that's not your job. I'm not 'anti-OCUK' and I don't think any others are in this thread. They had an opinion and they spoke it, just because it's not a positive opinion doesn't make them any less valid and I certainly have no idea why you're making such a ridiculous fuss about it. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
WOW what a post this is, richdog! well said. after all we live in the UK and as such are blessed with the freedom to speak freely! positive or negitive.

I have been a member on these forums for quite some time. I have purchased a lot of hardware in said time for myself and others.
I dont post in everythread as my post count shows. plus over the years i have recomended OCUK so many times to others who never knew OCUK exsisted!
and these people will never use these forums as they are not intrested in what where when ect they just want it to work! I dont post how many people i have
recomended or how much they spent on my recomendation as i feel it wouldnt be intresting to anyone on the forums. yet mention a competitor and your banned!

I wonder how much income OCUK have recived through recomendations not only on this forum but by word of mouth or other forums. I dont see any complaints
about this side of coin. as much as i like reading the info and supporting a UK based company the items and info can be found elsewhere if you look.

Rules are rules but the way they can be inforced could be delt with in a fair manner, not in a dictatership enforced Zero Tolerance Policy!
There might well be many rule breakers, but not everyone deserves to be treated in the same way. just my opinion!

Soldato
Some of you seem to be confused and believe that this forum is a democracy.

When it comes to internet forums the administrators and their staff are the be all and end all of what is and isn't acceptable, free-speech does not apply here.

Associate
surely an opinion is entitled to be made from your own free thoughts! with no infulence from anyone else period, as long as its constructive and dosnt contain blatent swearing to gain effect.

rules are rules but control is another thing!

Suspended
It comes down to greed, pure and simple. OC UK MD wants a bigger slice of the pie. It's up to you if you wish to deal with people like that, but I've found that companies with this sort of attitude suffer terrible after sales service. I've yet to have a bad experience with OC UK, but once that happens..

Go into a Hi-Fi shop and chat, they will usually give out a few other Hi-Fi if you ask about products - they're not in denial shops names, they don't boot you out of the door if you talk to another customer saying "I bought something at xxx shop" If you want to buy from them, you will.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Goodness grief man... get a grip. Seriously. I can only imagine what you're like out of the forums, an absolute scream I bet. "You personally attacked me by implying I wish to be more than a member". You get a big lol for that one.

People are voicing their opinions and they have every right to as long as it's done reasonably with no cussing or malice or bad-mouthing. Stop trying to police the forum, that's not your job. I'm not 'anti-OCUK' and I don't think any others are in this thread. They had an opinion and they spoke it, just because it's not a positive opinion doesn't make them any less valid and I certainly have no idea why you're making such a ridiculous fuss about it. :confused:

I'm not trying to police the forums Richdog, I'm simply reiterating the fact that no one here has the right to argue about the rules. I can't remember the last time I even used the RTM button, and I have not done so in this thread, or emailed a don about anyone. You don't know me outside of the forums, so don't even contemplate on thinking what I am like. See, what is it with members like you who now have to drag this into a personal life thing?

Yes, people are voicing their opinions, and I'm one of those people and in case you have not summarized what that opinion is, it is that people do not have the right to complain, as stated above - it isn't a democracy. I never once implied you are "anti-OcUK" no where in my post does it say that about you or anyone.

I have no idea why people like you, and others who feel that OcUK are making a fuss about the rule. It's been here since the start of the forums for crying out loud, just because it is being emphasized again, people start trying to act like sparticus'.

I simply saw this thread and read it, and only decided to reply when someone believed that they should be able to mention competitors. How people can even think that it is right to, I do not know. The forum is a public image, if you really wish OcUK to price match - and in fact even care enough for them to do so, you would email them being as very few staff actually read the forums. So that point brought up is ridiculous for that reason.

I agree with you about the phone call though, if you were indeed treated that way, then that is wrong and if I were in your shoes I would be voicing a complaint to someone who could do something about it.

I'm not pro-OcUK, I just enjoy the forums for what they are and have never once felt restricted by the rules.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mekrel said:
I have no idea why people like you, and others who feel that OcUK are making a fuss about the rule.

The rule doesn't really bother m tbh, I was only defending others right to criticise.

Anyway sorry if I offended, the thread is getting a bit out of hand now.

Rich.

Soldato
Richdog said:
The rule doesn't really bother m tbh, I was only defending others right to criticise.

Anyway sorry if I offended, the thread is getting a bit out of hand now.

Rich.

No problem, and yes - I agree.

I would hold the same opinion as others here if this was the first time it was brought up, but I remember Marshy's thread not too long ago about it.

The only time I can possibly think it would be a tad unfair is to a new person who hasn't read the FAQ during sign up, even though they should and I admit that I never, and was suspended for breaking signature rules :D

I wouldn't want to see a lot of members here get banned, there are some good posters here with some great info. Mistadave, yourself, Jokester, weescott to name a select 2% if that.

Soldato
I think in some ways the forum does distort the market in OcUKs favour. There's a lot of very useful information about hardware that's available here (provided by the members (for free), not by OcUK or it's staff). A lof of people will google and end up here. It might be recommendations they're after, technical help, or whatever, and they end up getting OcUK products recommended at OcUK prices because the rules don't allow otherwise. It could be viewed as anti-competitive. And yes sadly there are many many noobs out there who are too clueless to find the best prices. People here would like to be able to help them but can't.

I think OcUK should be a bit more open and honest about what the forums are here for - generating sales. Yet they talk like they're providing a public service. It's not clear when you join that the forums are basically a marketting tool. I've read posts from people here who didn't even realize OcUK were a retailer, they thought it was a general forum for 'overclockers'.

I can see that posting direct links to competitors is too much, or using their names, but I think it should be ok to say 'have a look at product X you can pick it up for around £xx'. I also think the banning of mentioning auction sites is rather bizarre. Like there's anyone who hasn't heard of them.

Back
Top Bottom