Canon 400D or 30D ?

Associate
HI guys,

I need some guidance on whether to go for a canon 400D (brand new for £481 delivered) or I can go for the 30D on canon outlet. I've got the Canon 300d atm, and i've got a few lenses that I want to keep. Would they still be useable with any of the new cameras ?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 300D about the same size as the 30D, ie a lot bigger than the 400D. I think the 300D & 30D take the same battery too so any spares you have would still be useful.

Associate
rpstewart you are correct....

300D : 142 x 99 x 73 mm
400D : 127 x 94 x 65 mm
30D : 144 x 106 x 74 mm

The 30D would be my choice - higher fps, better ISO options and larger physical size.

Is the Canon outlet shop still trading? I thought I read something about them shutting down?

Last edited:
Soldato
rpstewart said:
I think the 300D & 30D take the same battery too so any spares you have would still be useful.
The 30D is not compatible with the 300D grip, even the 10D isn't

Soldato
Can i just ask why you want to change? Is there something your 300D can't do? as this allows us to better help which camera is best suited to you :)

Soldato
I went from a 300D to a 30D and would NEVER go back.

The build quality difference is startling, and the 300 is hardly cheaply built.
The speed of every function seems like lightning compared to the 300. Broswing through images and previewing after taking a shot is instant. It aint on the 300.
The Jog wheel makes tweaking settings and checking through shots easier too.

Thats before we get to the handling of the thing. It feels fantastic to hold.

The 5FPS aint half bad. I can also shoot 12 back to back raw images without the thing stopping for a breath.

Then there is the screen. Its pretty whopping, bright and crisp, but still cannot be used to accurately guage the shot (can they ever? - not until they are the size of a laptop :D ).

There is a lot more between them, so youll have to read up, but i wouldnt hesitate to get the 30. Its fantastic.

Associate
the 5FPS thingy for Jpeg or Raw included? I havn't tested with Jpeg but Raw felt little below 5FPS, maybe 3.5FPS.

I can't be bothered to take the camera out to test :p

Soldato
Raw will go at 5fps too. For the record, there are TWO high speed shooting modes. You may have been in 3fps mode. When there is a "H" next to the mode its in high speed!

Associate
OP
Matt said:
Can i just ask why you want to change? Is there something your 300D can't do? as this allows us to better help which camera is best suited to you :)

It's just that the camera (300d) is a bit old now and I did buy it second hand - I am also going on a hiatus/travelling around the world for a few months so I need good quality pictures/and a rugged camera - sure the 300d is good but since this is a life time experience I want an excellent piece of kit to keep these memories.

And yes the canon outlet shop is still trading

Associate
Rich said:
Raw will go at 5fps too. For the record, there are TWO high speed shooting modes. You may have been in 3fps mode. When there is a "H" next to the mode its in high speed!

I see, i was shooting without the H. :D

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

neo_x said:
It's just that the camera (300d) is a bit old now and I did buy it second hand - I am also going on a hiatus/travelling around the world for a few months so I need good quality pictures/and a rugged camera - sure the 300d is good but since this is a life time experience I want an excellent piece of kit to keep these memories.

And yes the canon outlet shop is still trading

Now you see if it was me I'd not be wanting to take a brand new camera round the world on travels. For the shots you will be taking a 300 would be fine and the money you save could go towards travel costs or even a lens for the trip?

Soldato
i upgraded from the 350D to the 30D but only because i have a couple of decent lenses that warranted the upgrade.

Unless you already have some L glass i would keep the 300D and buy some befire upgrading

Associate
OP
I see - so by the looks of it I should just invest in some good lenses (i've only got that standard kit lens and competitor (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II)

What other lenses would you recommend for portraits and wide angle stuff ?

Soldato
Wide angle = Tokina 12-24
The 50 should be fine for portraiture.

If you are travelling, and got the 300 Second hand, try and find out how much action it has seen. Last thing you want is the Shutter assembly croaking half way through your trip.

Soldato
I didn't see the part about travelling. If i were in your shoes i'd buy the Tokina (or the Canon 10-22) and a decent zoom - the 24-105 L is the one i use and it's superb but i don't know what your budget is.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you're after ruggedness, then an old 1D would do the trick and not cost much more than a 30D. Whilst it might not have as many pixels to impress your friends, it does have awesome AF, weatherproofing, 21 frame buffer at 8FPS and all the other lovely bits that a 1 series brings to the party. Of course it does suffer from shorter battery life (around 300 shots/charge) and weighs a not inconsiderable amount more, but that's life.

Back
Top Bottom