PS3 next to a PS2

Associate
Domo said:
I posted a link to this pic some time ago - some pics I've seen don't seem to correspond with the sizes described here though!
uppp37602.jpg

Good god, the original Xbox is ugly :p, and the 360 is surprisingly big, but the design is quite subtle compared to the originals overtness, the original was making a big ugly statement, and I never liked green anyway.

Going from that picture the PS3 doesn't look too bad from the front, but from the top down view it's big, but the sleek layer of gloss makes it look quite sexy. Of course looks shouldn't really be a deciding factor in which console to get. ;)

As it stands nothing on the 360 or PS3 interests me, the Wii however has a lot of potential. :)

Associate
XPE said:
What about Dead rising to go with it ?

That is a possibility, lots of people seem to like it, but how does it play, does it ever feel that the good ol' keyboard and mouse would make more sense?
I'll probably end up bringing a 360 home with me tomorrow, even though it'll cost me half my months earnings, or more, once I've bought games and accessories!

XPE

XPE

Soldato
LadFromWales85 said:
That is a possibility, lots of people seem to like it, but how does it play, does it ever feel that the good ol' keyboard and mouse would make more sense?
I'll probably end up bringing a 360 home with me tomorrow, even though it'll cost me half my months earnings, or more, once I've bought games and accessories!

No console on the market plays as good as a keyboard and mouse imo.

But that said the game does control really well.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
LadFromWales85 said:
I'm going to be running it through my 2405...I borrowed a mates 360 when he first got it last year, and the jaggies were awful! Is this still a case with newer games?

On a whole no, but if people insist on sitting 4' from a 50" TV then I've sure they'll experience jaggies.

The latest games through your 2405 should be just fine.

Associate
Heh, when gaming with a control pad, I just lean back in my chair, so I'd be about 1.5m away from the screen at a guess.

Shame PGR3 is poor on the jaggy front, wonder what Test Drive Unlimited is like...
I've always liked racing games when it comes to the xbox control pad, not really played anything but for years!

Caporegime
LadFromWales85 said:
No, it feels like a console game and it played tremendously well. It's possibly the best designed game ever made (from a modelling POV) and is certainly the best looking (from a texturing POV). The effort that went into it is nothing short of stunning, if it was a movie it would win the Oscar for cinematography!

Caporegime
XPE said:
No console on the market plays as good as a keyboard and mouse imo.

But that said the game does control really well.

Actually, I found Halo, Prey and Call of Duty 2 all play better with a gamepad than Mouse and Keyboard. If a game is programmed well they can make terrific things happen.

Associate
Got my 360!! :D

Loving it so far! Before I post the positives, I have one small issue. I was playing Dead Rising, and noticed that when 'my guy' was moving, there were small thin black lines coming from him. I think they came from items in the world too, but they weren't as noticable.

I've got it hooked to my 2405FPW with Component, and the cable set to HD, the box is set to 720p atm. Is this just a scaling issue, or is the Component input on the monitor not all that good?

Downloading demos for games I might end up buying as soon as shops open tomorrow... :p

Caporegime
Glad you're enjoying it! I've not noticed any black lines coming from the character when running via VGA on monitor or at 720p on TV, but try it at 1080i and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if possible try a VGA connection.

whats your Xbox Live! name?

Associate
I have to say, PGR3 looks awful on my setup! I'm aware some people say it looks lush, but on my setup, it doesn't :( I've tried it set to 720p and 1080i, with the latter looking much worse for this particular game, masses of jaggies, the distance just looks like jaggy mush, and the spinning medals look like they are built from rectangles!

Will using VGA to a monitor look better than component? Will have to get hold of the VGA cable to give it a go. Just going to try DR at 1080i now, to see if the lines go away....

Caporegime
Lots of people have experienced a lot of jaggies on PGR3, and not for 1 minute am I claiming that there aren't any, however I've never found it as bad as people say it is.

A lot of the complainers do seem to use a 2407 though.

Associate
I'd say it has to be the scaler
1280x720 being stretched to fill 1920x1200

But then...1920x1080 stetched to 1920x1200...you'd expect it to look a bit better :( I've read that PGR3 is actually rendered at 600p, and upscaled to 720/1080, and has very little AA in game, which could explain why it looks jaggier than other games.

Those thin lines still appear to come off 'my guy' when its set to 1080i :( I tried taking a picture of it, but they don't seem to appear, might need to try with a quicker camera or something (I used my SE K800i)

Off to work now :(

Associate
I notice many of you are complaining about the PS3 being heavy?

when are you likely to be carrying it around with you that much to really worry about its weight?

I agree though that the PS3 looks ugly. the 360 isnt much better. I dont understand why that cant just make it like a standard sized HiFi seperate. At least that way you could stack them under you TV. I really dont understand the designers reasoning behind making them bizare shapes and sizes.

Caporegime
bluestreak101 said:
when are you likely to be carrying it around with you that much to really worry about its weight?
I often carry my Xbox360 upstairs, downstairs and to friends houses. Even when I keep it in one room I alternate between vertical and horizontal.

Associate
who cares what it looks like or how heavy it is? I won't be luggin about a £500+ piece of hardware. It's about whether the games are good or not.

p.s. I'm not buying one of these for a long time.

Soldato
hr18 said:
who cares what it looks like or how heavy it is? I won't be luggin about a £500+ piece of hardware. It's about whether the games are good or not.

p.s. I'm not buying one of these for a long time.

If the original Xbox was anything to go by, a lot of people seem to be bothered by those things.

Associate
NokkonWud said:
whats your Xbox Live! name?

LadFromWales

Wanted my usual ...85 name, but I used it on Live! for my original xbox, which I cancelled back in December. It's apparently impossible to recover a tag thats been inactive for more than 60 days, tried calling em about it. After verifying my info, was told this :(

Ah well :D Got TDU now too.....

Back
Top Bottom