Star wars books

Soldato
Can anyone recommend any decent ones to read?

Seems to be rather a lot of them about, where to start ?

Cheers.

Soldato
Simmz said:
Can anyone recommend any decent ones to read?

Seems to be rather a lot of them about, where to start ?

Cheers.

I think a good starting point would be the Thrawn Trilogy books, if memory serves they were the first ones released

Or you could try one of the short story books each set around event in the original (good) Star Wars films

Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina (set at the time when Han Solo was introduced)

Tales of the Bounty Hunters (set at the time as when Han Solo is captured)

Tales from Jabba's Palace ( set at the begining of Return of the Jedi)

Soldato
I'll second the Thrawn Trilogy - set almost immediately after the Return of the Jedi they're an entertaining jaunt through the Star Wars universe :) - because of them I bought a whole load of the New Jedi Order books, but I haven't read any of them yet - had 'em six months.

Man of Honour
this is an amazing series

* Jedi Academy 1/3: Jedi Search Kevin J Anderson
* Jedi Academy 2/3: Dark Apprentice Kevin J Anderson
* Jedi Academy 3/3: Champions of the Force Kevin J Anderson

Haven't read any of the pre return of the Jedi books, but read all the books after, apart from the x-wing series.

Then if you like that series I recommend the New Jedi Order series. its a universe fight against an alien race from a different universe. Its very good, lots of insight into the force.

* Vector Prime
* Dark Tide # 1 : Onslaught
* Dark Tide # 2 : Ruin
* Agents of Chaos # 1 : Hero's Trial
* Agents of Chaos # 2 : Jedi Eclipse
* Balance Point
* Edge of Victory # 1 : Conquest
* Edge of Victory # 2 : Rebirth
* Star by Star
* Dark Journey
* Enemy Lines # 1 : Rebel Dream
* Enemy Lines # 2 : Rebel Stand
* Traitor
* Destiny's Way
* Force Heretic # 1 : Remnant
* Force Heretic # 2 : Refugee
* Force Heretic # 3 : Reunion
* The Final Prophecy
* The Unifying Force
* Dark Nest # 1 : The Joiner King
* Dark Nest # 2 : The Unseen Queen
* Dark Nest # 3 : The Swarm War

Also the

The Hand of Thrawn Duology (19 ABY)

* Specter of the Past by Timothy Zahn
* Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn

is well worth a read.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Efour2 said:
These aren't the books you're looking for...

sorry had to do it :p

Move along
247040130mpc9.jpg

Man of Honour
AcidHell2 said:
this is an amazing series

* Jedi Academy 1/3: Jedi Search Kevin J Anderson
* Jedi Academy 2/3: Dark Apprentice Kevin J Anderson
* Jedi Academy 3/3: Champions of the Force Kevin J Anderson
The Jedi Academy series were the first ones I read, and I thought they were fantastic, certainly an exciting read, though takes a little while to get used to the newer minor characters.

Associate
I second the Thrawn Trilogy.

There is also a two-book series by Zahn (author of the above, and its sequel) that deserve checking out.

Avoid ALL anderson books, unless you want to read about yet another deathstar prototype - mark 2 - .1 - alpha :p

Bry

Bry

Associate
All the books by Timothy Zahn are preety good - the Thrawn Trilogy and the Duology. Also the Xwing Saga books by Michael Stackpole are pretty good too.

After that if you are still interested in reading them i cant recommend enough in reading the rest in chronological order as they will make a lot more sense that way.

Caporegime
Start with the Thrawn trilogy. I have them all, every book. Read them all too. Best bet is to start with that trilogy then work your way through the stories in order. The front of the books give you the timescale. I'd stick to the main trilogys and read stuff like the bounty hunter tales later.

From the book front you will see thw timescales, I would read everything from the end of ROTJ onwards upto the New jedi order. The NJO is pants, its starts extremely well then they **** it up halfway though when lucas stuck his oar in and destroyed the series.

The pre Star wars stories are just like the prequels pretty pap. The X wing series are pretty good too. Well worth looking at.

Bry

Bry

Associate
dannyjo22 said:
The NJO is pants, its starts extremely well then they **** it up halfway though when lucas stuck his oar in and destroyed the series.

I wasnt aware lucas interfered how did he do it and what did he actually do?

Caporegime
Bry said:
I wasnt aware lucas interfered how did he do it and what did he actually do?

Oh yeah he screwed them big time. If you read the interviews at the end of The unifying force you will see the writers say how.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Basically as you can tell from reading it, the new top dog jedi was going to be one character, they started the writing and stories based around that Jedi. The original jedi to get bumped off isn't the one they planned. They wanted to out the other brother but Lucas didnt like the name clash with the Jedi in the prequels.

So despite years and years of build up getting that jedi to be the greatest warrior the names clashed so Lucas made them kill him.

Back
Top Bottom