Got some major problems here.

Recently bought these components to upgrade my exsisting computer:

Pentium D 820
MSI 975X Platinum PE
1Gb OCZ PC2-6400
3DFuzion 7600GT
Seasonic 430W PSU

Everything else thats standard is already there HDD, CD etc

Upon creating this beast, i discover that upon powering the system, all the fans whirr into life and after about 5 seconds, the system shuts down and restarts. Nothing appears on the screen, and the only indication to the failure i get is an LED on the back that states the systems loses power as the chipset is initialised. Me and my mate have had a good look and i believe that (after a lengthy process of elimination) that it could be a fault with the RAM.

I have already sent a motherboard back, but the new one (exact replacement, same model) suffers from the same downfall.

Can anyone suggest a reason as to why this is happening? Please dont leave out seemingly obvious things that we may have overlooked :p

Many thanks.
John

Man of Honour
Soldato
Well, first off are you 100% sure you've connected all the power leads to the motherboard, especially the "P4" 4-pin lead that is separate from the 20 or 24-pin ATX lead? That would cause what you're describing.

Also, is there any RAM you can take from a working machine with which you can test?

Associate
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Well, first off are you 100% sure you've connected all the power leads to the motherboard, especially the "P4" 4-pin lead that is separate from the 20 or 24-pin ATX lead? That would cause what you're describing.

Also, is there any RAM you can take from a working machine with which you can test?

I missed this reply, sorry.

We only have DDR RAM from the working rig. It wont work.

The 24-pin ATX lead is connected, and so it the 8-pin Intel lead that is for dual-core boards. The board originally came with a blanking plate for the 4 sockets that are connected to the same socket, but the PSU had a 4-pin and an 8-pin connector, so i naturally went with the 8-pin...

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
Without RAM it won't do anything. In order to absolve the RAM he has from guilt he must test with RAM that is established as being non-faulty.

Granted, just wanted to ensure it actually gets to the point of initiatising the memory. If it doesn't respond with beeps with the memory out then the problem may be elsewhere (ie motherboard).

Associate
OP
Right got an update. We have removed the Motherboard etc completly out of the case re installed it with only GFX card, CPU and RAM. We have tried both sticks of RAM seperatly and together in both sets of DIMM slots. Tried a different PSU. We have also tried without RAM (No warning sounds or lights given) without GFX Card therefore meaning the ONLY thing I can think of is CPU as this is the second Motherboard. We have also tried clearing the CMOS.

Unless you have any further suggestions I can only see it being another DOA motherboard or a dead CPU as it doesnt even reckonise (give a warning) the RAM or GFX card being removed.

PLEASE any ideas welcome!

Associate
OP
right just tried 2 PSU's one for the molex fans and the molex on the mobo and the other powering the cpu. then reversed the psu's to try that

One is a Tagan 480W and the other is a seasonic 430W so between them they should be able to do the job.

No luck still no beeps, nothing on the display and..... Keyboard lights do not initialize in the usb of ps2 port

keeps comming back to mobo or cpu i thinks

Associate
It probably long shot, but some mobos wont startup if they dont have cpu fan plugged into cpu fan connector on mobo. From what u tried so far dont think its that, but running out of ideas.

Soldato
When you connect it up bare bones, are you connecting the case fans as well?
I had almost the exact same problem. After pratting around for ages, i disconnected the ceiling case fan, and hey presto it all worked. So i just left it disconnected, as the other 2 case fans were fine.
I put it down to psu not supplying constant regular voltage to all components, and i did swap it after a short while for a new one.

If its cpu i would have expected it to last a little longer before shutting off.

edit: i had another pc do the same last week, shutting off after about 3-5 secs.
Booted it up today and it failed posts with ram errors but stayed on. Ram was filthy so i took it out, cleaned it, reseated it and voila everything worked again.
My point is, the symptons were random at first, so its hard to pinpoint the problem.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've come to the edge of what i can bear with this. Its disrupting my studies at uni as well. Im going to buy 1Gb of RAM and a new more powerful Tagan PSU. If that wont fix it. Then i guess ill have to make do with my current PC until i can be bothered to waste half my life trying to fix a computer with no apparant problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARGH!

Back
Top Bottom