Please Rejoin SETI@Home

Associate
I got this email from S@H today.

Dear Whitestar:

We'd like to invite you to reconnect with SETI@home. Our records show that you've been with SETI@home since 17 June 2002, but it's been 49 days since you last returned a work unit. We want you back, and here's why:

There are exciting times for SETI@home. We recently installed a new SETI@home data recorder at the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico. This recorder is attached to a state-of-the-art multibeam receiver, so we can now measure signals from 7 positions on the sky at once, with greater sensitivity to weak signals compared to the data from the flat feed antenna we've used since 1999. Coupled with a new application, SETI@home Enhanced, we've greatly increased the sensitivity of our data analysis, and the likelihood that we'll find the first signs of extraterrestrial life. We're also testing a second application, Astropulse, which will look for extremely short pulses of astronomical (and possibly intelligent) origin.

With these new developments comes an increase in required computing power, for which we depend on people like you. We hope you will consider signing back on with SETI@home, and help in this wonderful scientific venture.

Whether or now you resume running SETI@home, you can help us by filling out a survey about the BOINC software used by SETI@home. We want to make sure that SETI@home is easy to use for everyone, and your comments will help us make this happen.

If you experienced problems running SETI@home, please visit the Questions and Answers area of our web site. You may find the solution to your problem there; if not, you can ask for help from project volunteers and staff.

We thank you for your involvement in SETI@home, and hope that you rejoin us in our search for signals from other worlds.

-- The SETI@home team

Ummmm........ No!

Soldato
Whitestar said:
Because the software eats up far too much memory, its not really a worth while project anymore and folding is much better.
fact!
I just got one of these too!

Our records show that you've been with SETI@home since 10 September 2000, but it's been 227 days since you last returned a work unit. We want you back, and here's why:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
497 days for me :(

Never mind, I'm sure they will survive, but sorry, there are better projects out there, folding for one, but also other boinc ones too.

Associate
i think we should cure all our own genetic diseases, and sort out our climate first before looking for possible aliens who possibly live 200million years away who we can possibly contact at some very distant time in the future (if we somehow manage not to destroy the earth ourselves before then)

Associate
OP
I just looked at the time it says i havnt been crunching. 49 days. Thats means that i've still got at least one machine still crunching enhanced work units.

Its not boinc that i have a problem with. Its the seti enhanced client. Its rubbish, porly designed and very badly implemented. And as someone mentioned borkely really need to brush up on how they treat their users and work with them rather than alienate them (pun intented).

Associate
Dear Oceaness:

We'd like to invite you to reconnect with SETI@home. Our records show that you've been with SETI@home since 18 September 2001, but it's been 13435 days since you last returned a work unit. We want you back, and here's why.

13435 days :eek: I don't think it's been that long :confused: I'm only 19 years old :p

And no that is what the email says. No typo.

Associate
Its not boinc that i have a problem with. Its the seti enhanced client. Its rubbish, porly designed and very badly implemented.

What problems did you have with SETI enhanced? I find it very good, especially the new credit system which is much fairer than the old one. Plus compared to Folding you get a much more even ppd, cause all the WU get about the same points, so there is no luck involved in getting more points.

Because the software eats up far too much memory

I don't find this at all, mine seem to take about 60meg each. far less than many Folding or Climate projects....

Overall i don't think you can dish SETI due to either BOINC or SETI enhanced. (you obviously can dish it, or not, on its Science mertits relative to other DC projects.)

Soldato
br83taylor said:
Overall i don't think you can dish SETI due to either BOINC or SETI enhanced. (you obviously can dish it, or not, on its Science mertits relative to other DC projects.)

Dish? What has crockery got to do with S@H? Other than it is a complete crock...

S@H's WUs are all the same because to be honest there isn't THAT much variation in data they want you to look at. Basically noise... wooah!

F@H's WUs all vary because they are different proteins and also different experiments on said proteins. Some proteins are tiny.. some are huge! F@H's point's system is also very good considering the variation. Oh and Stanford are competant, unlike borkely.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom