200sx

Associate
Hi

A friend is selling his 200. Think its a 96 tuned to about 290bhp. The car has 110k on it with a rebuilt engine fitted. He owns a bodyshop and knows the car back to front so expect it to be in good order. Just wanting to know if 4k is a reasonable price, car has a kit on it and full drift style stickers with 18" rims. Dont know the full spec just that still the original turbo, not uprated. and FMIC.

Also how reliable are these ? Sort of considering buying it althought its probably not wise coming from a vtr. :eek: Il try get the pic off my phone

Opinions etc
Thanks

Soldato
290bhp is quite high on the original turbo. has he had the injectors uprated as they will be almost 100% if its a real 290bhp.

its an o.k. price assuming its in good condition.

to compare i just found my old car up on pistonheads for sale and its a 99 s14a with around 320bhp now and 70k on the clock. it was up for £6000.

the car should be pretty reliable at that power assuming all the works been done properly. e.g. the injectors being uprated for one!

have a look on SXOC.com and pistonheads for comparative prices :)

Associate
How do NI prices compare to UK prices?

Sounds high to me regardless of condition. Is it a facelift 96P (some P's are still pre facelift)? Is it a leather interior touring? (some people add leather later along with sideskirts)

Hypothetically were I to return my 96N 90K 200sx to standard I doubt I'd get more than 2K for it. If I sorted the paintwork out I might then get 2.5K. Imho these prices are perhaps on the optimistic side.

If I were to leave it modded you could add £500, but I'd get more were I to sell them separate - not sure I feasibly could as its chipped and I dont know how easy it is to 'de chip'. Perhaps the price includes something you want and is worth paying more for like wheels. Some people have wheels on them purchased for cira £800-1K and that could explain a 4K 'starting point price.

Tomos question on the mods is pretty important. I could whack my boost up to 16 psi and I wouldnt be too far off 290 bhp. I wouldnt buy a car from someone running standard injectors like that though. Things like that would give you what little you are going to get on how its been used recently.

Service history on these cars is meaningless imho, unless its an independent tuning firm. But asking about things like when/if the clutch was changed and what its got are quite important.

Associate
OP
I know little about them...could someone maybe pick out a good buy for me from piston heads, what to look for, what to avoid etc. And a bit of a overview on the popular mods that people carry out and weak points etc ?

There are very few 200sc over here in NI...which keeps the prices high. However ther not insurance friendly so keeps them out of reach of the usual boy racer. Howver even me been 19 with 1 year 2 ncb can insure it for £250 more than my vtr so be about £1800 hehe.

I am a bit afraid of the 300bhp-RWD thingy tho coming from the vtr. :eek:

Soldato
I know little about them...

OK that's not the best way to go into buying a high performance jap sports car. Read up on them first so you know what to look for. There is at least one major club for these cars which will doubtless have buying guides online

Learn all you can before making any buying decisions. As with all performance cars they are not cheap cars to run if you get a duffer so a little knowledge goes a long way

Associate
OP
The offending car..

davidbrowne-nissan.jpg

He will remove the stickers if i want as he owns the bodyshop. He also just informed me that from thursday he has spent about £1500 on the car for 4 new tires, turbo, exhaust, fuel pressure reg, and gearbox rebuild. Getting details tommorow.

Associate
OP
Think the graphics are a love hate thing...I would hate to take them off then think its a bit plain.

Looks well in real life tho, and does actually have the performance to go with it so is quite acceptable. Without the kit and wheels a standard 200 is ugly.

Associate
David _b said:
The offending car..
I can see why hes asking for 4K. I wouldnt mind betting someone will buy it at that price. Looks quite nice actually imho.

David _b said:
he has spent about £1500 on the car
Recently or overall? (wait for Thursday I guess)

David _b said:
turbo, exhaust, fuel pressure reg,
Answers the question on whether hes running bigger injectors. I'm not sure I'd read too much into the turbo needing replacing until you hear his reason.

David _b said:
gearbox rebuild
:eek: :eek:
That said I've heard of a Nissan service history car require a new gearbox because they never changed the oil, and the car had likely never been drag stipped etc. Actually I might view this as a good thing as just caus he may have 1/4'd the car a few times it doesnt necessarily mean anything else is likely to have been damamged. And a recently rebuilt gearbox would give a bit of peace of mind that it wont break again. Depends how recent though.

Putting it all together would make me a little wary perhaps. Find out if its had any suspension bushes changed as at that mileage you cant really avoid facing that job.

Associate
OP
Well im off to see him today i think. The car i well looked after, he has replaced the engine and will give me the old one as a spare as apparently a lot of the parts on it are still good, its just not running.

He says the syncro or something like that was going in it then yesterday it jammed in 3rd apparently, so getting it rebuilt.

The car has full drift stickers, and he admitted he has done a few drag strips etc but nothing mad and no real drifting. He gives it a good run but only down motorways. Will get a full listing of whats going on with it and then post up.

Associate
OP
Trickle said:
I can see why hes asking for 4K. I wouldnt mind betting someone will buy it at that price. Looks quite nice actually imho.

Recently or overall? (wait for Thursday I guess)

Answers the question on whether hes running bigger injectors. I'm not sure I'd read too much into the turbo needing replacing until you hear his reason.

:eek: :eek:
That said I've heard of a Nissan service history car require a new gearbox because they never changed the oil, and the car had likely never been drag stipped etc. Actually I might view this as a good thing as just caus he may have 1/4'd the car a few times it doesnt necessarily mean anything else is likely to have been damamged. And a recently rebuilt gearbox would give a bit of peace of mind that it wont break again. Depends how recent though.

Putting it all together would make me a little wary perhaps. Find out if its had any suspension bushes changed as at that mileage you cant really avoid facing that job.

The suspension bushes are standard and original i think. it has greedy turbo timer and boost control, noticed that when in the car. from thursday he spent £1500, nevermind the rims, kit and the usual performance mods, the stickers too.

But now that he is rebuilding the gearbox he wants a bit more cash...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom