spec me an mp3 player...6-15GB which is not an iPod!

Soldato
looking for something no smaller than 6GB but no bigger than about 15GB to replace my 40GB creative zen

dont really want to spend more than about £120...but depending i may spend a little more ;)

anything but an iPod will be considered ;)

Sol

Sol

Associate
Well you've picked odd sizes because it used to be 10gb standard for a hard drive based player but now its 20/30gb. The creative range are good but the Vision M is expensive. If you are not a fashion junkie then go for the Creative Zen which is pretty cheap now and is a pretty damn good player! There are loads of other options including the Sony NW range (I have an HD5 which is excellent although discontinued) but the Zen is good but bulky.

If you want a smaller player of around 6gb or so then you might aswell at least have a look at the iPod Nano (unless you had an iPod and hated it) which looks quite good to me, the iRiver H10 is quite nice too although it is a hard drive based player. I had one but sold it for my current Sony. The H10 had tons of problems when I got it but they have all been resolved now.

The Creative vision m is basically the Creative equivalent to the iPod video (but better imo - e.g. screen). If you don't want to play videos and want to save cash just get another lower range one...if you have the cash to burn however, why not? :D

One more thing, if you like the Creative Vision M then check out the iAudio X5 which may also be to your taste (I prefer the Vision M tbh).

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you tell us why you don't want an iPod, then we won't make the mistake of suggesting other players with those same issues / features.

Associate
You don't have to muck about with iTunes a lot of iPod users like myself use a program called Anapod Explorer (this also adds the iPod as an external device in the my computer screen.) Other file formats are easily converted over in iTunes (including WMA's.)

Soldato
OP
it needs to be able to play mp3 and wmv files because that is what all my music collection is in, if an ipod can do this, and i dont have to use itunes i will get an ipod

Soldato
Energize said:
An ipod can't play wma files.

dont use itunes then/ get a converter.

I hate itunes as much as i hate norton products.

There are many ways of getting music and playlists onto an ipod.

Foobar
Winamp
wmp
anapod

there are more but i havnt tried them yet.

On a side note, loving the new ipod firmware, battery does a week without charge now :D
Creative just removed a few functions from their players due to riaa. :(

Soldato
OP
ipods fine with mp3 files though?

MOST of my collection is mp3 anyway its mainly just the new stuff i have which i havent got round to converting yet

which am i best going for then? the nano?

no idea what all this gen is aboout either im taking it th ehigher the gen the newer/better the product?

Soldato
If you want an ipod got for a refurbished one. They look brand new but a fraction of the price.

I loath ipods and buying a nano was a big mistake. I'd rather listen to music on my K750i.

Soldato
OP
grr dont know what to do LOL

if the nanos are capable of playing mp3 and i dont have to use itunes, then ill just convert the few wma files i have into mp3 and ill be happy :)

Associate
Just go for an iPod, Vision M or iaudio5 xl if you can afford it. Can't go wrong really with any of them. My vote would go for the Vision M as a final choice though.

Only iPod I've had is a 3rd Gen one, liked it but the battery life annoyed the hell out of me eventually.

Caporegime
lay-z-boy said:
dont use itunes then/ get a converter.

It doesn't matter what program your using, it simply can't play wma files. As for converting wma into mp3 you lose even more quality as the codec strips even more data from the song, it certainly won't sound good at all.

Soldato
OP
right so what is the battery life like on nanos??

want something that is gonna last me about 2 hours a day for about 5 days without having to charge if possible so at least 10 hour battery life

as long as the mp3 files are fine ill just not use the wma ones :p

Back
Top Bottom