Why the long face ?

Soldato
Howdy, not posted pics on here for ages. Very busy and ickle girl taking up lots of time. Forced myself to take the camera out for a bit after work today. Couple of horse shots :

horsey%20final%202.jpg

horsey%20final.jpg

Associate
long face you say....?

122.jpg

I digress, sorry. I find them both not quite right as they are both looking out of the frame and the 2nd one particularly as you've cut it's nose off but for me not in the right place. It's kind of in a middle ground neither cropped enough to be a closeup nor wide enough to make an 'portrait'. It just feels slightly odd.

I like your processing on the 1st, it's not blown in the highlights (which I did with that donkey) and the dof is good as the eyes are in focus.

Nolimit said it looks sad. I think you need to make the viewer feel more 'uncomfortable' if you want to convey sadness. Here's a couple I took earlier this year and I think they really convey sadness with a horse...

_MG_1560.jpg

_MG_1563.jpg

With sadness I think you need to break the traditional rules of photography so in the first the window right accross the face in the middle of the shot. The second the eye in the bottom right of the frame looking out. Not the sort of shots you want on your wall but (I think) they fit the 'sadness' bracket.

Soldato
OP
Really like the last 2 pics you posted - with mine i couldnt quite get close enough to really crop in on the eyes and not wide enough to keep the nose an get the eye in. Was defi a compromise but i have tried to crop further but can not get an image im happier with. Other issue was debris in the pic - if you look at the b+w image there is a huge bright blue bucket in the shot - trying wider just gave far too much rubbish (literally) in the frame.

I literally went out for 15 mins with no idea what to take pics of, pulled up near a lake and the horse came to check me out ! I'm pretty happy with them given the circumstances.

nolimit : do you mean a full body shot of the horse (if its not what u mean sorry - i have had too much wine)

Caporegime
They look good. I like the composition of the second one more but I think it may look better in black and white. Could you post a B&W version of the second one up?

Back
Top Bottom