Pic Of The Day 5th May

Soldato
Todays pic is in my humble opinion one of the best to date, not just the single picture you see here but also the additional pictures that are available in the link below, also linked below for the newer members, or indeed even some of our more long term members who may have missed it first time around, is a feature originally posted by Fixxxer:) that also shows the effects of colliding galaxies.

ngc1275_hst.jpg

NGC 1275: A Galactic Collision

In NGC 1275, one galaxy is slicing through another. The disk of the dusty spiral galaxy near the image center is cutting through a large elliptical galaxy, visible predominantly on the lower left. Galaxies can change significantly during a collision like this, with gravitational tides distorting each galaxy and gas clouds being compressed and lighting up with new star formation. Galaxy collisions occur in slow motion to the human eye, with a single pass taking as much as 100 million years. NGC 1275 is a member of the Perseus cluster of galaxies that lies about 230 million light years away toward the constellation of Perseus. Each galaxy spans about 50,000 light years across. The above picture is a composite of images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in 1995 and 2001.

Credit: Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA), M. Donahue (STScI) & J. Trauger (JPL), NASA

A full text article and larger versions of this piccy can be found here, the images range from just 20K up to 8.74Meg; the images are linked to on this page so there are no probs for 56K users who want some of the mid range sizes.

The feature originally posted by Fixxxer can be found here, this page contains links to several excellent photos and also has some great simulations of galactic collisions.

I'm hoping that I've managed to achieve what I intended with the last few of these posts, although they are no longer as frequent as before, I personally think that the quality has greatly improved because I'm not having to use all of the good stuff too rapidly.:)

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

03rd May 03
30th Apr 03
26th Apr 03
24th Apr 03
22nd Apr 03
19th Apr 03
18th Apr 03

Associate
Originally posted by Markjcj
I'm hoping that I've managed to achieve what I intended with the last few of these posts, although they are no longer as frequent as before, I personally think that the quality has greatly improved because I'm not having to use all of the good stuff too rapidly.:)
Achieved and surpassed Mark :cool:
Have 2 stars for your troubles...

and another 5 stars when i hit the vote button which will equal 7 :)

Back
Top Bottom