Supreme Commander small Multiplayer beta

Associate
Posty said:
im only playing on a amd 2500, 1gb ram and ati 9800 so any screenshots i take look rubbish as im playing on low res and low graphics but i guess its good that it works on that spec

Could we have a look, just to see what low end looks like (i.e. my computer! :))

Thanks

TM

Soldato
James Bond said:
Damn, missed out on the file planet beta key. :(

I just paid the sub and got this, not too chuffed but i suppose its coming in a few day, Should make it clear that there ar no keys currently available ::

"You have been accepted into the Supreme Commander beta - but no beta slots are currently available.

However, you have already reserved a key and you WILL get a beta slot as soon as one is available.

Congratulations - you will be one of the few who is accepted to the exclusive closed beta test for Supreme Commander. We will be releasing keys throughout the closed beta event, so no matter when you are seeing this, a new key release is only a few days away. Beta slots will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis, so stay tuned - your slot will be opening soon. "

Associate
themistry said:
Could we have a look, just to see what low end looks like (i.e. my computer! :))

Thanks

TM

Seconded! :). My junker is a 2800+64, 1gig ram, 9800pro. So if there is no NDA on this beta would you be able to tell us how it runs and possibly a screen or two to see how it looks. (Obviously not expecting the world, but just want to know if it will run at all on my machine).

Associate
For some reason my link in the email I got is different to yours? The numbers are backwards in yours?

Mine was:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/160000/169140.shtml

Not too impressed with it so far. You cant play offline to practice and learn what everything does. Plus when finding a game you have to use their game finding thing (its kinda like Gamespy) but it doesnt display the ping times, etc of the game you want to connect to so you have no idea if its going to be laggy! When you join the game however it then displays everyones pings :rolleyes:

Had a couple of games so far. One of them my stuff got stuck upgrading to Tech 2 so I couldnt do anything at all. The second crashed with an exception 10mins in!

All the fun of Betas I suppose :D From what has worked so far though it looks like it has good potential! When your commander explodes its HUUUGE!

Last edited:
Caporegime
This message has been deleted by Berserker. Reason: Sounds illegal to me.

It was fileplanet that made the beta public , thousands of users got it without the cdkey... it was fileplanets mistake in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
number41 said:
I just gave in and signed up to fileplanet for a month. Was only $9 so about £5 :S Same price as an issue of PC Gamer!

I did this for the beta of 2142, checked my online bill this month and it appears there 1 month option keeps renewing, i thought it was for just 1 month.

Soldato
Im mighty dissapointed after all the hype....what do you guys think. IMO company of heroes is better. I think they have tried to do too much with supreme commander, suppose i can give it time though and try more online play :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Had a quick go against some AI just now, and it looks like it could be great, although it was a little hard finding the right buttons etc. to do everything without instructions.

Seemed a little jerky, not fps wise, just the way it scrolled around. Is there anyway to rotate the camera? And it needs a new ui!

Soldato
Jabbs said:
I did this for the beta of 2142, checked my online bill this month and it appears there 1 month option keeps renewing, i thought it was for just 1 month.

Its a recurring thing u will need to cancel it ethier thru the account in FP or if paid by payapl then thru them.

Associate
gizmoy2k said:
Im mighty dissapointed after all the hype....what do you guys think. IMO company of heroes is better. I think they have tried to do too much with supreme commander, suppose i can give it time though and try more online play :rolleyes:

I have to agree :( Company of Heros sucked me in right from the beta when I was testing that too. The gameplay in that really involved you and made you look after the units, repairing them, pulling them back if under attack, etc

Supreme Commander is just all about building 10 factories and continuously sending units out until you get to tech 3 until you can build to special units that can go out into the battle. No sense of involvement and it's just so repetitive!

If I was to compare it to the FPS of the PC world I'd have to say its the RTS of the Quake world. There's no longetivity in this one if you're after tactics and involvement. I got bored after an hour of the 4 player match I was playing and just quit. It was all about holding off the other player until nukes were available. I had a feeling it would be like this looking at the videos and the Beta has just confirmed this.

Company of Heros has spoilt me! I love the destructable environment, the tactics, the fact you actually have to look after your units bringing them back for repair, etc.

Thats just my opinion. If you liked Total Anihalation style gameplay you will like Supreme Commander. If you're after something that plays slower and is more in-depth then its not really your cup of tea...

Suspended
number41 said:
I have to agree :( Company of Heros sucked me in right from the beta when I was testing that too. The gameplay in that really involved you and made you look after the units, repairing them, pulling them back if under attack, etc

Supreme Commander is just all about building 10 factories and continuously sending units out until you get to tech 3 until you can build to special units that can go out into the battle. No sense of involvement and it's just so repetitive!

If I was to compare it to the FPS of the PC world I'd have to say its the RTS of the Quake world. There's no longetivity in this one if you're after tactics and involvement. I got bored after an hour of the 4 player match I was playing and just quit. It was all about holding off the other player until nukes were available. I had a feeling it would be like this looking at the videos and the Beta has just confirmed this.

Company of Heros has spoilt me! I love the destructable environment, the tactics, the fact you actually have to look after your units bringing them back for repair, etc.

Thats just my opinion. If you liked Total Anihalation style gameplay you will like Supreme Commander. If you're after something that plays slower and is more in-depth then its not really your cup of tea...

However there other people, not just myself, who loves churning out a mass of units and going in for an all out war. Just now ive had a game of redalert 2 with 6 other computers on hardest, i dont like thinking about reparing units and sending medics out. Im all about a mass armies with nukes and weather storms and everything else flying about. I love a 'strategy' game that lasts 12 or so minutes otherwise i just get bored. longer obviously if you hold off and have a 100 tank battle

Hopefully this will just be what im looking for. (an improved, 3d version of redalert2, with bigger and more units/structures)

Associate
Yep, absolutely. This game is gonna appeal to the ones who like quick, continuous battles of throwing units! Its why theyre making it. They wouldnt make it if there wasnt a market for it. Suppose im just the type of person who likes a slower game.

The "Disc" unit in Sup Com is wicked though! Hadnt seen it before tonight. It's a huge flying saucer type thing that annihalates anything it flies over. When it gets shot down it certainly falls out of the sky with a huge crash! Should really get some screenies for the people who couldnt get on the Beta. I cant figure out how to build the largest units however :confused: I can build tech 3 but the HUGE units I just cant seem to find out how to create!

If people have any requests for screenies let me know and ill try and get some. The game is awsome if you're after a Total Annihalation follow up!

Here is an Aeon Battleship (left) the Aeon submersible battleship (middle round thing - yep it can submerge!!!) and an Aeon Shipyard

battleship.jpg

A colussus compared to the commander and a normal unit. You can see the saucer in the distance hovering overhead

colosusjpg.jpg

Thought I'd nuke the area!

nuked.jpg

The aftermath. The colussus is on half health even after the nuke exploded setting off the nuke that happens when your commander dies!! It's one tough beast!! Nukes take AGES to build in this. You have to build the launchers which takes about 15-20 mins then the nukes themselves too!

aftermath.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
you have to use a tech 3 engineer to make the experimental units.

select your engie, then click the experiemental tab, then select your unit :)

We'll have to have a newbie on newbie game sometime number41

Last edited:
Soldato
:(

i am so jealous... anyone that for some reason got the beta but doesn't like the game give me your key plz.. will love u long time :D

i also like company of heroes but this is on a different level.. coh is about small scale skirmishes.. this is about a whole battle with multiple engagements going on at the same time... surely there must be loads of strategy there

Back
Top Bottom