How hard is it to get into the RAF?

Associate
As title suggests, how hard exactly is it to get into the raf and actually fly a plane? and would being 6 foot 5" be a problem?

Associate
sendos said:
As title suggests, how hard exactly is it to get into the raf and actually fly a plane? and would being 6 foot 5" be a problem?

Do a Google for the requirments and processes your'll have to go through to get in. Im pretty sure that the pilot's themselves are very intelligent guys and the best of the best. There are also other jobs of course within' the RAF other than flying.

Associate
OP
hmm i was looking into the flying side of it, seems to have every other job imaginable listed on there carrers website apart from pilot lol. but then again im not to sure, knowing me i'll probaly want to be a marine biologist next week and then the week after a astronaught.

Soldato
How hard is it to get into the RAF? Not very. To get in in exactly the trade you want? Can be difficult (especially for skilled trades). To fly planes? Even more difficult. To fly fast jet/rotary wing? more difficult still.

It's not going to be easy. Even if you are what they are looking for there might be better people on the day/they might have already filled the posts.

EDIT: I see you weren't necessarily looking at pilot, depending on the trade it might be a reasonable goal. But remember it's not just a job :)

Associate
Let me tell you from experience. Getting in as a pilot in the RAF is VERY difficult. Your grades need to be very high and you need to have a history of showing interest in extra curricular activities, such as; attending cadets, voluntary community service, or having The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a very good idea.
On top of that you need to show that your a leader. As an officer in the RAF you'll be leading other men and setting examples. Even if you have all this you still might no be what they're looking for.
But if at first you dont succeed, try again, they like persistence :)

Associate
OP
I would be interested, problem is its a serious commitment if you apply etc what with the sponsorship... and i could get stuck doing a degree that wouldnt be my main choice. although the starting pay is pretty amazing i could be earning that within a year or two if i work for my grandad whilst training to be an accountant.

Associate
OP
Smithy said:
Let me tell you from experience. Getting in as a pilot in the RAF is VERY difficult. Your grades need to be very high and you need to have a history of showing interest in extra curricular activities, such as; attending cadets, voluntary community service, or having The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a very good idea.
On top of that you need to show that your a leader. As an officer in the RAF you'll be leading other men and setting examples. Even if you have all this you still might no be what they're looking for.
But if at first you dont succeed, try again, they like persistence :)

ah i see, well thats me screwed then... all my extra curricular activitys involve girls and copious amounts of alcohol so

Associate
SharksFinSoup said:
are you still in are you smithy?
I didnt get in. Which is how i have experience, but just trying has given me a good idea of what they're looking for. Ive since then considered other trades in the RAF and will no doubt join as an engineer of some sorts when i finish my degree.

Soldato
It is very hard to become a fighter pilot, an old friend of mine went to that posh university, St Andrews in Edinburgh and he is very very clever, he passed all the tests but sadly he failed on the medical because of the shape of his spine, so they are very picky because of the way the planes are designed etc.

edit/ just to add that the RAF actually approached him and asked if he wanted to try for it

Associate
you never know till you try sendos.

smithy is right they look at everything i have had several friends go for commisioning and been turned down but there is nothing to stop them trying again

Associate
Smithy said:
I didnt get in. Which is how i have experience, but just trying has given me a good idea of what they're looking for. Ive since then considered other trades in the RAF and will no doubt join as an engineer of some sorts when i finish my degree.

good luck to you. we need decent engo's they are the ones who can have a huge impact on morale. its not an easy place to be sat from what i have seen but it is a rewarding job

Associate
OP
damn, i forgot about medical restrictions... i have a none compacted apex on my heart which although hasnt actually been linked, with evidence, to any serious heart condition would probaly mean i wouldnt even get considerd.

Soldato
sendos said:

23 years old at time of applying minimum, perfecet eyesight, physically fit, able to pass selection, degree minimum I THINK

Soldato
Its very hard to get into the RAF as a pilot, they literally only take the best of the best. I remember one year they were looking for 70 people and literally had thousands and thousands of people applying for each post. I hate to break to you but at 6'5" I am certain that you wont get into fast jet track, pretty sure the limit is around 6'2" for that. You might have more luck with the other tracks particularly flying transports and that kind of thing. Your best bet is to approach your local RAF recruiting center and ask them.

Back
Top Bottom