The Software Firewall Thread:

Associate
I currently use Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall Pro for monitoring / restricting outgoing and some incoming connections.

This threads aim is to come up with the BEST either free or paid for software firewall. Please give reasons and no i don't want to here Windows Firewall in SP2 is the be all and end all.....

Comodo Firewall is another one which seems to get some good reviews, is it better than kerio? Reasons? I cant stand Zone Alarm products, but thats not to say they aren't any good.

Suggestions and reasons welcome. Maybe this could become a sticky at some point...

Soldato
n30_mkii said:
Comodo Firewall is another one which seems to get some good reviews, is it better than kerio? Reasons? I cant stand Zone Alarm products, but thats not to say they aren't any good.

I use Comodo - Zone Alarm did my head in and IMO Comodo is much better.
Just the general feel of it and it doesn't stop me using the pc whenever it feels like it :/
Not used Kerio so can't comment.

Soldato
Using sygate personal firewall, it's free but not available through their website any more.
Does the job for me and it's fairly unobtrusive running in the background.

Panzer

Associate
Kerio was the best until they utterly destroyed it by giving it to sunbelt who just don't bother to solve things. The most annoying bit about the new versions though is that pop up to ask you to buy it every so often. The old kerio was good, you clicked the pop up once saying no thanks, I just want the free version and that was it. But this thing. . . . it gets on my **** when I'm playing some game and the damn thing comes up.

I'm behind my linux router which I have set up with iptables etc anyway, might just switch to the SP2 firewall.

beh

beh

Associate
Are software firewalls really necessary? I just found them to be an annoyance. If your behind a router with NAT and keep your OS relatively well patched I don't see the risk.

Soldato
beh said:
Are software firewalls really necessary? I just found them to be an annoyance. If your behind a router with NAT and keep your OS relatively well patched I don't see the risk.

Agreed, NAT & integrated firewall = more than good enough.

Bit of deja vu, i swear there have already been around 3 threads on firewalls all asking the same question.

Search does come in handy you know.

Associate
beh said:

I only use a software firewall to control what programs get access to the internet. Other than that, it serves no use to me because my router's firewall does everything.

Associate
Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro

Kerio Personal Firewall Pro

Zone Alarm Security Suite

BEST SECURITY SOFTWARE I VE EVER USED IN MY LIFE IS:

Total Net Shield best ever

That is what you will get :) will change IP address for you 3 to 5 times in one minute

SSH Session :

Encryption: aes256-cbc, twofish-cbc, aes128-cbc, twofish128-cbc, blowfish-cbc, 3des-cbc, arcfour, cast128-cbc

MAC encryption : hmac-sha1, hmac-sha1-96, hmac-md5, hmac-md5-96

Compression encryption: zlib

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom