Spraying wood

Associate
Hi there,

I haven't a clue where to post this as it it relates to spraying wood... couldn't have gone in the Hi-Fi nor General hardware me thinks...so general discussion it is!

I have searched the forums but no luck.

Well then, I have some old Hi-Fi speakers that are looking tatty.

I want to spray them silver.

Just wondering if anyone can can give me a simple guide on what I need and the order to do things..... like so..

1.) Firstly to sand the wood

etc

Hope I am making sense to you lot :) I've had a few :)

Help is much needed thank you

Soldato
Consider using an oil finish like Tung oil. If you do want a high gloss finish you'll need a good quality spray on laquer and you'll need to finish the wood to a high standard using wet and dry abrasive paper, a coarse grade first, followed by a fine grade. For the very best finish, use steel wool which you can use between coats (make sure each thinly applied coat is fully dried) and you can clean the surface of abrasive material before laquering with white spirit.

There must be loads on the 'net about this though.

Associate
OP
phykell said:
Consider using an oil finish like Tung oil. If you do want a high gloss finish you'll need a good quality spray on laquer and you'll need to finish the wood to a high standard using wet and dry abrasive paper, a coarse grade first, followed by a fine grade. For the very best finish, use steel wool which you can use between coats (make sure each thinly applied coat is fully dried) and you can clean the surface of abrasive material before laquering with white spirit.

There must be loads on the 'net about this though.

Thanks a lot - a lot of information there :)

I was actually surprised that I could not find anything on the net! maybe its just me lol

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom