Thoughts of a returning switcher

Soldato
I thought some people might appreciate my views on a switch to Mac, and then back again. Anyway, the first thing I feel is important is my general background- From the start, I've always had two PCs/ installs: One Windows for gaming, and one Gnome based Linux laptop for anything else. The very original laptop I had was a Thinkpad 560 (12", P100), and I've still never found anything to compare to it.
Six months ago, I decided to replace the relatively cheap Toshiba I was using at the time, and the choice came down to a Thinkpad or a Macbook Pro (The top-speced variant!). In the end, I went with the Macbook Pro, as the idea was to give a Unix based OS with the ability to compile in the apps I had been using under Linux. This never really happened- The OSX integration is subtly different enough to mean that a a dedicated build is very often necessary.

Now though, I've just had the opportunity to play with a recent Thinkpad, and I've decided to move back in that direction- I miss a lot of Linux stuff, especially Gnome, and some of my little niggles with the Macbook Pro hardware don't come up with a Thinkpad. Below are my thoughts on my experience, both good and bad.

Pros:
*OSX really is a nice OS to use generally. Everything is very integrated, and it normally works out of the box.
*The hardware is above the standard cheap laptop by some margin, but below the Thinkpad I'm moving back to.
*Related- The backlit keyboard is quite nice, but a little gimmicky at times.
*The finder is second to none- Windows explorer & Nautius simply cannot compete in this regard.
*There were two deal-making games on OSX- World of Warcraft & the Football Manager series. There are also more games generally than for a Linux box.
*The bundled apps are incredibly polished, and anywhere else, you'd probably expect to pay for them ;)
*Standardised theme- This comes in both the pros and the cons section, as while everything matches and looks quite nice, there is no real way to change everything consistantly to match my personal preferences.

Cons:
*I want to murder whoever put a single mouse button on Mac laptops :p There are a huge number of uses for right-click, and even thier wired mice have more than one mouse button. This is one of my biggest annoyances. I also hate the trackpad- This has been the first laptop I've had without a trackpoint, and it has irritated me no end.
*The Mac keyboard is nice, yes, but those on the Thinkpads are in a different league.
*The power cord, while a nice idea and perhaps useful for some is simply a pain in the rear.
*There is something that almost equates to a sense of arrogance- If you don't like the way something is done, there is no way to change it. The classic example of this is the inflexibility of the menu bar/ dock; I would have much preferred to swap them round, but this isn't possible.
*The menu bar annoys me. Not sure why, it just does; I much prefer a customised 3 start-type menus system and window selector.
*No programs menu- To me, this is another almost inexcusable problem. You either have to keep apps in the dock or ferret through the apps folder; There is no way to have a simple menu with your apps subcategorised in it.
*The way the wireless works is simply a pain- Why is there no way to show a list of wireless networks with signal strength etc. and select which you want to connect to?
*Standardised theme- This comes in both the pros and the cons section, as while everything matches and looks quite nice, there is no real way to change everything consistantly to match my personal preferences.

Thanks for reading this ramble, and your thoughts & comments are appreciated.

-Leezer-

Soldato
Great write up that.
And i agree with every point.

I own both an iBook & a Thinkpad myself, and i do agree with your points about both.
Your points about OSX are good as well. It is a good OS, and i can see why people like it, but its inflexability at times is annoying.

On a side note, i find Apples website funny, they're advertising a built in light for their MacBookPros as new feature. Do my fellow Thinkpad owners care to comment on that...:p

Soldato
I'm just going to address a few of your concerns so you're not left with too much of a bad taste after taking a bite from Apple ;) Also just so others know things can be done.

leezer3 said:
Cons:
*I want to murder whoever put a single mouse button on Mac laptops :p There are a huge number of uses for right-click, and even thier wired mice have more than one mouse button. This is one of my biggest annoyances. I also hate the trackpad- This has been the first laptop I've had without a trackpoint, and it has irritated me no end.

You can enable 2 finger right clicking with OSX now on any Macbook / Pro. Simply tap 2 fingers on the pad and you have right click.

*The Mac keyboard is nice, yes, but those on the Thinkpads are in a different league.

Never used one so I can't say, but yeah the Mac ones are great.

*The power cord, while a nice idea and perhaps useful for some is simply a pain in the rear.

Haven't had any problems myself. Iits a great design. Although its a bit pointless when you can trip over your network cable as some people have ;)

*There is something that almost equates to a sense of arrogance- If you don't like the way something is done, there is no way to change it. The classic example of this is the inflexibility of the menu bar/ dock; I would have much preferred to swap them round, but this isn't possible.

You can move the dock in the normal prefs and you can get programs to place it all over the place.

*The menu bar annoys me. Not sure why, it just does; I much prefer a customised 3 start-type menus system and window selector.

*shrugs*

*No programs menu- To me, this is another almost inexcusable problem. You either have to keep apps in the dock or ferret through the apps folder; There is no way to have a simple menu with your apps subcategorised in it.

Quite true. I dropped my Apps dir onto the dock and when you right click you do have a programs menu or you can use the menu and recently used apps. I use Quicksilver anyway so I just hit ctrl+space and type the first few characters of the app name and hit enter. So quick.

*The way the wireless works is simply a pain- Why is there no way to show a list of wireless networks with signal strength etc. and select which you want to connect to?

You can get dashboard widgets to do that.

Due to the Intel switch some applications don't work yet, namely Shapeshifter which allows users to change their themes easily.

You do raise some good points and I can see how if you like Linux OSX could be a bit limiting.

Soldato
OP
Not a bad taste as such, just the little irritations which mean that its not quite for me.
A lot of these things really do smack of the our way or not at all attitude, which IMHO is the worst thing about a Mac. Call it arrogance if you will, but Apple seems to have aimed OSX at the n00b/ non-fiddler audience, and has forgotten that some users like to tweak things to thier preferences, even if it is only a simple option to change the colors or move something to a different location.

I have played with the beta of Shapeshifter, and again though, its not right, and some apps don't play ball with it.

The original hope was for pretty much Linux with a wider selection of apps, but this just isn't it.
After using a Linux/ Windows combo for the past 8 years, perhaps I'm a little limited in my outlook, but each to his own really.

-Leezer-

Soldato
leezer3 said:
Not a bad taste as such, just the little irritations which mean that its not quite for me.
A lot of these things really do smack of the our way or not at all attitude, which IMHO is the worst thing about a Mac. Call it arrogance if you will, but Apple seems to have aimed OSX at the n00b/ non-fiddler audience, and has forgotten that some users like to tweak things to thier preferences, even if it is only a simple option to change the colors or move something to a different location.

I have played with the beta of Shapeshifter, and again though, its not right, and some apps don't play ball with it.

The original hope was for pretty much Linux with a wider selection of apps, but this just isn't it.
After using a Linux/ Windows combo for the past 8 years, perhaps I'm a little limited in my outlook, but each to his own really.

-Leezer-

Huh. I love the customization in OSX. You can change quite a lot that you can't in Windows. The reason why Shapeshifter has some issues is because its in beta. I can assure you that when its done it'll work fine. I use it on a PPC Mac Mini and its great.

Soldato
OP
cyKey said:
Huh. I love the customization in OSX. You can change quite a lot that you can't in Windows. The reason why Shapeshifter has some issues is because its in beta. I can assure you that when its done it'll work fine. I use it on a PPC Mac Mini and its great.

Arrgh, I look like I'm about to start an argument here :p
A few small examples; Its the smaller little niggles that you see every day, rather than anything else-
First- The menu bar. There is no way by default to move it to the bottom of the screen. Windows & Linux let you position it where you want.
Second- Color scheme. Even if its simply the title bar of a window, in both Windows and Linux, its a few clicks work to change this, and there are alternate color schemes available by default. (Yes, Windows does need a hack for the more complex ones, but still ;) )
Third- Startup scripting/ apps. Again, this is much more of a pain in the rear to do on an OSX system.

My Shapeshifter issues were nothing to do with the beta ;) Most apps are designed to fit around the OSX interface, and therefore use unmodifiable theme elements (Without hacking in the app resources anyway) that fit in with it, rather than using either a neutral or customisable approach. This admittedly is because Apple have designed OSX to be used with a single GUI style, and users are not expected to have anything different by default, but still, my point remains :)

-Leezer-

Soldato
cyKey said:
...Although its a bit pointless when you can trip over your network cable as some people have ;)

Very subtle, i almost missed that ;)

I am quite amazed by the number of people who don't seem to realise that Mac laptops have right click when you tap the pad with two fingers. This has come up a few times recently!

Personally i really like the way there is no start menu :) The dock is used for apps you use all the time, and i use Spotlight to launch everything else (others use Quicksilver). It's very fast, maybe and really simple.

Soldato
The alternative right click isnt an excuse imo.
Sounds daft, but the amount of time that could be wasted, not to mention the fact that theres extra effort for the user, can mount up using the alternate right click.
And while there will be hundreds of Macaddicts that say 'while im used to it and i use my mac for insert generic profession here', that doesnt excuse it. You dont have a choice, you have to do that. So short of buying an external mouse, which isnt really feasible with a laptop, its just a poor implementation. Which considering how all the Macaddicts claim that Apple implement things perfectly, is a little disappointing.
Bottom line:
Right click on a normal computer/mouse is there to provide quick access to an alternate set of commands.
Its called right click. Not double tap then select!

Soldato
BoomAM said:
The alternative right click isnt an excuse imo.
Sounds daft, but the amount of time that could be wasted, not to mention the fact that theres extra effort for the user, can mount up using the alternate right click.
And while there will be hundreds of Macaddicts that say 'while im used to it and i use my mac for insert generic profession here', that doesnt excuse it. You dont have a choice, you have to do that. So short of buying an external mouse, which isnt really feasible with a laptop, its just a poor implementation. Which considering how all the Macaddicts claim that Apple implement things perfectly, is a little disappointing.
Bottom line:
Right click on a normal computer/mouse is there to provide quick access to an alternate set of commands.
Its called right click. Not double tap then select!

It's FAR quicker this way :) Do people ever really use the physical mouse buttons on laptops when there's a touchpad? Tap with one finger for left click, tap with two fingers for right click (not double tap, you just tap once with two fingers).

Soldato
Matt said:
It's FAR quicker this way :) Do people ever really use the physical mouse buttons on laptops when there's a touchpad? Tap with one finger for left click, tap with two fingers for right click (not double tap, you just tap once with two fingers).
Is it heck as like.
Whats faster? tapping the touch pad twice or a button once? Hmm...;)

Soldato
BoomAM said:
Is it heck as like.

Use it. You'll know what i mean. Your fingers are already on the touchpad, so touching it with two fingers is a LOT easier than moving to a button. Don't comment on something you've not tried, as you appear to be dismissing a system which is proven to be very good.

Soldato
BoomAM said:
Is it heck as like.

Or if you do it the correct way, you simply put 2 fingers on the trackpad to right click which is touching it once. So you're right, it is the faster way and its great that Apple designed it that way :D

Soldato
Matt said:
Use it. You'll know what i mean. Your fingers are already on the touchpad, so touching it with two fingers is a LOT easier than moving to a button. Don't comment on something you've not tried, as you appear to be dismissing a system which is proven to be very good.
Not tried?
Dont comment on something you dont know about. ;)
I own an iBook!
The way i personally use a laptop, is one hand on the trackpoint/keyboard, and the other on one of the two sets of mouse buttons. ;) (The beauty of a Thinkpad is that no matter what Apple do, it cant compete. :p)
The point is though that for most peoples natural positions on a laptops mouse control, a right click button is quicker unless your used to doing it another way, which is pretty obvious that the 'other way' would be faster in that case.

Soldato
BoomAM said:
Great write up that.
On a side note, i find Apples website funny, they're advertising a built in light for their MacBookPros as new feature. Do my fellow Thinkpad owners care to comment on that...:p

I find it funny because PowerBooks have also for a long time had a built in light, so why do they claim its a new feature?

Associate
BoomAM said:
Is it heck as like.
You're still only tapping the touchpad once, just with two fingers together rather than one. :p I must admit that whenever I use a laptop I very rarely use the buttons as I guess I'm used to just tapping the pad.

As much as I love my Mac, I still prefer web browsing on the PC. Firefox and IE on the PC always seem to render pages better. Everything on the Mac browser is smaller, even at the same res, and if you try to adjust the smallest font size setting then it can break page formatting.

A.

Soldato
Andy C said:
You're still only tapping the touchpad once, just with two fingers together rather than one. :p I must admit that whenever I use a laptop I very rarely use the buttons as I guess I'm used to just tapping the pad.
Wether your using 1 finger or 2, it still equates to 2 taps. ;)

The main thing that annoys me about my iBook, is that the mouse moves differentely to what it does on my main PC. It just seems slugish. Even with a mouse plugged into it. Its something ive noticed with all Macs.

Back
Top Bottom