Pictures of DELL ULTRASHARP 2007WFP

Associate
can someone please give me the measurements of the actual screen, not including the stand - W x H is good :)

I say this because I have made a template (lol) but i think it is bigger, as the dimensions on the dell website include the size with the stand.

thanks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
squarepusher said:
can someone please give me the measurements of the actual screen, not including the stand - W x H is good :)

I say this because I have made a template (lol) but i think it is bigger, as the dimensions on the dell website include the size with the stand.

thanks.

It's almost exactly 19" wide by 12" high from edge of bezel to edge of bezel ;)

Associate
i must have got a bargain then, i got my ULTRASHARP 2007WFP direct for £285 delivered. :D 35% off.

Where is this timer people mention? Ive looked in my menu's and not seen it?

no idea what screen mine is, I just know i am more than happy with it.

Its an A02 so its not got the issues the earlier ones had with firmware.

Associate
Dont know if any of you of had this prob but with the xbox 360 with the official cable i noticed in vga mode there is a sort of fuzz which can only be seen on dark black to gray colours like on splinter cell. You wont see it on any other game unless on very dark levels might be just my monitor.

This is when you let the monitor auto adjusts so what i did to solve it was to turn the contrast down from 50 to 40 which made the blacks actually black instead of gray and up the brightness to 70 i also had to change the sharpness option to 80 so the text was more vivid.

Other than that and what others are describing a sort of light shine effect in some of the corners if you move back from the screen. No way could you spot it when sat directly in front of the screen but if you watch tv on it like i do from a distance you can notice it when watching dark movies but its easily forgotton as the image quality is superb. The cables are an absolute ass to put in so make sure you turn the monitor verticle.

One other thing keep it in desktop mode for vga dvi as the colours seem to be the best :).

Soldato
Just got my Dell 2007WFP and... it's a work of perfection! :)

What a lovely picture. Can't see any pixel problems so far. Seems very quick, none of the dark trails I used to get on my previous 25 ms screen. It seems very big once you start using it too (my previous screen was 17") - I honestly can't see anyone being dissapointed with the size of a 20" screen.

Tried GTR2 in 1680*1050 and Oblivion in 1280*800 so far and they both looked superb. The panoramic view in Oblivion was amazing :cool:

Will post back with more detailed opinions once I've tested it more, but more than happy so far. Dunno which panel or anything.

edit:It's an IPS.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a couple of things I've been noticing over the last few days and I was wondering if anyone has seen the same...

When there's a certain shade on screen, eg. the grey desktop in the photoshop app (50% black?), then there is definate screen flicker, it looks almost like an old CRT running at about 40Hz - very odd. You can see it in Paint also if you fill the screen with a mid grey.

Also, again only with certain shades, there is what appears to be a murky band running vertically down the screen, just off centre to the left. Again this is only noticable with certain shades or viewing angles.

BTW, what does turning the panel to gaming mode actually do?

Cheers,

A.

Soldato
fish99 said:
Just got my Dell 2007WFP and... it's a work of perfection! :)

What a lovely picture. Can't see any pixel problems so far. Seems very quick, none of the dark trails I used to get on my previous 25 ms screen. It seems very big once you start using it too (my previous screen was 17") - I honestly can't see anyone being dissapointed with the size of a 20" screen.

Will post back with more detailed opinions once I've tested it more, but more than happy so far. Dunno which panel or anything.

edit:It's an IPS.

Same Mr Citylink Man just dropped it off about 2 hrs ago, and have olny been able to try it out on the work Pc (which is pants)

No problems with it though feels good and very good build quality, have to wait for the rest of my Pc to be upgraded till i get it home though :mad:

Soldato
Think I can post some more considered opinions now.

It does have a couple of weaknesses. I agree with Baddass (from his review) about detail in dark areas, it's not one of this screens strong points. Pretty much have to turn the brightness up to get round this.

2nd weakness would be movie playback, even in desktop mode I'm seeing some odd colour blocking, could be banding, not sure, but I won't be watching films on it so that doesn't matter to me. Let's say it brings out all the artifacts in compressed movies.

A few other things, not weaknesses but just things worth mentioning - it's very bright. I find it too bright for extended use with brightness on even 20. Somewhere between 10 and 20 seems about right for me. Of course it depends what's on the screen - if you're using Visual C++ which is basically a mostly white screen with black text, then high brightness really messes with your eyes, so you need brightness 10. Playing a game though, brightness 40 is ok.

Game/Multimedia mode - while there's banding using both of these settings, you don't notice it during gaming, only with a still picture, but you can see the brightness change every few seconds as the electronic adjusts the screen. I dunno whether game or desktop mode will be better for games yet. Game mode at least pulls extra detail out in dark areas (mainly because the screen is brighter).

That's the cons dealt with, now the pros.

Firstly it's very quick, much quicker than I was expecting. I've been playing UT2004 and HL2 and I know how to spot ghosting. There is hardly any. It's way quicker than the 8 ms TN panel SM913B I used to own. Even texture blur is minor. No obvious signs of excessive lag either.

Backlight bleed is minimal too, although it does have the 'IPS effect' described by mrk earlier in the thread and demonstrated in his video, which is somewhat similar to backlight bleed.

Other than that it's just a very nice screen. PIP is nice and works as expected. S-video and composite inputs are handy and work. OSD is generally great, although switching game/desktop/multimedia is a pain and a brightness shortcut (like samsungs magic bright button) would have been nice. Portrait mode I found hilarious since the screen is just so tall and thin (since it's a widescreen), but it's nice to have it.

Stand is very adjustable, build quality is excellent. Overall:very satisfied :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup the alt modes are pants but who uses special modes anyway? :)

The blocking issue sin compressed movies is to be expected, you're expanding a movie in compressed format encoded at like 640 wide to 1680 wide - this will almost always bring in blocking and banding like artefacts in movies.

I tested this theory and found all divx/xvid and compressed media suffered the issue - strangely cartoons (anime etc) did not suffer this issue probably because of their colour nature.

DVD and HD movies though are flawless, as sharp as they are on a smaller TFT or the 28" widescreen 100Hz Panasonic TV downstairs. No blocking or weirdness anywhere :)

I also don't notice any black detail issues either, It's very easy to see the detail in dark areas and I have brightness set to 45 using a DVI cable. - Have you checked your GFX cards colour settings ? (is it ATI btw?)

brightness seems perfect too and going by my reference photographs to calibrate using it certainly is "ok" at 50 but at 45 it's more neutral in brightness which is great for photos.

Yours is defo an IPS panel?

Soldato
Says A02 on the back and in the service menu it says V1B11 LPL WSXGA LM201W01 which I believe is IPS. The item listing on that well known auction site said rev A03 but I don't suppose that's a big deal really.

I'll have to try some HD movies trailers on it. Movie playback isn't an issue for me though since I didn't buy it for movies. Like I said it's just that it brings out the artifacts in compressed movies. I watched a few scenes from The Matrix using WinDVD and it looked a bit messy TBH. I'll test some other DVDs. I also want to try my xbox through the s-video.

The brightness thing, it depends what's on the screen. Look at a mostly white screen for several hours in a room that isn't lit well and brightness 40 can be too much. In a well lit room, or viewing a web page like the OcUK forums, and brightness 40 is fine.

The detail in dark areas - that might well depend on the brightness setting. I noticed some dark areas in HL2 looked like they were empty, but as the brightness was turned up, the detail appeared. If I had a decent camera I could show you it.

Video card is ATI X1800XT and all colour setting are default (6.10 drivers freshly installed today).

Soldato
Been testing some more and it's definitely about brightness. As the brightness goes below 50 the detail in dark areas drops off quite sharply. A good scene to demonstrate it on - HL2 - start a new game, get off the train, go left through the turnstyle and turn left, straight on your right there's a dark section with a phone along a wall. See what happens as you turn the brightness down from 50 to 40 and then 30. The wall, the detail on the wall and phone dissapear. It's not a problem though, you just use the screen at brightness 50.

The problem is at brightness 50 any app which is mainly white can be a real pain to use and cause sore eyes, for me anyway. Here's a screenshot from Visual C++. Download it, put it in a folder alone, view it with windows image viewer and then hit F11 to go full screen. Try looking at it for ten minutes and see how your eyes feel. Now imagine looking at it for 5 hours.

http://www.sbdev.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/VC.jpg

Again though it's not a major problem, it just means I'll have to change the brightness depending on whether I'm playing a game or using apps. Hence a brightness shortcut button would have been handy.

Associate
hey guys, what connection do you use for your Xbox 360 on this? Im considering getting one, but the 21" samsung with component keeps tempting me...
will mainly use for PC/360 gaming, Photoshop/webdesign work and general web browsing.

Cheers! :D

Soldato
mrk said:
Hmmperhaps you have more sensitive eyes to brightness, you vampire you :)
Hehe :) I am delighted with the screen overall.
Cannaton said:
hey guys, what connection do you use for your Xbox 360 on this? Im considering getting one, but the 21" samsung with component keeps tempting me...
will mainly use for PC/360 gaming, Photoshop/webdesign work and general web browsing.

Cheers! :D
The 360 VGA lead would be the best option. I dunno if s-video can take a HD signal. From what I've read, assuming you get the IPS panel, this screen should be quicker and have less lag than the Samsung.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom