RAM help, why wont it boot?

Soldato
Ill try to be a simple as i can.

I have two computers. This computer, (PC1) has 1GB (2x512mb) Geil Value Dual channel DDR1 RAM and PC2 has some Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR1 memory. I cant remember the model.

FEAR was being very laggy with a lot of HDD light flashing on PC1. So i swapped the RAM. This made all the difference to the performance and would like to keep the switch a permanent arrangement.

However when I put the 1GB from PC1 into PC2 it will not boot. Both computers have the same motherboard and i can't seem to get my head around the problem. I have tried every combination in respects to the amount of ram and which slots they are in with no luck.

All i can think of is that i updated the BIOS in PC2 so it would work with the Opteron. Not sure if this would make a difference or not??

Spec of PC1 is below.
Spec of PC2 is:
Seasonic S12 600W
AMD Opteron UP 144 San Diego 1.8GHz 1MB Cache
XFX 7800GT Extreme
Asus A8N SLI Premium

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
topgun06 said:
It must be one of these then:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS_Memory.html

The sticks have the appearence of the 4th one down.

I just had it in mind that it was DDR2 must be wrong, sorry.

The corsair probably made a difference due to having better latencies. I'm guessing the GeIL Value doesn't want to run in the other board because of the BIOS revision, or perhaps just a CMOS reset is needed for it to pick up the different DIMMS. :)

Back
Top Bottom