Blokes - would you wear an engagement ring?

Man of Honour
Yep, I had an engagement ring from my first wife. I sold it to go towards my wifes engagement ring about 6 years ago.

It was a single diamond set in platinum and gold.

I was a lovely ring though and I wore it all the time :)

Man of Honour
Geeez, the feminists have got to you lot, did you have to hand over your gonads in exchange for the ring? :p

Soldato
Yup, wear mine all the time, but its not on the correct finger as the missus bought it the wrong size.
Only reason not to wear IMO is if you dont want to appear unavailable, in which case you shouldnt be making a life long promise to love and cherish in the first place
Or some people just simply cannot get on with them, jewellery takes some getting used to if you dont normally wear it.

Man of Honour
You all make it sound like a danty little feminine style ring when in truth mens rings are quite masculine (I know I'm going to regret that statement lol) and cool looking. No different to all the damn "bling" that young chavs are wearing nowadays.

Soldato
Male engagement rings tend to be very plain, personally that suit's my style down to the ground in terms of jewelry so i would deffinently wear one given the chance!

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
No different to all the damn "bling" that young chavs are wearing nowadays.

You're not really selling it to me with this statement.

I don't see why a bloke can't have an engagement ring and wear it on whichever finger he likes.

I know a lot of blokes who wear their wedding rings on their little fingers, along with a family ring.

Mind, there's also a bloke I keep seeing in the lift who wears a Lizzy Duke special with 'DAD' on it on his right middle finger. As long as your ring doesn't look like this, you're not at the bottom of the ladder.

Man of Honour
From Wikipedia

In the United States, engagement rings are considered "conditional gifts" under the legal rules of Property. This is an exception to the general rule that gifts cannot be revoked once properly given. See for example Meyer v. Mitnick, 625 N.W.2d 136 (Michigan, 2001), finding the following reasoning persuasive; "the so-called, "modern trend," holds that because an engagement ring is an inherently conditional gift, once the engagement has been broken the ring should be returned to the donor. Thus, the question of who broke the engagement and why, or who was "at fault," is irrelevant. This is the no-fault line of cases."

...and they say romance is dead. :p

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla said:
Why waste the money if you're not going to wear it?

I just didn't get a wedding ring and blokes ones aren't even mentioned in CofE services prior to 1920.

I bought a watch instead.
That's actually a great idea.

But anyway, I'm not getting married I don't think. Always ends in divorce :p

Pug

Pug

Soldato
bikes said:
An engagement ring for a man :eek:

Get real :p

hehe

nah, dont think i would tbh. Would wear a wedding ring, but not an engagement ring. It goes against convention, and is pretty "american" in tradition...

Back
Top Bottom