This Week only.

Permabanned
Been looking at the NEC MultiSync® LCD20WGX2 20.1 for a while and Santa
has been recently asking what to bring me so I am wondering.

1.Is this the best I can do for around this price ?(mainly used for gaming)

2.Is there anything due to be released that is worth waiting for rather than
the NEC. ? - this usually happens once i buy somit :( .

3.With a 22" screen are the pixels just bigger as both have the same res.
and if so is there much difference in quality between 20.1 and 22 ?

Any feedback to the above would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Caporegime
Angus01 said:

1.Is this the best I can do for around this price ?(mainly used for gaming)

Debateable. I own one, and i have to say it offers the best colours and brightness of any widescreen monitor in its price range. However it is lacking some features that other monitors have, like the Dell 2007WFP has HDCP support. But has received mixed reviews and has a slow response time not suitable for serious gamers.
Angus01 said:
the NEC. ? - this usually happens once i buy somit :( .

i dont think there's details of anything upcomming that looks better than the NEC. However the Samsung 215TW does look to be worth a look. For the same money its an inch bigger, is heigh adjustable, pivots, swivels and tilts and is about the same price as the NEC. But i havent seen it in the flesh so cant comment on the image quality. Dell 2007WFP got mixed reviews, and not really a gamers panel with 16ms response. Ben Q and beline both had good reviews, but are undoubtadly not as good as the NEC. The viewsonic VX2025 is well priced, but not nearly as good as NEC in terms of colour and image quality. Same with the phillips 2000. The Asus looks good, but with the side speakers is huge.

almost 1 year on from buying the NEC, i'm still happy i've got the best monitor for what i want (bright colours, amazing contrast and image quality, and good response times for games)

Angus01 said:
3.With a 22" screen are the pixels just bigger as both have the same res.
and if so is there much difference in quality between 20.1 and 22 ?

Not really. 2 inches is a very small difference. And think about it, most 17 and 19 inch monitors run 1280 x 1024, but nobody complains about them, so if you do fancy one of the 22"ers then you'll be fine.

oh and just to sway you, heres a side by side picture of the NEC next to my old iiyama. Shows just how bright the colours are. The photo isnt the best, as the colours look slightly washed out in the photol but thats my camera, not the monitor

NEC%20Monitor%20001.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the comments and the pic.

I will have a look at the 215TW but I am nearly convinced to take the
plunge on the NEC.

Did you have any issues with dead / lazy pixels etc ?

Associate
Angus01 said:

the NEC. ? - this usually happens once i buy somit :(
Cheers

I believe NEC are releasing updated screens in December

www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/nec_press.htm#gx2 pro

I was looking at a new screen but I'm waiting to see what their like :)

Although no idea how it will be priced? hopefully about the same as the current ones

Caporegime
Frost said:
I believe NEC are releasing updated screens in December

www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/nec_press.htm#gx2 pro

I was looking at a new screen but I'm waiting to see what their like :)

Although no idea how it will be priced? hopefully about the same as the current ones

as i thought

There didn't seem to be any difference in the spec for the LCD20WGX2 Pro which is bound to attract the most attention. After checking with NEC product line they confirmed there is no change to the panel used or to the specs. The model is simply now "Soundbar 20W" compatible

no new 20" model. so nothing to worry the 20W GX2 yet then.

Caporegime
heres the 20WGX2 next to one of NEC's other models

as you can see in the photo (taken from tftcentral, thanks badass), the 20WGX2's colours stand out a mile compared to the one next to it

100_0573%20(Large).JPG

Man of Honour
one thing to understand about the pic there above of the NEC 20WGX2 next to their 1990FXp is that colour vibrancy does not necessarily equal colour accuracy. The 20WGX2 undoubtedly offers very vibrant and rich colours, due in part to it's glossy OtpiClear filter coating. However, while at that press event the 20WGX2 looked brighter and more vibrant next to even some of the NEC range aimed at colour enthusiasts, it doesnt necessarily mean colour accuracy is great at those kind of settings. For gamers and general users, i think most people would rather have vibrant and rich colours though and so this screen is certainly a very good choice in practice.

Having said that, I've got the screen with me at the moment and using the Lacie Blue Eye Pro calibration hardware on default factory settings (but with brightness turned down to a sensible level - 100% setting out of the box is too much! :p) the colour accuracy is as follows:

neclcd20wgx2defaultdeltlm7.jpg

in case some haven't seen these kind of graphs before, basically the lower the bars the better. When the DeltaE rating is 2 or below (on the Y axis) then colours are deemed accurate by Lacie. Out of the box, the colours were not particularly accurate, but the display still looks very nice in practice and very vibrant.

However, the screen is capable of producing accurate colours anyway, but you would need a good calibration device to achieve them.

neclcd20wgx2calibrateddkv9.jpg

Anyway, just pointing out differences between colour virbancy and accuracy.....i digress.

The screen is a very good gaming screen, arguably one of the best in the market right now and would be a good choice. The Samsung 215TW mentioned above is a good screen, but not really on par in terms of responsiveness sadly. Take a look at the pixel response time graphs from Toms Hardware for example:

latency.gif

Samsung 215TW

latency.gif

NEC 20WGX2

As you can see from these and if you read the reviews at THG and the likes, the Samsung is a nice screen, but cant match the responsiveness of the NEC. If you want a good gaming screen the NEC is one of the best. Apart from it's fast responsiveness, the DVM feature for dynamic contrast adjustment is a nice touch and can really help in gaming and movies.

One other thing to set straight regarding the Dell 2007WFP as well, it is a good gaming screen, and arguably better than quite a few of the 20" range which have a faster rated response time. While the response time of the Dell is listed at 16ms, this is a conservative figure based on traditional ISO response time measurements. LG.Philips who make the panel used in the Dell rate the screen with an 8ms G2G response time which Dell decided not to market for one reason or another. In practice the Dell is very responsive. Take a look at the review of it at BeHardware where they compare it with the NEC. Sadly I had to send the Dell back just before the NEC arrive otherwise i could also have compared them side by side, but I did find the Dell perfectly adequate for gaming and more responsive in tests than a 6ms TN Film panel in the Samsung SM205BW.

Associate
thanks for that info Badass, very helpful. I'm trying to decide on 20 - 22 " widescreen tft for gaming/movies/web and had narrowed it down to the samsung 215tw and the NEC 20wgx2. hadn't considered the Dell thinking the response time would be too slow.

Soldato
MrLOL said:
But has received mixed reviews and has a slow response time not suitable for serious gamers.
Despite the Dell specs, the 2007WFP is actually 8 ms GTG and is also a Philips IPS panel like in the NEC. It may even be the same panel, maybe Baddass will know.

I've got the 2007WFP myself, and it's a very quick screen. The 8 ms TN panel Samsung SM913B I used to own had twice as much ghosting as the Dell. Also Baddass in his review of the Dell 2007WFP and Samsung SM205BW (6ms GTG, TN panel) found the Dell to be the quicker.

So it's not the slow screen the specs would suggest, it's actually one of the quicker widescreens around. I've played UT2004 instagib on it, probably the fastest FPS around, and it performed amazingly well, far better than I expected. I also have some tests I do with certain games on TFTs to show ghosting/texture blur and again it performed very well.

You're right about mixed reviews though - black depth and movie playback are poor, although that could be said about all TFTs probably.

Back
Top Bottom