• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BFG 8800 GTX/GTS arriving at OcUK soon and some images for you all!!

Associate
InwardSinging said:
Id say anyones definition of slow down would be if the frame rate drops at all, its slowing down.

If its 30fps all the way then its not slowdown, if its 60 and goes to 30, its slowdown.

If a graphics card now could run EVERY game maxed out for me doing 60fps constantly then I wouldn't be upgrading to G80...

I'm sure that won't do it either, but it will be closer...and will feel "nicer"...

(1280x1024)

Associate
Darg said:
Haha.. if you'd read the rest of my sig you'd see I'm on an Asrock DUAL-VSTA board. The highest stable FSB is 300.

If you want to take a look at the valve hardware survey then you will see that 36.11% or people play on a 1280x1024 and 47.55% play on a 1024x768 resolution.
Less then 4% play on anything higher then 1280x1024.
I think it's fair to say that most people play on or below 1280x1024 resolution.

If you have money to waste then by all means spend it on whatever you want. If on the other hand like most people you don't have unlimited amounts of money then spend it on a very good DX9 card around £200 or less. They will play all games in the next year at full settings without a problem.

Totally flawed way of looking at it. The survey takes readings from ANYONE. ts not looking at people who game regularly, all the time, never.

Its just a statistic of every single person with hl2.

Most people in the world can't afford a computer, so a computer is a waste of money?

Most people can't afford to pay for health care bills...so going to hospital is stupid?

Ya can't argue with an idiot ;)

Associate
Fx-Overlord said:
But most (perhaps 80%) of them are playing on cards that are a lot slower than a 7600GT. Hell, around 25% of them are on 6600s, 9600s and 5200s! If you survey people with say, above x800xts/ 6800 ultras, i would hazard a guess most of them would play at least 1280, with a fair number playing at 1600x1200

Also, you have to remember that a lot of people in the valve survey will stay be playing CS and DoD, with many of them not going above 1280 resolution aswell, whilst in other games they would tend to go above that resolution. For example, i used to play CS at 1024 resolution but in other games i would try and at least use at least 1280x960 or 1450x1050 (and try to cripple my poor card! :p).

Bingo....

I'm too lazy to use good explanations, and hence look stupid. You knocked the nail on the head there with the first paragrah.

Associate
Given that a lot of ppl will be clammering to get these cards on the 08/11/2006 (at 1400 hours or whatever it was) - is it likely that the OCUK website will be overloaded? After all given there will only be two hundred initially in the UK (with half or so going to OCUK) surely a load of people (more so than normal) will be on the site trying to order (hence possibly causing some form of overload)?

Soldato
DarthVader said:
Given that a lot of ppl will be clammering to get these cards on the 08/11/2006 (at 1400 hours or whatever it was) - is it likely that the OCUK website will be overloaded?
It's never been overloaded before, and there's a gigantic rush and swarm of people clicking refresh repeatedly every time there's a launch.

Suspended
tempted to get one of these for a pc built for a mate, the budget for the actuall comp itself is 1100, thats minus the monitor so dont know if it will be over budget

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
About time one of the VGA Card developers took the brave step forwards and eliminated the need to waste money on buying 2 cards - IMO Crossfire and SLI are a fools game.

Nvidia still have SLI on the 8800 :confused:
Games will always need more performance. The 8800 will do nothing to stop this trend.

"Sli/Crossfire Fools Game". I have 2 7900 GTO's in SLI which cost me £220 and pretty much gives me similiar performance to an 8800 GTX in DX9. SLI works for me. Cheap way of getting extra performance if you do what I do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Asgard said:
Nvidia still have SLI on the 8800 :confused:
Games will always need more performance. The 8800 will do nothing to stop this trend.

"Sli/Crossfire Fools Game". I have 2 7900 GTO's in SLI which cost me £220 and pretty much gives me similiar performance to an 8800 GTX in DX9. SLI works for me. Cheap way of getting extra performance if you do what I do.

I think what hes getting at is that one current single card is all that is needed now.

Right now it offers Xfire/sli performance in a single card allowing a more future proof upgrade path...

Where have you got to go now?

Both your slots are filled with GTO's

Soldato
easyrider said:
I think what hes getting at is that one current single card is all that is needed now.

Right now it offers Xfire/sli performance in a single card allowing a more future proof upgrade path...

Where have you got to go now?

Both your slots are filled with GTO's

Agreed but my option gives similiar performance for half the price. Crysis is delayed I dont see anything on the horizon that will tax my setup including Crysis. The loss the GTO's will take will be far less than an 8800 in 6 months time.

My options are Sell in 6 Months time and take a 50 quid hit. What hit will the 8800 take ??

Yes I will be buying a 8800 GTX.

Basically the point I'm making is SLI is a cheap option that provides excellent performance.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Asgard said:
Agreed but my option gives similiar performance for half the price. Crysis is delayed I dont see anything on the horizon that will tax my setup including Crysis. The loss the GTO's will take will be far less than an 8800 in 6 months time.

My options are Sell in 6 Months time and take a 50 quid hit. What hit will the 8800 take ??

Yes I will be buying a 8800 GTX.

Basically the point I'm making is SLI is a cheap option that provides excellent performance.

:)

I'm talking more about the whole market for SLI and CrossFire - the VGA card makers are more than capable of creating a card with that sort of performance on one unit rather than 2. All they are doing is creating a market so that they can some how justify spending money on 2 cards...

Soldato
SteveOBHave said:
I'm talking more about the whole market for SLI and CrossFire - the VGA card makers are more than capable of creating a card with that sort of performance on one unit rather than 2. All they are doing is creating a market so that they can some how justify spending money on 2 cards...

Its called running a Business and making money :)

Soldato
The Asgard said:
Its called running a Business and making money :)

LOL - oh I know that - and it is smart, but it doesn't mean that it's right :D
The irony is that we as the consumer have the power to eliminate such markets, but it takes having the alternative technology handed to us on a platter before we change.

Caporegime
ernysmuntz said:
Totally flawed way of looking at it. The survey takes readings from ANYONE. ts not looking at people who game regularly, all the time, never.

Its just a statistic of every single person with hl2.

Most people in the world can't afford a computer, so a computer is a waste of money?

Most people can't afford to pay for health care bills...so going to hospital is stupid?

Ya can't argue with an idiot ;)

unfortunately its true, but you can always try to enlighten one;

only the top 5-10% of gamers will have DX10 hardware during the next 6 months. will software companies only release DX10 games bearing in mind that they will exclude the remaining 90% of their buying market if they do?

so if you were to spend less now, save up and wait until DX 10 games were the norm, and wait for refresher DX10 cards in 6 months/year, you would probably have better performance, and have spent the same/less for it!

of course the top 10% are always going to be the early adopters, and good luck to them, they help maintain the product life cycle. but they will pay for the privelege.

Caporegime
Nickg said:
so if you were to spend less now, save up and wait until DX 10 games were the norm, and wait for refresher DX10 cards in 6 months/year, you would probably have better performance, and have spent the same/less for it!

of course the top 10% are always going to be the early adopters, and good luck to them, they help maintain the product life cycle. but they will pay for the privelege.

I want sli/xfire performance now in dx9.

The 8800 GTX will provide me this and will be cheaper than buying two x1950's or 7900 GTX's

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
Looks like the UK prices are a bit higher than EU prices, I can pre-order a MSI 8800GTX for €557.63 incl VAT (£373) and a MSI 8800GTS for €428.19 (£287)

But no word on how much they will receive.

What? £373 INCLUDING VAT?
Can't be right :|

Do you know how cheap that is excluding?
Do you know I don't pay VAT Here? At the price I might aswell get 2!

Doubt it, I was expecting to pay around and under £400. If not I will still get one :p

Back
Top Bottom